Axiom shooting 100 grain Broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GarXbow

Axiom shooting 100 grain Broadhead

Post by GarXbow »

Good evening everyone! Just finally got my first crossbow, an Axiom as a present from an absolutely amazing girlfriend. Shot it in with the provided firebolt bolts and 150 grain field tips. She also picked up some 100 grain toxic broadheads for me. Here is my question... I know Excalibur recommends shooting their 150 boltcutters, but I'm in love with the toxics. Is it okay to shoot 100 grain BH's on the stock firebolt out of a stock Axiom? Will there be negative effects to the flightpath, etc.? Oh, I do plan on ordering the toxic practice tips if you guys think it will be an okay combo, if not I'll be returning them for something a little fatter! Any advice will be appreciated, thank y'all!
Riflemanz

Re: Axiom shooting 100 grain Broadhead

Post by Riflemanz »

You can shoot 100gr heads no problem.
Shoot a real one and see how it groups.
Slick tricks shoot great.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
wabi

Post by wabi »

Can't say for sure how those 100 gr broadheads will shoot with the arrows you have, just too many variables for me to even guess.

I can say I shoot a Phoenix (I've had it since they were first introduced) and it's the basically the same bow performance-wise. I've never used anything but 100 grain points with my aluminum arrows (2216s currently), and get the great accuracy I've come to expect. I've found most mechanicals shoot great and I've also had good results with G-5 Montec and Wac'Em Exit fixed blade broadheads.
wabi
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Those have aluminum front inserts which are a little light. You can shoot 100 grains so long as you get the accuracy you want.
Congrats on the great crossbow!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
bubba

Post by bubba »

I shoot a Ibex with 100 grain slick tricks, and they fly great total weight 374 grains, just make sure you set your scope up to match your broad heads p.o.i. and you should be fine. practice with 100 grain field points. But when you get ready for the hunt make sure what ever broad head you use shoot to verify point of impact .........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

As long as your total weight is higher then 350grains shoot whatever flys the best! Congrats on the bow!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
galamb

Post by galamb »

Yes, as others stated, you are "safe" - depending on the exact nocks/inserts and when they were built they (the firebolts) are usually in the 267-273 grain range, so with a 100 grain broadhead you are safely over the 350 grain minimum.

If I was you I would shoot some target with your firebolts and both 150 grain and 100 grain field points.

I think you will find the groups are "consistently" tighter with the 150 grain tips.

Yes, they will hit lower, but the group should be better.

Excal pairs the firebolts with the 150 grain heads to get the Front of Center (FOC) up where they found it works well.

That is why most of us, who shoot 100 grain heads, switch from the (factory) Firebolts to one of the various offerings that have heavy front inserts (90-110 grains).

There is not too many out there that would argue that Excal's, particularly from the pre-matrix line, group considerably "better" (albeit fly slower) with high/extreme FOC arrows.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
GarXbow

Post by GarXbow »

Good deal, thanks for the advice guys. Looks like I'll go ahead and get some 100gr practice tips, and see what I learn from that. Good to know others are shooting similar weight combos with no problems, now I'm really interested to see how the grouping is affected. Thanks again, great forum!
greentag

Post by greentag »

i shoot 100 grain heads,but with a black eagle executioner with a 110 grain brass front insert,they shoot awsome,same spot,cant shoot at the same spot twice or youll hit the arrow or shoot the veins off the one stuck!!
2004 Exomax
same ole Varizone
Danny Miller's strings
20" Black Eagle Executioner's with Blazers
100 grain 2" Swackers
(why such wide limbs you ask?.......cause chicks dig em!)
kmaxwell5

Post by kmaxwell5 »

I have an Axiom and shoot 100 grn Muzzy 4 blade and 100 grn Rage and never have any trouble. Kills deer dead to!! :D