45-70 Government for Caribou

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Tigerpaw

45-70 Government for Caribou

Post by Tigerpaw »

First I have to apoligize for asking a gun question on our crossbow forum but I have grown to respect the forum members and so I will hope to be forgiven.
45-70 Government for caribou, is this enough gun for the job?

Has anyone gone up to Nunavut to hunt big game and if so any
help on Regs ect. would be most helpful. I read on the net that you are not allowed to hunt in Nunavut for big game without a guide! Is this true? I am a canadian why would I need a guide in Nunavut but not Ontario? If anyone has hunted in the great white north and has some good input I would be greatful for the advice. I will be there from 8th aug to the 6th of sept. And I am taking my 45-70 marlin with me.
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Tigerpaw,

The .45-70 is surely enough gun (for anything in North America IMHO) as long as the range is kept reasonable (inside 200m IMHO)

Up close that thing's a stomper!

From what I understand, you can encounter some really long shot opportunities in this type of hunting though. IMHO something that shoots flatter and faster would be a better bet.

Mike

Post by Guest »

Tiger Paw- Ditto to what Red Label said. I haven't made the trip yet(Hope to some day though!) but have spoken to people who have hunted Caribou and they say it isn't much of a challenge because there are so many and just about any firearm(even a muzzleloader or slug gun) will do given appropriate range. That being said it is really the trip to the far North that is the big adventure and not so much the hunt. If you go don't forget to pack a fishing rod because I hear they have some really good fishing too.
Regards,
Doug
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

I agree you need something that will shoot flatter. If I'm not mistaken the rifle your planning on using is a lever action. If your a big fan of lever actions you may want to take a look at a Savage 99 in .308win. or drop more cash and go with a Browning BLR. I hope you post some pictures of your trip. Good Luck.
stump

Caribou with a 45-70

Post by stump »

Tigerpaw, I haven't been up there yet, but have booked a fishing/hunting trip for September 2005. I called some references provided by the outfitter and they all agreed if the caribou are migrating you can get very close. In fact, they stated the biggest caribou were taken with a bow, compound and cross. They also told me that there wouldn't be any difficulty if you need to borrow a rifle from another hunter, as most of them bring more than one. I plan to take my emag and switch to a rifle if need be.
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

Thanks for the replies. have any of you traveled by air with a scoped gun? I heard that a hard gun case is what you need but then I was told that the case has to be preserized or you risk harming the gun. Any thoughts?
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Our guys have routinely flown to Thunder Bay for moose camp with their guns in plastic hard cases (aluminum is much better) with no adverse effects. I think a good modern scope can take the 30,000ft pressure drop with no problem. If you are truly worried about it, take the scope in your carry on luggage, remount and rezero at camp.

Incidentally when we go west this fall we are sending our guns in advance as we have to travel througn the USA on connecting flights and want to avoid the B.S. with customs.

fyi,

Mike
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

As you may be able to tell by my handle I am a fan of the .45-70. If you make your own loads a 400 grain Speer flatnose can be pushed to 1600+fps(out of the 1895 Guide Gun) and with this load any North American animal is fair game. I would keep my shots within a 100 yards even though there will still be plenty of whoomph beyond the big bullets drop fairly quick.

Post by Guest »

Caribou are not hard to kill. A lighter caliber would work well, and may have a flatter trajectory, and be less affected by cross wind. Wind can be a factor on the tundra, given the absence of trees. The 45/70 is a fine round, but you don't need to be slinging such a big gob of lead. You might want more range and wind resistance.
Woodsman

Post by Woodsman »

I have been twice for Quebec caribou. A 45-70 is alright... if you get to see them close. If it's all you have, I hope they will pass close to you. Average shots are 200 yards.

Both times I have been I have not seen any large migrations only 10 - 20 at a time. Closest one shot 75 yards...furthest 400+ yards...all with a .30-06. Once hit they usually drop or just stand there waiting for your second shot. Caribou do not require a big gun. A .243 or .257 is enough gun.

I think you are handicapping yourself with that gun.
Pete

The great outdoors is where I want to be.
claude

Post by claude »

I own 45-70 I like the caliber but its a fairly short range weapon and
i don't recomend it for open country

Post by Guest »

.270 win cannot go wrong :)
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

Tigerpaw, the way I see it, a caribou hunt isn't cheap, and involves a lot of time planning. If it were me, I'd hate to spend all that money and time, only to end up frustrated, due to not having the appropriate firearm.

If that's the only gun you have, I suppose you'll have to make due and hope for the best. However, IMHO a .30 caliber would be more suitable.

A caribou hunt is a hunt of a lifetime, so even though buying another rifle means spending a bit more money, when compared to the cost of the hunt, it's a small, but worthwhile investment that will last you a lifetime.

If you have a preference for lever-actions, I'd suggest a .308 Browning BLR. It's a rugged firearm, which is versitile, easy to carry and holds it resale value.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I don't see the 45-70 as a handicap. I see it as a challenge, just as hunting with a crossbow is. The ranges are shorter, requiring the hunter to hunt. And if I had the money I would go after caribou with a 45-70 Guide Gun. If guys can harvest them with a bow then why can't I with a short range rifle?
Tigerpaw

Post by Tigerpaw »

You got it chris4570! from all the reading I have been doing alot of record caribou have been taken with a bow. As you say I may have to hunt a bit harder then someone with a long range rifle but as a bow hunter it is the hunt that I love not just a harvest. I own a Marlin 1985GS 45-70 Goverment with a Ellite 3200 Bushnell. This gets me a regular hit on the target at 200 yards. I am a crossbow hunter at heart but must say that I love this gun!!! What brand of shell would a guy use to get the range? Agian thanks to all for the replies.