Horton crossbow scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Re: Horton crossbow scope

Post by amythntr »

strum wrote:
amythntr wrote:
strum wrote:the problem I have with the redfields and others is they look huge on the matrix bows so im thinking they are longer than the Micro :mrgreen:
.why put a cheap scope like that on such a fine piece of precision equipment such as an Excalibur Crossbow...JMHO

Anthony :)
Anthony I agree but case it point :shock: TZ :shock:
in the end if you look thought the scope , put the crosshair on the target ,pull the trigger, and the arrow is in the circle..what's the difference how much it cost?
Im just talking here...

....oh I do agree with you Stan. However, if there is a chance that one day you will go out hunting, after spending time scouting and doing all the right things and the buck of a lifetime steps into your shooting lane...you bring up your scope and it craps out on you, or your field of vision is blurry, or the eye relief is somehow screwy ...would you or would you not feel kind of (even just a tinsy weenie) upset...How could you possibly justify it to yourself...

...that is why, again IMHO I would lean toward buying the best optics that you can afford and crown your Excalibur with that...

...I am sure that most people spend more money on breakfast, lunch, coffee, cigarettes and snicker bars than these Horton scopes cost....as a previous poster posted, they are now on sale for $8.99....

....I am just talking here Stan also...no harm, no foul....

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
strum

Post by strum »

Ok Anthony you talked me out of it ..im not buying one :lol: :lol: :lol
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

strum wrote:Ok Anthony you talked me out of it ..im not buying one :lol: :lol: :lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: ....too funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
strum

Post by strum »

amythntr wrote:
strum wrote:Ok Anthony you talked me out of it ..im not buying one :lol: :lol: :lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: ....too funny :lol: :lol: :lol:

I just looked at natchez....price is $6.99 I still aint buying one..
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

...dang, they must make their money on the shipping to you :lol: :lol: :lol:

...they have a 2.5 inch eye relief vs a 4.2 inch ER on the Leupold Crossbones...and it is not really compact at 10"....

However it is very economical coming in a $.69 /inch...which I heard is the new way for determining scope quality :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Go get your self a 2X7 Burris and for get about it :)

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

just got my new Redfield Revenge scope from Natchez yesterday and it is nice . it was a blemished one but I can't see were .it scholders nice can't wait for the weather to brake so I can set it up yes Leupold and Redfield are one company . the scope has no lights in it but it picks up enough for legal light . got a light on my TZ and never used it .
W.M.
strum

Post by strum »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:Go get your self a 2X7 Burris and for get about it :)

Wes
You eating a hamburger :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

I don't think you could loose at that price,,,those scopes were not all that bad,,,the SS330 VARIABLE POWER is similar to the Verizone,,,the scopes packaged "vertically" were made by HAWKE,,,the others packaged "horizontal" were not,,,the SS047 is a clear and light multi reticle,,had a narrow field of site,,,look at the 11000 for a wider field of view :wink:
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
galamb

Post by galamb »

I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a couple at that price.

I read accounts of when Horton went bankrupt. Probably some liquidator got a hold of a pile of the stock at a couple of cents on the dollar and is now blowing the stuff out at 10 cents on the dollar.

Ten Point bought all the equipment, the trademarks and the name and stated that they would relaunch Horton with an entirely new line "soon" (that was back in 2013).

Horton made a decent product for the most part - owned a couple Horton crossbows before switching to Excalibur. It was hit/miss with their 3 dot/red dot scopes (loved them if they worked, but many didn't right out of the box), their (traditional) optics weren't bad by any means for a "packaged" scope.

For that price you could throw one in your day pack.

You know, your high end scope could crap out in the field and a cheapie scope slapped on and a few test shots could save the day.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

galamb wrote:I wouldn't hesitate to pick up a couple at that price.

I read accounts of when Horton went bankrupt. Probably some liquidator got a hold of a pile of the stock at a couple of cents on the dollar and is now blowing the stuff out at 10 cents on the dollar.

Ten Point bought all the equipment, the trademarks and the name and stated that they would relaunch Horton with an entirely new line "soon" (that was back in 2013).

Horton made a decent product for the most part - owned a couple Horton crossbows before switching to Excalibur. It was hit/miss with their 3 dot/red dot scopes (loved them if they worked, but many didn't right out of the box), their (traditional) optics weren't bad by any means for a "packaged" scope.

For that price you could throw one in your day pack.

You know, your high end scope could crap out in the field and a cheapie scope slapped on and a few test shots could save the day.

...well that sheds some new light on the matter regarding Horton's bankruptcy, Tenpoint taking over with the intent of launching a new line and possibly blowing out the old inventory having paid cents on the dollar. It might make sense to pick up a couple for that, just in the case situation when you are waiting for a new "x" to be delivered. With regard to throwing one 10" scope in a daypack, you obviously have never seen what an Italian lunch is :lol: :lol: :lol: ....However,

... I personally have never heard of a Leupold crapping out...not saying it doesn't happen, but no one I know has ever had this happen....It WAS a great followup post Galamb though!

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

Horton surplus parts inventories were auctioned off to a variety of liquidators,who know nothing about what they bought,,,there were also a number of former Horton employees that got into the action ,,,most of these Horton parts are on Ebay,,doing well,,there are a lot of die hard Horton fans out there,,,I'm one of them,,My Hawk,,,which I modified and apptly named Superhawk is my backup,,,built like a tank,,,shoots great and never hardly touch it
Tenpoint bought the trademark and of few assets but no parts,they are set to launch the new Horton,USA made bows at the ATA show,,,teaser adds/posts have been floating around :!:
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
galamb

Post by galamb »

I wasn't necessarily talking about your Leopold crapping out - but indulge me.

You are putting your bow on the holder in the tree stand and ooooops - 15 or 20 feet to the ground and lands on the scope.

Pulling the bow up with a rope - it turns the wrong way and "whack".

Maybe not the end of the world if you are 1/2 hour from home, but if you have invested some time and money to "get hunting"....

Do you carry an extra string and the stringer just in case? If you can carry a scope as well (for 1/4 the cost of that string), why not???

Do I have "extra optics" in my pack - actually I do. I shoot a reflexive red dot so I do have a back-up, that has been on the bow and dialed in (which should make it "close" if I have to install at some point), plus spare batteries for the scope, flashlight, range finder etc.

Because you know that the biggest buck you will ever see in your life will be standing full broadside, totally un-obstructed @ 15 yards at the exact moment a crucial piece of kit is "down", preventing you from taking a shot :lol:
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

strum I had 2 of those on my Horton bows and they were fine. They have multiple reticles and a fixed power so you will just have to figure it out. If I recall with my old Legend SL, a 20 yd zero had the second crosshair at like 35-37 yds. That bow was doing like 275fps with a 400gr arrow.

Be a good backup.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
strum

Post by strum »

having a backup laying around the house is not a bad idea but to carry one in my pack..no way...not saying your wrong for doing it but where do you stop at bring backup stuff?...I go light as I possibly can..that may bite me someday :D
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony