Grim reaper didn't open! Pic added!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Riflemanz

Grim reaper didn't open! Pic added!

Post by Riflemanz »

My buddy shot a 7pt buck on 12-31 and he said his grim reaper didn't open, the buck went 95yds, he did have snow to track. Maybe his axiom is too slow for a mech head? I don't know! I'll post pic later. Any thoughts?
Last edited by Riflemanz on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
coolhl

Re: Grim reaper didn't open!

Post by coolhl »

where was point of entry? was there an exit?
Jerod B.

Post by Jerod B. »

If it hits something hard to stop it after exiting, the blades fold forward and appear to have never opened.

Does he have pics of at least the exit wound??

Interesting....
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

...I was very unhappy when I bought the GR's to try at the beginning of the season...pieces came apart in my hand...went to the Spitfire MAXX 100g and have not turned back since...JMHO

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

I have had GR's not open on two occasions. I have since discarded them. The first instance was on a red fox. No problem recovering the fox as they are small and the hole without opening was sufficient.......easier on the fur too if they don't open lol.

The second instance was on a buck......I'll include I was using a compound bow here. This is a pic I took while cutting the deer, the GR in the photo is exactly where it was found after I removed a backstrap. I have been told by others that before using these BH's, I should confirm that they are aligned correctly by lifting up on the back of the blades to confirm they are free to move. Well, I made a decision that I do not need a blade where I have to perform some test every time I use them. So I don't use them anymore....

E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?

Post by newbie »

ive had no issues with gr heads. if you dont pay attention and screw them together wrong they will lock the blades almost. I TEST every head i use no matter the brand for blade function first before placing in a quiver. I worry about them opening in flight not opening on an animal.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Riflemanz

Re: Grim reaper didn't open! Pic added!

Post by Riflemanz »

Looks like a double lung shot?
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

newbie wrote:ive had no issues with gr heads. if you dont pay attention and screw them together wrong they will lock the blades almost. I TEST every head i use no matter the brand for blade function first before placing in a quiver. I worry about them opening in flight not opening on an animal.

....not trying to be critical here Mike but when a BH takes that much thinking, including parts coming apart in my hands, they are not for me....I wish I would have known that you used them back in May..I would have shipped them to you at no cost and free shipping just to get them OUT OF MY SIGHT!

The 100g Spitfire MAXX are for me ...alway deploying upon impact at (at least from what I have seen.)....they fly true, have practice blades and are nice and snug without bands...although some use the dental bands....

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

Definitely e-nuff power,,try a Magnus Buzz Cut,,,never have to worry again :wink:
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

Hey Mike next time we shoot I want to test one of those out of my matrix and see how it flies!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline

Post by newbie »

amythntr wrote:
newbie wrote:ive had no issues with gr heads. if you dont pay attention and screw them together wrong they will lock the blades almost. I TEST every head i use no matter the brand for blade function first before placing in a quiver. I worry about them opening in flight not opening on an animal.

....not trying to be critical here Mike but when a BH takes that much thinking, including parts coming apart in my hands, they are not for me....I wish I would have known that you used them back in May..I would have shipped them to you at no cost and free shipping just to get them OUT OF MY SIGHT!

The 100g Spitfire MAXX are for me ...alway deploying upon impact at (at least from what I have seen.)....they fly true, have practice blades and are nice and snug without bands...although some use the dental bands....

no worries Anthony i have a few packs laying around. Most broadheads will come apart in your hands before being screwed onto a shaft ;). Thats what makes this sport so interesting so many broadheads bows arrows etc we all can find our favorite. I can send you a pack if you want to try them again. I have some Killzones coming to try out.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

...I am good MIke...thanks for the offer though...you are so true about the variety of BH's , bows, etc. etc...that is what make the world go around

...I can say however that the Spitfires are rock solid, with no coller's holding the blades in place, it takes effort to pull the blades out and they open on impact...that is what I want in a mechanical and that is what they provide to me...

I got too much to think about when I go hunting...are my shoes tied tight enough, do I have all my stuff on me, did I grab my lunch ( :lol: )...etc....

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I shot a doe a few years ago with a GR...22 yds broadside with my ibex. Tucked it in tight behind the front shoulder, watched her kick...dead deer no problem or so i thought. Gave her an hour then climbed down to where i shot her. There was no blood :shock: Well after two hours of grid searches i finally found her in a thicket, no blood where she was laying. :?
When i skinned her there was a small hole the size of a dime going in & going out, double lunged but the broad head obviously did not open. Enough for me, went back to my spitfires & a'int looking back!!
Not trying to brow beat them, just my one and only experience with them. :)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Pa.hunter

Post by Pa.hunter »

amythntr wrote:...I was very unhappy when I bought the GR's to try at the beginning of the season...pieces came apart in my hand...went to the Spitfire MAXX 100g and have not turned back since...JMHO

X2 Spitfires took 2 deer this year will not use anything else.

Charlie
Matrix 405 with Leupold VX-R FireDot duplex
Matrix 380 Xtra with Leupold VX-R FireDot duplex
Matrix 330 with Leupold Crossbones
TriggerTech Matrix hunter 2.5 in all 3
Black Eagles
Spike Country

Post by Spike Country »

I've shot allot of deer some turkeys and a few bears with them and most have went down insight. I bet most people never take a moment to read the directions, if they did they might not have some of the mentioned problems. I'll admit I didn't read them until a friend told me.
MICHIGAN MEAT HUNTER "Shooting Tomorrows Trophies Today"
Proud member of the Michigan Crossbow Federation!