Excalibur Axiom
Leupold VX1 2-7 33mm
HHA Optimiser
Normous

Re: Leupold vx vs vxr

Post by Normous »

archerytho wrote:One last question would going to the 50 mm be an "upgrade"
Or is it not needed and is a lesser quality glass that the 40 and 30 mm
Light gathering is mainly a product of glass quality. High quality glass in 30 or 40 mm will gather more light than 50 mm lower quality glass.
I always recommend buying the best glass that your wallet can afford, then you will never regret your purchase.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
archerytho

Post by archerytho »

Normous wrote:
Light gathering is mainly a product of glass quality. High quality glass in 30 or 40 mm will gather more light than 50 mm lower quality glass.
I always recommend buying the best glass that your wallet can afford, then you will never regret your purchase.
So a vx2 3-9 40mm would be superior to a vx1 3-9 50mm?
Excalibur Axiom
Leupold VX1 2-7 33mm
HHA Optimiser
Normous

Post by Normous »

I would not say superior but close, given the choice I would choose the better glass in the VX-2 40mm over the VX-1 in 50mm.
For me the 3-9 VX-2 would be lighter in weight and perform as good and likely better in twilight performance than the VX-1 50 mm.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
luckymike

Post by luckymike »

optics planet currently has vxr's starting at $499.00
matrix 355,330
slicktrick 125
black eagle executioners
vixenmaster strings
nikon bolt
triggertech
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

luckymike wrote:optics planet currently has vxr's starting at $499.00
OP didn't sate where he was from, so if he's in Canada or overseas, Optics Planet or any other US dealer is probably a no-go, (right, Norm?). :lol:

That's probably why he can't find one for under $700, the prices are jacked up outside the US. I have found amazing deals using eBay for all 4 of my Leupold scopes, but I live in a border town and order through the US site.

Whatever you decide on buying, you'll have a scope that will outlive you and will be sure upgrade over what you have.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Normous

Post by Normous »

racking up points wrote:
OP didn't sate where he was from, so if he's in Canada or overseas, Optics Planet or any other US dealer is probably a no-go, (right, Norm?). :lol:
Optics Planet does not make it easy for Canadians!!!
I know :roll:
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Normous wrote:
A 30mm tube as compared to a 1" tube will also gather more light, as well as offering more adjustment. These are "pricey" scopes but Leupold doesnt usually charge a wad of money for gimmicks.There are added features and benefits, making this a lot of scope for the $$.
archerytho

Post by archerytho »

Thanks lucky mike about $80 shipping so $580 might not order online incase it gets caught in customs.
Excalibur Axiom
Leupold VX1 2-7 33mm
HHA Optimiser
Normous

Post by Normous »

archerytho, I am assuming that you are Canadian, right?
Customs is not the issue, you can import a scope easily into Canada without issue or paperwork, just pay GST and your good to go. I have done this many times.

The problem is when a US Optic vendor recognizes your Canadian Credit Card and shipping address you will be asked to verify your Export Permit for firearm related parts and that could take months to obtain. It is illegal for them to ship any firearm related parts to Canada without that permit and you will be denied purchase.

Secondly, The Canadian Korth group that imports Leupold into Canada will not warrant any Leupold scope purchased in the US and brought back physically into Canada. Each scope has a serial number and Korth will know its origin.

What I do is purchase my scopes in person in the US and declare them when I return to Canada. Most of the time I pay nothing upon return because I stay 48 hours or longer and have an $800 exemption. If I ever have a Warranty issue I will have to return physically to the US and return it to Leupold and re enter the scope physically back to Canada after repair.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Normous wrote:archerytho, I am assuming that you are Canadian, right?
Customs is not the issue, you can import a scope easily into Canada without issue or paperwork, just pay GST and your good to go. I have done this many times.

The problem is when a US Optic vendor recognizes your Canadian Credit Card and shipping address you will be asked to verify your Export Permit for firearm related parts and that could take months to obtain. It is illegal for them to ship any firearm related parts to Canada without that permit and you will be denied purchase.

Secondly, The Canadian Korth group that imports Leupold into Canada will not warrant any Leupold scope purchased in the US and brought back physically into Canada. Each scope has a serial number and Korth will know its origin.

What I do is purchase my scopes in person in the US and declare them when I return to Canada. Most of the time I pay nothing upon return because I stay 48 hours or longer and have an $800 exemption. If I ever have a Warranty issue I will have to return physically to the US and return it to Leupold and re enter the scope physically back to Canada after repair.
X2
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
archerytho

Post by archerytho »

Normous wrote:archerytho, I am assuming that you are Canadian, right?

Ok my location is Australia (I have never said that on here before) the laws seem quite similar to what you mentioned for Canada. I don't think I will risk it because it is a bit more strict.

Thank you for all your help.
Excalibur Axiom
Leupold VX1 2-7 33mm
HHA Optimiser
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

I have been thinking of a VXR for a shotgun .would thy hold up to the recoil of slugs and heavy turkey loads ,.I am also looking for all the advise I can get for the best shotgun scope for the money with a lighted retical Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver