Short arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MDM44

Re: Short arrows

Post by MDM44 »

Good call, won't get to shoot again until Tuesday. Matched all field points, will try rotating vanes if problem persists.
Boo

Post by Boo »

The stock arrows are not fletched with Blazers. Blazers are stiffer and are textured. If you fletch using an Arizona EZ Fletch Bolt using Blazers, you will tighten up your groups.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

back in the day before we got excels we all shot and hunted with horton hunters we had are arrows made up for us by a buddy that cut them all to 15inches with brass inserts so we could shoot the 95grain punch cutters ,boy thy would shoot and we killed a pile of deer with them .I am talking about 16 guys that all shot the same bows and arrows .I wish I could still buy the punch cutter broadhead ,thy were a open on contact head that could not fail to open .and thy would cut a hole you could put your hand in to .loved those heads .hoping someone comes out with that type of head again .Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

My 330 (cut down380) was shooting a(16").. 392gr. Arrow
320fps crossbones was set @ 335 all the cross hairs
Were dead on..speed ring is not perfect
MDM44

Post by MDM44 »

Good eye Boo, I missed that. Same shape, not textured, not as stiff as a Blazer. Gonna strip everything and go Blazer. Best way to compare apples w/ apples. Love the input, many brains better than one. :D
Boo

Post by Boo »

MDM44 wrote:Good eye Boo, I missed that. Same shape, not textured, not as stiff as a Blazer. Gonna strip everything and go Blazer. Best way to compare apples w/ apples. Love the input, many brains better than one. :D
Use the Arizona EZ Fletch Bolt, you'll be impressed.

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... letch+bolt
Some people just like stepping on rakes
cspot

Post by cspot »

Boo is right. The EZ Fletch Bolt works great. I am using 16" BEE's with 110 grain insert, 100 grain heads with 2" Blazers fletched with the EZ fletch. I have tested in the Micro, but I need to check in my 330 though. I am expecting them to shoot well in it as well.
Excalibur Matrix 330, Micro 335
MDM44

Post by MDM44 »

That's way more twist than came on the Lasers. Gonna strip and refletch with Blazers, and increase the twist.
MDM44

Post by MDM44 »

That E Z Fletch looks good. I'm still on a 20yr old Jo-Jan. :roll:
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

you should get better penetration with the shorter arrows too.

F
MDM44

Post by MDM44 »

They bury to the fletchings @ 50yrds in a new block target. Have to push them out from the back, nothing to grab but nock. :D
MDM44

Post by MDM44 »

Latest test results. Laser III, 110gr insert, 125gr field point, 3" Blazers. Arrow weight approx. 392gr. 1 shot at 30yrds. , 1 at 40yrds to check impact point before moving out to 50yrds. Only managed 2 groups as i forgot to aim at different spots on target :roll: .Groups touching at 50yrds. P.O.I. same as previous test arrows, speed ring on Vari-Zone set at 350. Destroyed fletchings on 2 of my 3 test arrows. Both groups approx 1" with shafts touching :mrgreen: . I'm happy with that, next step is broadhead testing.
Shoebuck

Post by Shoebuck »

What length were the Gold Tip Laser III shafts? I am shooting Laser II at 16" and 110 brass in front, aluminum nock and 125 gr head and I am getting 1 inch groups at 50yds off of shooting sticks. My first choice was the laser III but went with the Laser II. Still want to look at the Laser III.
Micro 335 Camo
Micro 335 Nightmare
Black Eagle Zombies
Spynal Double Tapps
Slick Trick Mag
Wac'em Broadheads
DeerBoy Strings
Xcalibur Strings
8-PtBuck Strings
Nikon Bolt
MDM44

Post by MDM44 »

I cut the shafts to 15". Refletching them right now. Planning to stretch the distance out a little more before I start broadhead testing.