Short arrows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MDM44

Short arrows

Post by MDM44 »

Just throwing out info, maybe it could help someone. Was interested in short arrows ( 15") for Matrix 330. Shorter in the quiver for ground hunting, and just wanted to see how it would affect performance. Keeping in mind minimum weight of 350gr. removed inserts and cut 1". Approximate weight 10gr. Cut arrows to 15" re-installed inserts. Added 150gr. fieldpoint. Total arrow weight 368.4 to 369 grains on digital scale. F.O.C. approx 22%. Tested today, largest group 2" @ 50yrds. Also had to turn adjustment ring on Vari-zone to 350 @ 50yrds with a sight in at 20yrds. I dont think arrows are going 350fps ( Matrix 330 ) but they seem to shoot very flat and accurate. :D
Boo

Re: Short arrows

Post by Boo »

We were talking at the Easton booth with Jerry from South Shore. One thing that he said that rang very true. Science has not really studied arrows as much as it could. So, it's efforts like yours in experimenting and sharing that will make us better.
Good work!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
MDM44

Post by MDM44 »

Overall, hoping end result will show shorter arrow will allow broadhead to steer less and be more accurate at longer ranges. They also fit the quiver better. :D Sorta like working up a load for a rifle.

Post by newbie »

Wes (Mr meat) had to do the same thing with his Nightmares Varizone with 15 1/8" arrows.... interesting.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Good stuff! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
tradslam

Post by tradslam »

been shooting 15 inchers for a while with great accuracy! 2117 blazers 100 grain tip, matrix 330
strum

Post by strum »

I haven't been shooting my 15 " arrows enough yet to understand accuracy but I can say I love them .. We all can remember lugging around 30"arrows and to get down to 15" is awesome to me :D :D
case in point I stuck one in my hip pocket the other day ..then I lost it....dummy me thought I had put it in my back pocket while it was in the hip and It took me a min to find it.. :lol: :lol: :lol:
of course im not the sharpest crayon in the box :shock:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
MDM44

Post by MDM44 »

Sighted the scope @ 20yrds with 15" arrows. Moved my block to 30yrds and good, maybe a click high, so dropped a click. Dead on. Moved the block to 50yrds. and began to dial in range with adjustment ring. At 350 50yrd groups were dead on. Moved back to 20, still on @ 20yrds. Now I don't think a Matrix 330 could do 350fps , so going on the theory short arrow may have flatter trajectory due to ballistic benefits from compact size and higher f.o.c. .
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Remember also, the speed ring on the scope is not a calibrated chronograph. You are most likely close to 340 fps however. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
MDM44

Post by MDM44 »

340fps sounds more reasonable,also sounds more like what I've read from other members. Will "suffer through" and do some more "testing" :wink: Will be interesting to see if the broadhead keeps the accuracy.
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Not as short as yours.......I cut my Diablos down to 16.5 because with broadheads on the arrows, they extend outside of the stirrup on the 330. I just wanted the stirrup to define the perimeter of the bow, rather than the arrows. I can now put a loaded bow down on the stirrup, without the arrow contacting the ground. I chrono 376 gr arrows at 331 fps.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

MDM44 wrote:Sighted the scope @ 20yrds with 15" arrows. Moved my block to 30yrds and good, maybe a click high, so dropped a click. Dead on. Moved the block to 50yrds. and began to dial in range with adjustment ring. At 350 50yrd groups were dead on. Moved back to 20, still on @ 20yrds. Now I don't think a Matrix 330 could do 350fps , so going on the theory short arrow may have flatter trajectory due to ballistic benefits from compact size and higher f.o.c. .
A buddy called me this weekend with a similar result. Micro bow, short arrows, and Vari-Zone..His words..."Dead on at 20 and 30 with the crosshair, speed ring at 350, next chevron good at 40, next at 50." Maybe the short arrows do have a flatter traj. It would be nice!
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
MDM44

Post by MDM44 »

Terrible weather here ( N.C.) no shooting today. Going to a lighter shaft, heavier insert when weather breaks. Similar weight, but slightly more f.o.c. .
MDM44

Post by MDM44 »

Short arrow update. Cut 3 LaserIII to 15", 110gr. brass insert, 100gr field point, plastic flatnock, 4" vanes. P.O.I. same as Diablos of same length with 150gr fieldpoint out to 50yrds. Total weight 378gr, = or - .5gr. F.O.C. approx. 25%. One arrow kept impacting low, not much but consistent. Field point was 4 gr heavier. Not much , but enough to fall outside a 2" group. May refletch as Lasers came with 4" vanes with very little twist. Stock Diablos have noticeable twist with Blazers.
cjonesth

Post by cjonesth »

MDM44 wrote:Short arrow update. Cut 3 LaserIII to 15", 110gr. brass insert, 100gr field point, plastic flatnock, 4" vanes. P.O.I. same as Diablos of same length with 150gr fieldpoint out to 50yrds. Total weight 378gr, = or - .5gr. F.O.C. approx. 25%. One arrow kept impacting low, not much but consistent. Field point was 4 gr heavier. Not much , but enough to fall outside a 2" group. May refletch as Lasers came with 4" vanes with very little twist. Stock Diablos have noticeable twist with Blazers.
For the arrow that is consistently low, number the vanes and use a different cock vane each time to see if anything changes?
Matrix 405, Hawke Pro SR IR, TTT, Zombie arrows, NAP FOC
Bulldog 400 Hawke Pro SR IR, TTT, Zombie Arrows
Bulldog 330 Hawke Pro SR IR, Zombie Arrows
Matrix 355, Twilight DLX, Zombie Arrows
Micro Max Nightmare, Hawke XB30 Pro, TTT, Zombie arrows,