String care

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

String care

Post by SEW »

I've owned xbows for 31 years but Excals only a little over 1 year( M380/405 ). On my "inferior" wheeled xbows I waxed the string, lubbed the rail, and sometimes used serving lub. Strings and servings would last at least 2000-2500 shots. I did highly polish the string holding latches.
I'm not having this success with my Excals. My serving is separating . I do use string wax, rail lub, and some serving lub. Bet this is a bad idea. TT on each xbow. The strings I have include Boo, JBK, Vixenmaster,factory. Of the 3 I've used, all seem to be having some seperation. The seperation is actually where the cocking latches go.
I know this has been addressed many times; however, for us slow learners, "say it again" please. How to best care for strings on Excalibur xbows.
cjonesth

Re: String care

Post by cjonesth »

Where the string serving is separating is it occurring at both fingers of the latch or only one?
Matrix 405, Hawke Pro SR IR, TTT, Zombie arrows, NAP FOC
Bulldog 400 Hawke Pro SR IR, TTT, Zombie Arrows
Bulldog 330 Hawke Pro SR IR, Zombie Arrows
Matrix 355, Twilight DLX, Zombie Arrows
Micro Max Nightmare, Hawke XB30 Pro, TTT, Zombie arrows,
cjonesth

Post by cjonesth »

When setting brace height are you twisting the string CCW from either left or right side?
Matrix 405, Hawke Pro SR IR, TTT, Zombie arrows, NAP FOC
Bulldog 400 Hawke Pro SR IR, TTT, Zombie Arrows
Bulldog 330 Hawke Pro SR IR, Zombie Arrows
Matrix 355, Twilight DLX, Zombie Arrows
Micro Max Nightmare, Hawke XB30 Pro, TTT, Zombie arrows,
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

SEW that's the very reason I want to learn reserving a string myself. Concerns me a little with the TT since I just put one in my Mega. But I think latches holding actual "recurve" draw weight as opposed to wheeled let off has got to be tougher those servings. Plus you shoot the big boys :D
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

I am sure your strings can be reserved by one of the custom string makers here on the forum. Get them reserved and lightly wax the serving once in awhile. You can also rotate the string once in awhile, and when you twist, twist counter clockwise. Dan Miller told me on the phone when I ordered strings from him to not put anything on the string, just shoot it. Good luck Sew.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I also have a TT on my Vortex and have seen this as well. Seems to me like the TT latches are a bit more "squared off" than the stock Excal trigger latches. I think these then find a spot between the serving material a bit easier. I want to polish my TT and remove some of the corners a little bit to see if it helps.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

Thru a lot of trial an error I found that on my stock trigger latches that were always leaving narrow indents an separating the serving ,I squared them an left the corners to sharp an no good so then rounded the corners an now work great with a wider longer mark on serving that don,t dig in like before.
Boo

Post by Boo »

nchunterkw wrote:I also have a TT on my Vortex and have seen this as well. Seems to me like the TT latches are a bit more "squared off" than the stock Excal trigger latches. I think these then find a spot between the serving material a bit easier. I want to polish my TT and remove some of the corners a little bit to see if it helps.
If it's an issue with a latch profile you will no fuzz, just a tiny but clean wedge-like opening situated between 2 serving wraps. Rough latched will appear like the picture below as torn fibers. Note where the arrows point to.
My 410 got well in excess of a thousand shots after I polished my latches. IronNoggin has 800 to 1,000 shots on his string that I made for him.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I had this issue on both of TTs. I polished the latches as Don describes on his site and so far, so good. The TT has squared off latches that dig into the serving, causing premature wear and separation, IMO.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

if you use an oily type of rail lube to much of it can also contribute to separation. I learned this first hand :oops: quite a few years ago when I shot with training wheels :P
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Boo wrote:...IronNoggin has 800 to 1,000 shots on his string that I made for him.
I Did Have :wink:

Swapped that string out for the new one you sent along to hunt with this fall.
The "retired" one still has a bit of life left in it - surprising after damn near 1200 shots later! :shock:

Thanks for reminding me! I do need to dig that one up and send it back for a little tweaking. Might be needing it to replace the one on the bow in... say... another year or three! :lol:

Oh, and yes, all those shots were taken with the two TT Triggers I have.
Got so familiar with the light single stage that's what I went with for hunting this year. Really Loving Both, but have gotten a tad used to the single stage... for now... Both sets of latches are obviously Smooth as could possibly be - Slicker Than Snot Off A Chicken's Lips as my ol' Ranching Buddy would have suggested... :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Swamp Donky wrote:All my TriggerTech triggers have come with latches smooth as a baby's bum. Very interesting! :?
Ditto on my TT!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

Getting REALLY good serving life with the factory trigger latches ! The pic below is the string that came off my hunting bow ( 380 ) with Hundreds of shots and close to a month of hunting on it ! All I did was polish the latches and lube lightly BUT frequently . Serving is .035 AM .

[URL=http://s154.photobucket.com/user/1longb ... 2.jpg.html]Image
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

That serving looks great 8ptbuck! The 380 is a heavy weight for sure.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
strum

Post by strum »

RexKay wrote:SEW that's the very reason I want to learn reserving a string myself. :D
I have to agree 100% on this .. its always good to have a well made string that holds up well like Don's but being able to reserve solves all the problems..
I forgot what Miller sold me a spool of AM for but it wasn't much and a decent serving tool like the Cavalier is under 20 bucks.
you can make a string stretcher like Don shows on his site for cheap also.
Once you get the hang of it then you can reserve a string 10 mins or less.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16