FOC Broadhead

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

FOC Broadhead

Post by SEW »

Boo's recent thread on what helped the most for success prompted this thread. We are all aware of the debates that take place over fixed vs expandible broadheads. Fact is, that in general, expandable broadheads have significantly improved over the decades since the introduction of the Puckett expandible ~30 years ago. I've tried many and have only lost 1 deer out of over 100 shot with expandibles. However, there is a big difference in the inflight and terminal performance of the various expandibles. I'm consumed with ballistic matters: went to benchrest schools, precision reload, taught ballistics in the USAF for aerial gunnery and bombing, and have shot well over 10,000 arrow shots testing arrow shafts, fletching, foc, point types, etc - much thru xbows. This is my passion!
I have found that with 18-20" shafts ( Executioners and Zombies ) and lower profile expandable broadheads with helical Blazers and plastic nocks and a 26g AL insert/170g FOC provides adequate foc for stabilization for tight groups to 110 yds. 92 and 110g brass inserts with 100g Schackers and SFs were adequate to 100 yds (farthest tested). I expect 80g inserts would have worked for the Swhackers and maybe the SFs( they steer a little more ).
After 14 deer with FOCs, 6 DRT, with very short recoveries,; plus 6-7 additional by my son with FOCs with similar results, I was convinced this was my broadhead. I test extensively at long range especially with cross winds and head/tail winds. FOCs are deflected by xwind less than any other broadhead except for being equaled by the Swhacker. The FOC practice points I made ( actual FOCs/JB Weld in blade grooves) last well and are good for fine tuning at 50yds+.
Out of my 380 & 405 , Optimizer/Duralyt 2-8, I get 1"-1 1/2" 3-shot 80-100 yd gps with 170g FPs and 1 1/2-2" FOC groups.
Out of a friend's Exocet, shooting the same, solid 1" 3-shot 80 yd(Max sighted in to) groups. This is with FOC's! My 380/405 won't equal this, yet!
All shooting with Hart Windage adjustable rest, Protektor #13 rear bag, occasionally wind flags.
I've used many of the more common fixed and expandible broadheads over the years(187 shot, 182 recovered) and nothing has had the terminal effect of the FOC . When a broadhead has the best inflight performance and best terminal performance a shooter has experienced, then, for him, broadhead selection becomes a no-brainer.
I haven't tested all broadheads so I can't say the FOC is absolutely the best; but at the very least, it's a finalist. I expect it'd win.
$32/3 off Amazon.
racking up points

Re: FOC Broadhead

Post by racking up points »

I'm sold! I'll use them this season from the tree and magnum slick tricks when I'm in a blind. Looking forward to getting the performance you've experienced. Thanks for the info!
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Retired05

Post by Retired05 »

I also find the Swhacker's very accurate and when they open up you have a fresh new set of blades to cut up the inside of the animal. Being a meat cutter for 50 years you learn how to sharpen blades. Yes they have to be sharpened on both cutting edges. I am able to get them sharp enough to shave with. When they are very sharp they go through a deer like a hot knife through butter. Using a Vortex. :D
Deep In Cover

Post by Deep In Cover »

Very NICE read! I will look into them. :D
"Never Mistake Motion For Action"
Ernest Hemingway
Normous

Post by Normous »

I can really appreciate SEW's FOC broadhead review on the FOC since I use the exact crossbow, arrow and FOC broadhead and agree with his findings. Those .039 thick FOC blades blades surely contribute to the improvement of expandable performance over the years.

I have only taken 4 deer with the FOC and documented very short recoveries from gaping holes after being arrowed.

The FOC is the 3rd expandable that I have used out of my Excalibur starting with my first Rocket expandables purchased in 1996. Since then I have only taken 2 animals with fixed blade Slick Tricks which left me wanting larger wound channels but appreciating the Slick Tricks superior track record regarding design, strength and sharpness.

I know for sure the FOC will be on my deck in 2015.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

SEW i became a believer in the FOC this year a d for my excalibur 405 won't shoot anything else . Awesome blood trails and deer die fast which means short tracking jobs. Love them and swhackers. Won't shoot aanything else.
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
Retired05

Post by Retired05 »

SEW do you find putting the cock vane on the stiff side of the shaft helps to tighten up groups? I have been using Gold Tip pro laser11's. This is out of a Vortex. :D
bubba

Post by bubba »

Wow sew!! that was some review. I'm shooting a Ibex this remainder of the year but will have a matrix 355 or 380 next year. And after that review I'm gonna definitely try the f.o.c. broad head.. Great read.....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Another FOC user here.

This deer did not like the FOC that went through it!

A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
GGC

Post by GGC »

Sew
Bought the FOC's and the 380 Matrix is ready.
Need to break the ice, six weeks and no shots. We have a little snow now, that may help.
The 405 arrived today and will use the same arrow.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Crap, I just bought Toxics to try and now I read this
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Outback

Post by Outback »

Been reading a bit about these broad heads and will be giving them a try next season for sure.

outback
Southern Comfort

Post by Southern Comfort »

Sew, that was a great review to the point that next season you sold me on at least trying them.
Matrix 380 blackout
18" Zombies/92 gr. brass inserts
100 gr. Slick Trick Mag
18" Spinal Tapp's
170 gr F.O.C's
NChunter/BOO/ VixenMaster strings
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Bullzeye wrote:Crap, I just bought Toxics to try and now I read this
Don't be disappointed with the toxics. I'm shooting the same setup as Sew but with 92gr brass inserts and 100gr points. He's got an extra 5 gr up front but I'm still hitting 1"-1 1/2" spots at 65yards(as far as I've tested them) with ridiculous blood trails. Of the nine critters I toxed nothing beyond 55 yards....I'm sorry Sew, this is a great thread with awesome info and I'm not trying to hijack it. I just wanted to respond and put concerns aside. :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
SEW

Post by SEW »

paulaboutform wrote:
Bullzeye wrote:Crap, I just bought Toxics to try and now I read this
Don't be disappointed with the toxics. I'm shooting the same setup as Sew but with 92gr brass inserts and 100gr points. He's got an extra 5 gr up front but I'm still hitting 1"-1 1/2" spots at 65yards(as far as I've tested them) with ridiculous blood trails. Of the nine critters I toxed nothing beyond 55 yards....I'm sorry Sew, this is a great thread with awesome info and I'm not trying to hijack it. I just wanted to respond and put concerns aside. :wink:
I'm in no way saying that the FOC is absolutely the very best broadhead to use but believe it has a lot going for it. It does score high in many critical categories . These large cutting Expandables are not for low energy bows. It's not the only excellent expandable, for sure.