Sharing info is why we're here so here's the next question!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Re: Sharing info is why we're here so here's the next questi

Post by amythntr »

...almost like he was posing for the shot UPSMAN...yep i would be having nightmares too....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Boo wrote:Sadly, this year I only had a handful of days to hunt. But my downfall was not planning. Next year I am going to get a calender and plan when I'll put out cams and what days I'll hunt.
I had cams on my food plot (not kill plot) for entertainment and didn't put out a cam where I hunted until the 3rd last day. I should have scouted but didn't have time. I should have put out cams in late summer/early fall but didn't.
The single biggest mistake was not dealing with the 150 acres of corn that didn't come off until the first week of Jan...............I should have burned it down! :twisted:
Sounds like you need me to come hunt your stands for you. It's the least I could do for such a nice guy. I have the whole month of November off,so you just let me know when you want the killing done. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
bubba

Post by bubba »

Damn Upsman.. That's a big deer I know you didn't see it in Florida!! was it on the property in west ga? Nice buck......
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

Looks like the ROBE is losing its powers :shock:
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Screwed up by not getting out once all year hunting. To much going on with work. My main worker that I could leave alone died Dec 28th (52 years young) so this year not looking good either. Not only lost a worker I lost a friend :(
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

wheelie wrote:Screwed up by not getting out once all year hunting. To much going on with work. My main worker that I could leave alone died Dec 28th (52 years young) so this year not looking good either. Not only lost a worker I lost a friend :(
...now that puts everything in to perspective...sorry tho hear that Wheelie!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

UPSMAN wrote:This is how I screwed up. I will definitely carry it in my head until somebody shows me this deer in the back of a truck.

Makes me SICK to think this dude is walking in front of my camera. I've never ever even seen a deer this big in person. I have nightmares about seeing this beast. :cry: :cry:
Oh my God Upsman, that is a beast. Good luck with him.
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

If i saw something like that up here, I would be all thumbs!!!! :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

For me picking the RIGHT stand. As its between two different spots. When I went to one stand a big buck showed up at the other spot. Then I went to the other spot and I should have been the first spot. This has been for 2 years running.
I hope the third year will be the charm and be in the right stand at the right time.
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

VixChix wrote:
The local spot we hunt is small and doesn't usually hold deer, but they do travel through. Having the trail cams will help us know how to more effectively bait.

It's a whole new world for us!
Yup, I also hunt on a postage stamp sized land, salt block in key areas is very important.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Starvin' Hillbilly wrote:(?) :lol: even when rifle season came same thing along w/ riding the recoil. going to a 150 pro-hunter instead of the shoulder mashing 180 accubond in my 06.

-ken
Invest in a good recoil pad and shoot to your hearts content. Most rifles just have hard butt pads they refer as a recoil pads, but there is no comparison. I can shoot all day with my thirty ought six no problem, where my buddies shoulder is killing him. I normally shoot165's that i roll myself but even 180's are easily manageable with a good recoil pad installed.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

Bubba, That's the only picture I have of him. Probably will never see him again. I think he was just traveling through my place looking for love. I left one camera in the woods,just in case he decides to set up housekeeping on my spot. Deer don't get that big very often in my part of Georgia.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I shot a doe this year that came in very close to the treestand I was in. Came in to my right and I had to shoot lefthanded. I had not practiced this so the trigger (TT) surprised me a bit before I was really ready. I killed the deer, but with her being only 12yds out and me 16ft up and her quartering to, I hit above the shoulder and it lodged in the offside hip. Blew up a backstrap, somehow missed the stomach, but hit the intestines. It was the morning and we were hunting all day. I field dressed her and cleaned her up as good as I could and the meat seems OK (i'll just cook it all and not make jerky from her) but in hind sight that was a mistake. I should have let her pass under the stand and then shot when she was out and at a better angle. I'll also practice a bit lefthanded this year as well.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

newbie wrote:well i wont go back to my big screw up :shock:.
I did get get a shot a at a deer this year but i ended up killing the unseen twig. this year all shooting lanes will get trimmed back.
AND KEEP YOUR TAILGATE UP :shock: JUST KIDDIN MIKE :D
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
luckymike

Post by luckymike »

i keep setting up too close to where i expect to get a shot.spent nearly 35 yrs shooting traditional which made me try to limit my shots to under 20yds.started to spend more time on the ground this year and been building natural blinds that i can move to if needed.hunt mostly state and national forest land so need alot of options in case i run into other hunters
matrix 355,330
slicktrick 125
black eagle executioners
vixenmaster strings
nikon bolt
triggertech