Sharing info is why we're here so here's the next question!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Sharing info is why we're here so here's the next question!

Post by Boo »

That is why we are all here as opposed to the infantile garbage that is plaguing us recently.
So, in order that we learn from other, the question of the week is, how did you screw up? What mistakes will you carry in your head next season or in other words, what will you not do next year?
And for those who can still hunt Pffffft! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Species8472

Re: Sharing info is why we're here so here's the next questi

Post by Species8472 »

Tried some cheap cigars. Gonna have to go back to the Cubans.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
SEW

Post by SEW »

1) Use less rail lub or use dry lub.
2) more rounded edges of string holding prongs. Make'm like Excal's.
3) only use FOCs
4) read Boo's entire website periodically
5) countersink the scope holding mount, and secure Fasenal bolts with blue LT
6) blue Locktite every bolt.
7) discipline myself to use C-2 on 405 so as to preserve my back.
8) hunt more in rut and some less before (hard to squeeze the entire Arkansas bow deer season into just 5 months and 4 days :D ).
roly

Post by roly »

I found this year I was very sloppy and careless.

I was lax on my scent control, I seemed to always be late getting to my stand. No matter what I did I seemed to be noisy and just couldn't seem to sit still.
Also I over hunted the same stand

Only hunting mature bucks, the way I went at this season was a bit futile.
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

For some off the wall reason i couldn't keep my head down in the scope! (too anxious to look over) and i'm a firearms instructor(?) :lol: even when rifle season came same thing along w/ riding the recoil. going to a 150 pro-hunter instead of the shoulder mashing 180 accubond in my 06.

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Starvin' Hillbilly wrote:For some off the wall reason i couldn't keep my head down in the scope! (too anxious to look over) and i'm a firearms instructor(?) :lol: even when rifle season came same thing along w/ riding the recoil. going to a 150 pro-hunter instead of the shoulder mashing 180 accubond in my 06.

-ken
Yes I have issues...........but this one I might have some help for you. Imagine your scope to be a camera. Imagine that you are recording what you are seeing through the scope. Follow the arrow into what you are shooting and continue to follow (through the scope) the animal after it is shot.

My problem........................I can't stay awake on stand. I'm asleep in no time................I am a light sleeper and have super good hearing though. I have no slack in my harness so I can't fall very far from the tree lol. Dang squirrels keep disturbing me..............at least I think they are squirrels? I'm gettin' old.......there is no cure for that :wink:
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Utilize the wind more as a friend other than a foe!!
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott

Post by newbie »

well i wont go back to my big screw up :shock:.
I did get get a shot a at a deer this year but i ended up killing the unseen twig. this year all shooting lanes will get trimmed back.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Get the notion that sitting is the way to shoot my deer out of a treestand. I need to stand up and be prepared for anything.

DO NOT fog up the scope lens. Getting very good at it.

Make sure I have a good cheek weld before when I shoot.

And most importantly, keep moving or die. I am not getting any younger. :shock:
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Starvin' Hillbilly wrote:For some off the wall reason i couldn't keep my head down in the scope! (too anxious to look over) and i'm a firearms instructor(?) :lol: even when rifle season came same thing along w/ riding the recoil. going to a 150 pro-hunter instead of the shoulder mashing 180 accubond in my 06.

-ken
If you load, you can load the 150's to about 200-250 fps UNDER max and recoil will be WAY down.Its pretty amazing how just 200-250 fps will affect felt recoil. '06 still has plenty for anything you might encounter.Use a med. burning powder and only out of a book, you will be amazed. :D
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....the hardest part for me is staying focused throughout the hunt...dang, its my day out to do what I love and that is hunt...a lot of time, effort, money, more money, latest equipment, warmest clothes, expensive scents, more money...has gone into this day in the woods hunting and I find myself getting distracted from the task at hand with things like:

....is it lunch time yet,

....willingness to allow myself to fall asleep and telegraphing it to the world (snoring),

....checking what's happening in the world (smart phone),

....texting others in my group,

....dealing with the call of nature,

....struggling with squirrels that constantly convince me their deer,

In looking back I really need to work on the focusing aspect to be more successful. Other than the above; do more (really some) scouting, get out more and look for sign in less convenient (for me) places to hunt....etc., etc., etc.....

Anthony :)

PS: ...but on the other hand I must always balance this in making sure that I am having fun...
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Boo

Post by Boo »

Sadly, this year I only had a handful of days to hunt. But my downfall was not planning. Next year I am going to get a calender and plan when I'll put out cams and what days I'll hunt.
I had cams on my food plot (not kill plot) for entertainment and didn't put out a cam where I hunted until the 3rd last day. I should have scouted but didn't have time. I should have put out cams in late summer/early fall but didn't.
The single biggest mistake was not dealing with the 150 acres of corn that didn't come off until the first week of Jan...............I should have burned it down! :twisted:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Going to put out food plots, first time ever. And put out more cams. :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Boo wrote:Sadly, this year I only had a handful of days to hunt. But my downfall was not planning. Next year I am going to get a calender and plan when I'll put out cams and what days I'll hunt.
I had cams on my food plot (not kill plot) for entertainment and didn't put out a cam where I hunted until the 3rd last day. I should have scouted but didn't have time. I should have put out cams in late summer/early fall but didn't.
The single biggest mistake was not dealing with the 150 acres of corn that didn't come off until the first week of Jan...............I should have burned it down! :twisted:

HMMMMMMMMMMMM! 150 acres of popcorn. HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. :lol:
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

less bush hogging on my land to give my deer more cover.