Camo vs black speed ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

strum

Camo vs black speed ?

Post by strum »

I have been hearing that the Nightmares are a little faster than the camo models.
So much that im starting to question if its a myth or not.
my reason for questioning it is I see folks saying that who haven't even tested theirs with a chrony..
So anyone who has tested theirs can you post real speeds using a 350 gr arrow .
Im just curious :D
By the way my camo chronys at 343fps which is over the advertises speeds
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
mr meat

Re: Camo vs black speed ?

Post by mr meat »

Hope to get things together and run our two! one of each! sometime next week and will post results!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

The only thing I could think of that could make sense is.....one thing Danny Miller suggested to me as to why to buy the black one was because the limbs were not subjected to the 300 degree camo-ing process. I too plan to get my Nightmare on a chrony soon and will post results.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

strum wrote:I have been hearing that the Nightmares are a little faster than the camo models.
So much that im starting to question if its a myth or not.
my reason for questioning it is I see folks saying that who haven't even tested theirs with a chrony..
So anyone who has tested theirs can you post real speeds using a 350 gr arrow .
Im just curious :D
By the way my camo chronys at 343fps which is over the advertises speeds
.... :lol: :lol: :lol: I was just funning with everyone Stan...but hey, they look so much better, in terms of the textured coating or whatever, it would just seem that they would have to be faster!!! ...but only if you wear black while hunting :mrgreen:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
strum

Post by strum »

Anthony this isn't a poke at you or anyone else. i just wanted to see this tested ..is it a myth or plausible..wheres Adam and Jamie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

strum wrote:Anthony this isn't a poke at you or anyone else. i just wanted to see this tested ..is it a myth or plausible..wheres Adam and Jamie :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
would be curious myself...but then again everything would have to be the same in the comparison...same string (factory, flemish), arrow weight(FOC) , inside versus outside or am I over thinking this?

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
bubba

Post by bubba »

Good question Stan, one that I'm curious about too. Is the black actually faster than the camo. And also I've heard the same with the matrix 380 that the black is faster,Don't mean to change your thread about the micro, but I'd like to know about both bows if possible......
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)

Post by newbie »

341 dm endless loop 355 grain.
the camo limbs most likely little slower with the added camo dip finish.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Would have to careful drawing any conclusions if a person was to compare One Camo Micro against One Nightmare Micro.
Unless the limb numbering system used by Excalibur to pair the right and left limb has no effect on speed.
If there is a correlation between the limb number and speed than it would make more sense to consider this factor alone if you have a choice from your dealers inventory of the same model.

I however would be open to running a controlled experiment with lets say 3 of each model with matching limb numbers representing the full limb number range Lowest/Midpoint/Highest.

However I would not be surprzed that Excalibur may already be privy to this type of data.
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
galamb

Post by galamb »

I'd say it's a myth.

But if the black does in fact chrono a little faster I would suspect it's because the chronograph can't "see" the camo version :lol:
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

galamb wrote:I'd say it's a myth.

But if the black does in fact chrono a little faster I would suspect it's because the chronograph can't "see" the camo version :lol:
That could be true unless it was done at night.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

colouredchameleon wrote:Would have to careful drawing any conclusions if a person was to compare One Camo Micro against One Nightmare Micro.
Unless the limb numbering system used by Excalibur to pair the right and left limb has no effect on speed.
If there is a correlation between the limb number and speed than it would make more sense to consider this factor alone if you have a choice from your dealers inventory of the same model.

I however would be open to running a controlled experiment with lets say 3 of each model with matching limb numbers representing the full limb number range Lowest/Midpoint/Highest.

However I would not be surprzed that Excalibur may already be privy to this type of data.
Without knowing exactly how the limb number is determined....but making an educated guess.....
I understand it is a "deflection" number.
My thought is the limbs are placed in a fixture, and something presses against it at a certain force, and the amount of deflection is measured.

IF that is the case (or very similar) then the limb number will certainly effect the speed of the crossbow, and the "black v camo" test would only be meaningful with limbs with the same numbers.

Questions:
Anybody know for certain what the limb number test is?
Could the camo process cause the camo limbs to be ever so slightly weaker?
Do the camo limbs weight more than the black limbs (due to camo coating as newbie suggests) and does that matter for speed?
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
strum

Post by strum »

Newbie is your Black?

Last time I chronoed we had a discussion about whether the light kit I was using would make it read different than outside light.
so just now .. I have good light and did a test.
all my shots were with the factory Elood string and a 350 grain laser 2 arrow(same one)
I shot 5 out side no light kit(of course) and 5 inside using my light kit.
every shot was in the 340's ---340.2 , 340.6 ,340.1,340,8 ect..
so I can safely say my light kit is good to go.
now the last time I did my test inside I was getting 343 averages.
the only thing I changed was I put shrink wrap on my arrow retainer.
either this added a little more down pressure and slowed my arrow or its a temperature /humidity thing who knows .
either way my micro reads or has read 340-343 so that's my test..lets see some more
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony

Post by newbie »

strum wrote:Newbie is your Black?

Last time I chronoed we had a discussion about whether the light kit I was using would make it read different than outside light.
all my shots were with the factory Elood string and a 350 grain laser 2 arrow(same one)
either this added a little more down pressure and slowed my arrow or its a temperature /humidity thing who knows .
either way my micro reads or has read 340-343 so that's my test..lets see some more
RTX
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

strum wrote:Newbie is your Black?

That's some good info right there. Many times I get home after dark but it's still nice enough out to shoot. Good to know I should be able to duplicate your light setup and get chrony data even at night. I sit in the driveway and put the target in the garage where it's lit. Keeps the neighbors on edge :lol: , but they DO NOT let their dogs take a dump anywhere near my yard. :mrgreen:
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><