Big woods vs agricultural deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Exomag6.5

Big woods vs agricultural deer

Post by Exomag6.5 »

Good evening all! I have a bit of a challenge on my hands for deer hunt '15 and I'd like to throw it out to the Forum for some advice.
My wife and I purchased a recreation property half way between Huntsville and North Bay (South River/Sundridge area). We have 50 acres, I also have full exclusive access to the 100 acres directly behind me and that abuts a 1000 acre spruce-bog. The 150 acres is typical lower northern Ontario mixed forest. Some birch, lots of maple, mixed spruce/pine/various fir, and a beautiful strip of approximately 4 - 5 acres of mature beech trees along the top of a 500 - 600 yard long ridge. Neither property has been logged except for taking care of standing deadwood since the late 60's....neither property has had hunters with permission on them since the late 60's!
I put out trail cams on a few of the walking trails we cleaned up. I get deer, moose and bear pics on 2 of the cameras. The other 2 cameras are mostly quiet.
When I walk the property or sit with a camera in the evening or morning I've noticed the deer don't travel on specific trails...they can show up anywhere, anytime with no rhyme or reason. And right there is my problem - how do I pattern these northern big forest deer?? I am used to bow hunting the agricultural deer in WMU 80 and 82A where the largest blocks of forested area maybe add up to 25 acres. Down here planning your hunt is...glass the fields, note the entrance/exit trails, follow the trails, look for the hubs and bottle-necks, choose your stand locations and hunt the wind. I don't really even know where to start up north.
I've never done it/tried it before but I'm not opposed to planting small feed plots ( there are a few empty bare openings that are maybe 100' x 150' ) or maintain bait piles. I should note that I've been trained by these Southern Ontario deer for about 35 hunting seasons....this old dog needs some new tricks!

Mike
I like the old things best....old friends, old knives, classic firearms, seasoned firewood, vintage wine and aged scotch.
Carved limb Exomag
Matrix 355
Too many knives. Favs-my Grandpa's Buck knife, my Dad's Schrade Sharpfinger and my DaGriz.
xcaliber

Re: Big woods vs agricultural deer

Post by xcaliber »

Sounds like a great place. You have to find the link between food, and bedding. in the forested areas, where food is basically everywhere, it gets tough, real tough. We here in the US face the same issues in wooded areas without agricultural fields. If you could plant some small areas of food, it would go a long way. Without that, i would concentrate on water, drinking water to be specific. Deer are survivors, and their diet is vast. If you could topple a few trees that are live, pine maybe, you might draw them in to browse on it.

Good luck, and post back.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
galamb

Post by galamb »

I hunt a "tough" piece of ground as well in Eastern Ontario. Typical piece of "shield" - lot's of rock outcrops, small hills/gullies, swamps/bogs etc. It's mixed hardwoods - birch, maple and lot's of oak with a good sprinkle of pine and spruce.

Like you, when we first started hunting it (7 or 8 years back now) there was no rhyme or reason as to where the deer were going or coming from - like you, multiple camera's seemed to indicate that there were NO routes - the deer can and did just wander where ever they wanted.

Since there was bogs and small ponds abounding, it's not like you can even sit on "the water source", because there are dozens (possibly 100 or more) on the 800 acres that we hunt.

There is no ag fields within miles, so again, no "route" to the food source. No wild apple etc and the oaks are "everywhere".

Even winter observations did not appear to help - the few "somewhat" established routes were either abandoned or avoided in the spring/summer/fall (camera evidence).

So, what we initially did was give the deer a "reason" to come where "we wanted them", so far it has worked.

We maintain salt/mineral blocks year round and start with supplements/feed really early in the season (like mid July).

Camera's on the feed/mineral area showed at least that deer (mostly does) would frequent the area - again, couldn't "pattern" them and we had tons of pictures - cataloged times, weather, wind etc etc and still no pattern, but at least they were coming in.

We even continue some of the process in the winter - as an example, will be going out tomorrow for a walk on the property and will take hay and pellets (deer feed) in on the toboggan just to reinforce (to the deer) that maybe they should "stop in" once in a while.

It has worked fairly well having got a deer myself in 4 of the last 5 years at that location.

So that's my suggestion. If you can't find a choke point then create an oasis that will bring the deer to you. Far more work than simply waiting for bambi to show up at a field edge looking for dinner, but sometimes your only option when they literally have no reason to be anywhere in particular.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
Boo

Post by Boo »

My first thought is to find a pinch point between 2 thick wooded areas. If it's on a ridge, better. If it's close to the bog, even better. I would set up a feeder and start baiting now with corn and apples.
Also, do some hinging. Use those trees to attract and direct the deer. Start the hinging now.
I'm not sure if the cams at this point would be good or not. On one hand it tells you who was there when but you'll be stinking up the place a lot all at once.
Check your area out on Google Earth for likely places to hunt like small clearings for a food plot, pinch points, small ponds etc

Here's a great place to visit.
http://www.outreachoutdoors.com/phpBB3/ ... 26b8478895

Good luck! Sounds like fun!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Sounds like you two have dealt with similar issues. I'm near farm rich areas to hunt, and feel very fortunate to be able to pattern deer movements, and know that limited water areas are available. It does tilt the game a bit. Like said, you have your work cut out, but it can be fun as well. Very exciting that the land has not been hunting in over 30 years, should be some nice bucks roaming around.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
maple

Post by maple »

The 400 acre land I hunt has similar characteristics. It's all woods and a few clearings, very little contour, maybe 8' over the whole area.

Even when I set up a stand I have little idea where the deer will come from. One time it's west, the next it's east. Other than a few sporadic places, I've yet to find a heavily frequented bedding or feeding area.

When I do put out apples it helps, but I'm not able to do so until September. Even then, I've NEVER shot a sizeable buck over feed. It attracts the does, and the bucks hang in the bush off to the side. So I try to get 'em there.

Once you're more familiar with the area, you'll figure it out. Sounds like you're already doing it.

Good luck !!
Don't look at the antlers!! And don't look him in the eye!!

2002 Exomag
Custom wood stock with a lot of notches in it
Big John arrows
Loving every minute of it.
The only thing better than a dog, is two dogs.

Maple
Noreaster

Post by Noreaster »

Concentrate on 'edges'. i.e.hardwood/swamp/ridge/stream/thick/open. Deer are edge creatures. generally, the more edges you combine in an area, the better a spot will be. I look for areas with at least 3 edges 4 are better. My most successful tactic has been to find areas like this and then use twine to set up mock scrape lines by bending over trees at a height of about 5 feet. the scrape line can be up to a quarter mile long and set up on primary wind directions. the deer will tell you if your set up is good. NO SCENTS ARE REQUIRED.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Ah this where experiance comes into yer huntin. I have hunted woods/swamps all my life. They do have a reason but even i don't knowed what itis other than survivin. Now you may need to do like i have done all my life, thats take time n Bino's & watch yer deer to see where they come from n go to. I put my climber up 100 yds from known deer sighting. I climb up.tree n watch them fer hrs. Water source unless yer in a drought with those swamps is a waste of time. I used to wade n swim out threw swamps at home. I would find hammocks dry land patches the deer would use to bed durin the day. I have hooked my climber on trees that were 2' of water n went up to wait on the deer. I have killed my share of them thru the yrs. Scout but don't get so close you scent up the area they will catch out on to anutter area
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315