Do you worry about Front of Center?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: Do you worry about Front of Center?

Post by nchunterkw »

I measure that way because an arrow flexes about the midpoint if the shaft during flight and flexes at the balance point at impact. So I want to know where the balance point is with respect to the center of the shaft because that is where the shaft will be flexing regardless of how long the point is.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Lake shooter

Post by Lake shooter »

Maybe so, but we're talking arrow flight here, not flexing after impact. :wink:
Last edited by Lake shooter on Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

FOC really over rated, at the speed these bows shoot today it really DON'T matter when hunting if you can build a arrow to fly where you aim, in 3D the pro's use 10 to 12% FOC.

Wes
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Lake shooter wrote:Maybe so, but we're talking artow flight here, not flexing after impact. :wink:
Either method is fine. The method I use is the AMO standard.
Here's some good info on the topic.

http://archeryreport.com/2010/09/arrow- ... calculate/
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Ask Danny Miller about FOC and sit back and listen..... :mrgreen: He's told me he'd shoot 100% if he could get it, lol.

For a 20" [all I shoot] arrow, just figure the diff from middle to balance point and multiply times 5%.........Close enough for me.

To get that figure for other length arrows, divide the length into 100%
"Eze 18:21"
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

awshucks wrote:Ask Danny Miller about FOC and sit back and listen..... :mrgreen: He's told me he'd shoot 100% if he could get it, lol.

For a 20" [all I shoot] arrow, just figure the diff from middle to balance point and multiply times 5%.........Close enough for me.

To get that figure for other length arrows, divide the length into 100%
I have done just that and you are exactly right. He likes high FOC arrows.

FWIW your formula is the AMO std too. dividing by 20 (your arrow length) and multiplying by 5% are the same thing.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

At a normal hunting type range, ( less than 30 yards) you can darn near shoot rocks out of your Excal and make a kill shot. Quality shafts, proper fetching, and. Quality broadhead= you got no problem. Anything better than minute of whitetail, is just icing on the cake.Have fun, experiment, play around with the set ups, but most will shoot good. It's a great situation to be in. :D
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

FWIW your formula is the AMO std too. dividing by 20 (your arrow length) and multiplying by 5% are the same thing.
Didn't know that........I just 'figured' if a 20" arrow is 100%, each inch is 5%. It's all good....... :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

No i don't worry about the arrows FOC. I make my arrows n test their flight out to any distance i expect to get a clear clean shot on my game. The farther i shoot the more wt. in my arrow i want fer momentum & penetration
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
tomasw1

Post by tomasw1 »

Thanks for the replies. I'm an IT guy so I love plugging the numbers and all the research. Certainly an OCD type with this stuff. You guys are sure a great resource, thanks again.
Matrix 380 Xtra
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Confucius say: He who loads up front end........leaves his worries behind.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
strum

Post by strum »

im of the school of thinking that says we definitely need the front to weigh more than the back .but I don't really think about it much anymore ..back when we were shooting 30" arrows out of our 200fps verticals I think it made a world of difference and I used to measure and balance and calculate..
Its interesting to play with the numbers and try things. im just too lazy now :lol:
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

ehntr wrote:Confucius say: He who loads up front end........leaves his worries behind.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Walkin

Post by Walkin »

Here's some more info to fry your brain with.

An arrow is a rocket; a coasting rocket whose fuel burnt out when it lost contact with the bowstring.

In a rocket there are 2 main points of concern; the CG (center of gravity) and the CP (center of pressure). The CG is where the actual rocket balances if you were to put it horizontally on a knife edge. If you make a 2 dimensional cutout of the rocket on a stiff piece of cardboard and then place that cutout horizontally on a knife edge, the CP is where the rocket profile cutout will balance.

Rockets rotate about the CG axis. All resistance forces that stabilize a rocket like the air pressure hitting the body and fins(fletchs) act at the CP.

As long as the CP is behind the CG the rocket will try to stabilize itself and keep its head into the direction of travel. CP ahead of the CG and it will tumble head over heels.

The distance that the CP is from the CG is a force moment; it is a torque force. That equates to the amount of force that the rockets' fins or arrows' fletch in this case, contribute; bigger fins equals more stabilization force equals more drag and possibly over stabilization, if it becomes a high frequency oscillation.

So you see, Front of Center is an over simplified way for the average Joe to think about arrow flight.

Stay tuned, next weeks discussion will include hot topics such as spin stabilization and the ever present northern hemispherical Coriolis Effect; bring your Tylenol.

Worried,
Joe
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Walkin wrote:Here's some more info to fry your brain with.

An arrow is a rocket; a coasting rocket whose fuel burnt out when it lost contact with the bowstring.

In a rocket there are 2 main points of concern; the CG (center of gravity) and the CP (center of pressure). The CG is where the actual rocket balances if you were to put it horizontally on a knife edge. If you make a 2 dimensional cutout of the rocket on a stiff piece of cardboard and then place that cutout horizontally on a knife edge, the CP is where the rocket profile cutout will balance.

Rockets rotate about the CG axis. All resistance forces that stabilize a rocket like the air pressure hitting the body and fins(fletchs) act at the CP.

As long as the CP is behind the CG the rocket will try to stabilize itself and keep its head into the direction of travel. CP ahead of the CG and it will tumble head over heels.

The distance that the CP is from the CG is a force moment; it is a torque force. That equates to the amount of force that the rockets' fins or arrows' fletch in this case, contribute; bigger fins equals more stabilization force equals more drag and possibly over stabilization, if it becomes a high frequency oscillation.

So you see, Front of Center is an over simplified way for the average Joe to think about arrow flight.

Stay tuned, next weeks discussion will include hot topics such as spin stabilization and the ever present northern hemispherical Coriolis Effect; bring your Tylenol.

Worried,
Joe
We're supposed to say "This is not rocket science".

I can talk mean aerodynamic chord and the distance (arm) X weight = moment (tourque) effect..................but rocket science.......no nothin bout that.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?