Can not make my mind up.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Ksb

Can not make my mind up.

Post by Ksb »

355, 380 or 405 ? Getting one tomorrow just can not decide. Anyone else have this problem deciding? What did you end up with.
xcaliber

Re: Can not make my mind up.

Post by xcaliber »

Here are the questions to ask yourself. Are you somewhat new to crossbows? If yes, 380 tops the 355, it comes with the ADF, and you will dry fire that bow once, minimum!
Are you strong enough to cock the 405 for years, and do you want the fastest bow around? Then 405 trumps the 380, same equipment comes standard on those two.
I love my 355, and have several dry fires under my belt from other models, no ADF needed, and very pleased with the performance, the Micro is the BOMB too.

Hope that helps! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

For me the choice was between the 380 and 405. I went with the 380. Cost and enjoyable extended shooting sessions were factors. There are times I wish I had got the 405, until my back goes out, then I wish i had the 310 :lol: You won't go wrong with either one.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

I have the 355 bought at a great price, don't shoot much pre-season and during the season. If the 405 was available at time of my purchase which it was not! I would have gone with the 405...speed kills!!
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
Ksb

Post by Ksb »

Thanks, the 405 comes with pretty nice scope as well.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Ah choices of matrix models. So you need to decide what you can afford, then how much can you rope cock or if'en yer goin with a C2 crank? I have the 355 & i bought the ADF n Millers buggy bumpers from jump street. I also have the 405 fer huntin as its not a practice session model fer me. I have the C2 to cock it with all day long, :) I practice alot 1500-2500 shots every yr. so thats why i have a 355, i had her out today playin like we were killin tick toters in some good off hand shootin :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bubba

Post by bubba »

For me the 355 is a great bow, but it don't come with the a.d.f. no redds and no cheek piece, for me I'd want all three, so with the added cost to get them on your bow,you could buy a stock 380 that comes with all the add on parts. For a few dollars more. and get the extra 25 f.p.s. in speed. If the 380 is not a problem to cock for you. The best deal I see would be the 380... At least that is what I intend to do. Just recently tried cocking and shooting both, and decided hands down for me its the 380. But that's just me you should try and hold and cock both if possible, before you decide, I even looked at the new and poplar 335 micro the bow every one is going nuts over, and sure it nice, but again for me... It just don't come any where close to the 380. that's my opinion, Do your self a big favor try and hold look and shoot the ones you are interested in, I'm sure glad I did.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
coli

Post by coli »

I was in the same position as you a very short time ago. I decided the 380 was for me, and I really like it.
SEW

Post by SEW »

What rifle to buy? You need to state your physical condition or willingness to use C-2, purpose of getting the crossbow, etc. If purely hunting, size isn't a problem, cocking isn't a problem, if you want max range, etc, then the 405 is a viable choice. Each model with increasing speed has some range advantage over the slower version when it comes to range. If 50-60 yds is max, then 355 has a lot going for it with ADF and bumpers added. The Mini is nice also. You just need to give more info so proper advice can be given.
MprBlackout

Post by MprBlackout »

Went with 380 after shopping around. Like to shoot and 405 will wear on ya.
The way i figured, was look at baddest, then back down one.
So glad i did, luv my " Sexy Exy ...."
380 BLACKOUT w/ T-zone 100
Tact handle, ACP trigger, Dr Stirrup w/ bumpers
335 Micro BLACKOUT & 355 Micro camo, both ACP triggers, T-zone 100'd, all w Lumi'd weight matched Zombies
Patriot*

Post by Patriot* »

Either micro or the 380, great choice in Xbows. I know you did not mention the micro, but it sure is a very nice compact bow in a tree stand or blind or sitting in the woods.
Genesis 27:3
M/380 xtra Real Tree
Micro 335 Real Tree
Micro 335 Nightmare
Axiom 305 Real Tree
the elf

Post by the elf »

Don't forget that your age and physical condition will have a major impact on your
decision------both now and some time in the future !

Alonzo.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Look Kegbelly and Bubba I flipflopped back and forth between the 380 and 405. Because I shoot a lot of 3D,and shoot a lot period, I went with the 380. I'm still thinking about the sheer speed and power of the 405 though. Ideally I'd have my M380 for 3D and every day shooting and an M405 to test and set up with a couple thousand arrows then keep strictly for hunting.....get the 405.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
bubba

Post by bubba »

hey paul, I would never knock the 405.. And if I was twenty years younger before my back injury I'd would definitely consider the 405, I've always believed in the more speed the better, still do! But the 380 for me at my age and physical abilities was for me about at the max. And that would be for hunting were as once sighted in a few cocks here and there i know i can handle. But i sure wont be shooting a lot of paper, for me my Ibex is good for 20-30 shots, But if you can handle the 405 by all means... But really its different strokes for different folks, I'm still new in the Excalibur family, and still have a lot to learn but i have yet to see a Excalibur crossbow that could not take down a deer. They are all goooooood.........{SMILE}
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I chose the 355 and it's all I need. Best bow out there for me! Plenty of power!
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline