Crossbow hunts with lots of pictures ...

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

R.J.

Crossbow hunts with lots of pictures ...

Post by R.J. »

Looking at Sandman's recent post with pictures reminds me of many other past hunts and how cool it is to tell a story with pictures added ....

I remember Catchers 2014 post that combined trail camera pictures to tell the story ... that was really cool .
1. Recovery Picture .
2. Trail camera picture with buck walking thru the frame .
3. Trail camera picture with hunter walking to recover arrow ( luminock )

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... il#p529452
I've been so busy chasing waterfowl lately I have not even been out deer bow hunting once yet this year, even though I was getting some pics of a good Buck showing up in the morning once every couple of days or so . So after checking my camera yesterday and seeing the Buck was still around in the morning every 3-4 days , I decided to give him a try today, got in my blind by 6:45 and settled in for the hunt, then when all of a sudden all the morning doves took off at about 7:20 ish I looked around to the right and saw him coming straight in, my heart was pounding and he looked twice straight at me through the large window in the blind. But he eased into range and at 18 yards I sent a PX2 broadhead through his lungs and heart. He took off with his head down crashing the whole time for about 60 yards and pilled up. Pretty neat to see the pics on trail cam of him walking in and then me going to get my arrow , check out lumenock glowing in pic on the ground. I knew he was down I heard him crash and take his last breath , awesome hunt. Now back to waterfowl hunting , Bluebills are starting to show up now ...Image Image
Image. Image
Image. Image

I copy/pasted some past threads with some cool Whitetail Deer / Crossbow hunter interaction pictures and stories ... from Wylie's adventures at the ramp stand to some other action outings .

Wylie arrows his first crossbow buck !

Some of you may remember a project , we thought of , back in 2008 and started on in 2009 ... it was a Wheel Chair accessible ramp tree stand that overlooked a deer trail at the back of my property .

Started off with some discounted wood from a farmer / sawmill friend of Vern and Ed's

We stacked wood at the back of my property ... waited for the weather to cool and the bugs to thin out .

Long story short ... with lots of help from friends , we finished off the ramp stand and Wylie has been trying to arrow a whitetail from that position ever since !

Fast forward till today ( Wednesday October 12th 2011 ) ... I'm working night shift , sleeping in , and I get a cell call at 7:47 am ... It's Wylie " I arrowed one " !

I say " hold tight " ... " I'll be right there ! " , and then I put in a call to our " deer recovery hotline " ...

Pydpiper responds right away ... " On my way "

Randy S. and Chris H. > are in the que as back-up .

I get to the back > and see this smiling face ! ... Wylie excitedly walks me thru the morning events, and how the buck came in .. past some trees ... circled back and when he presented Wylie with a perfect 20 yard broadside shot , Wylie let fly one of Big John's custom arrows off the deck of his newly aquired Excalibur Vortex !

I drop down to the lower trail .... arrow looks good !

Take a quick picture from below and give Wylie the thumbs up as I start to track ...

Not a hard blood trail to follow ... good sign on the ground and even in places the buck jumped during his quick exit !

80 yards further in , and I find him ... ( 20 yard shot , Excalibur Vortex , Boo Custom String , Big John Custom bolt , 150 Gr Bolt Cutter Brodhead )

Back at sea level ... Pydpiper arrives > and the work / drag out begins !

David and I drag the buck to a lower clearing , where Wylie can drive up for a " Field shot " picture .

9:40 am = Tagged , > loaded in my truck for a trip to our favorite Mennonite Butcher ... I'm back home by noon and time to post the pictures ... Heading to bed soon for a nap before work .

Congrat's Wylie ... A beauty > for your first crossbow buck !

And a special thanks to Vern , Ed , David , Chris , Randy , Robin for thier donations of time etc to make this memorable moment possible !

Up till now ... these have been some of my favorite action shots captured by my camera , while crossbow hunting with friends ...

Nov 29th Weekend 2008 ... We spot a buck in a corn field ...
The wind is right and the snow is soft enough for a stalk ( Steve R. volunteers ) ... we set the guys up on some other escape routes and I hang back to try to get some cool pictures ...
Unbelievable how close Steve gets to these deer ... I witnessed the whole thing ... I saw a doe and two fawns walk rows away as Steve stalked closer to the the buck that evantually walks ahead with a doe in front of him ..
The buck and doe seem to hear something as Steve's approaches but crane their ears in the opposite direction ... because the wind is right they really have no idea Steve is a few rows over and closing !
The last two frames show the buck lifting head ... appears to be wind scenting .. then from my vantage point they seem to disappear into the lower corn foliage .. Steve is basically right beside them now , downwind ...
Steve gets his crossbow up for the shot ... only he can explain what happend next ... there was a flurry of movement and the few shots I did get were too blurry to post ...
PS : Is it possible to shoot over deer at that short distance ! ... The answer is Yes !
I got some sweet frames of a buck that ran the " Easton Aluminum " gauntlet later in the corn field push !
He stops long enough to look back towards Rob L's position ...
Before he heads into the cover past Chris O's sniper spot ... and that is the last we see of him ..
By the end of the day ... we had no deer down , but some awesome new stories to tell at work !!

Fast forward to Dec 30th 2012

I have many indoor projects on the go again ... the list seems a mile long ... But I did get the dinning room done , so my wife kicked me out for some fresh air !

Our corn came off late November ... So now the deer are back in the bush , closer to our stands .

These three walked past me this morning , while on stand with Rob H. and Leon K.

All three of us saw deer on morning stand but no arrow launches occured ... So we headed approx 1 hour North and met up with Chris H.

Leon and I are driving Toyota's and Rob H. has a big Ford > which is handy for taking the majority of the crew to post ...

On the way up , I spotted a nice buck bedded , and managed to get a few frames as he scrambled off his bed > Over the hill and into cover ... the start of many cool pictures of the day !

The plan was simple ... Find some fresh tracks on farms we have permission to hunt .

Set guys up in known escape routes ... and hope for the best ! Here are some cool pictures from one push that did move deer !

I post Rob H. along a ditch run North of the deer trail... Chris H. across the field North of a couple of my climber trees ... And I hunker in the tree's at the South end to try and get some action photo's ! Leon walks thru the bush West to East .

Well it doesn't take long for the 1st player to show up ... a doe scrambles out of the bush > up the ditch and starts across the field ..

Rob H. gets ready to get on her with his Excalibur Exquinox , but she doesn't slow down = no connection !

The doe smokes across the field and it's looking like she is going to run over Chris H !

I get two cool pictures of Chris H. tracking her with his Excalibur Exomax ... But again > No slow down > No connection !

I guess if I really wanted to have a "finishing shot" on file , I should have put the camera down and launched an arrow off my Y25 Relayer ! > Because these two came by me inside 10 yards .

A big doe running West to East ... And yes , even deer loose their footing , in deep plowed row fields ! She fell hard , then bounced right back up and out of sight !

This doe ( or button fawn ? ) ran past me North / South ... I got a couple quick frames !

The rest of the day was fairly uneventfull .... saw some more deer / coyotes etc. > Got one of the trucks unstuck from a long lane > And made plans for tomorrow morning .
Last day of the season tomorrow, so I'm gonna focus more on the trigger and less on the shutter ! :lol: :lol:

Good luck to all that are chasing whitetails tomorrow as our Ontario season winds down !
Last edited by R.J. on Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
R.J.

Re: Crossbow hunts with lots of pictures ...

Post by R.J. »

How come I couldn't get the pictures from Catchers thread to post on my thread , I copy / pasted / quote ?

Can anybody point out what I did wrong or can you add the pictures for me ?
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
kamont

Post by kamont »

Great Story, Great Pictures, Great Friends
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Absolutely fantastic pictures!! Great post! Congrats on a fine season!
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

Great pictures and great story. Loved it!!
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
Helmut

Post by Helmut »

These are the times that live forever thanks to your camera RJ. I will never forget that doe as long as I live thanks to you. To be honest I am kind of glad I didn't connect make the memory even better
I am still blown away by Wileys chair rig in his truck. I think that is just awesome along with the stand you all built for him.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....wonderful images and a great story to boot...you guys have some mighty healthy deer up by you....tomorrow closes winter bow in Jersey.....and it's a mere 223 days to the opening of early bow in Jersey....cant weight for turkey season....

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Really nice...
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
Mo wannabe

Post by Mo wannabe »

You Sir... Have a gift with the camera !
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Great pictures and hunt! thanks for sharing!

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
Deep In Cover

Post by Deep In Cover »

Great shots!! :D
"Never Mistake Motion For Action"
Ernest Hemingway
Waif

Post by Waif »

Awesome ! Great pics, hunts and retelling.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Incredible pics. I felt like I was hunting with you. Very nice indeed. :D
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Patriot*

Post by Patriot* »

RJ,
Great photos! Thanks for sharing.
Genesis 27:3
M/380 xtra Real Tree
Micro 335 Real Tree
Micro 335 Nightmare
Axiom 305 Real Tree
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

ALWAYS look forward to your posts! great stories and super pics. Thanks