Hunting Bigger game with an Axiom

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Retired CPO

Hunting Bigger game with an Axiom

Post by Retired CPO »

I'm new to the forum and to crossbow hunting. I live in Alaska and plan to hunt Moose and Caribou, primarily, with my Axiom. I'm looking for input from the BIG game hunters concerning arrow weights and broadhead choices. Do you use different gear on bigger game than you use for deer/pigs? How heavy is too heavy for an arrow? I'm not planning on hunting Brown bears but that could possibly change. Anybody have any thoughts about that?
racking up points

Re: Hunting Bigger game with an Axiom

Post by racking up points »

Disclaimer: I don't hunt larger game like moose and I've never hunted dangerous game, like big bears. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

One of the largest Ontario archery moose was taken with a Vixen. But personally, I would opt for more power. The axiom will do the job if your arrow hits the boiler room, no doubt. But what if it doesn't and you miss-hit bone? Those animals you're after have dense muscle, thick gristle and heavy hides. What if you don't score a pass-thru?

Heavy arrows will deliver more KE and should provide more penetration. Maybe something from 425gr-500gr? The cost of that will be less speed and a looping trajectory at game animals where a longer shot is said to be more common. But like I said, I don't shoot larger game like you do and I have never owned an axiom.

IMHO, the idea of chasing big bears with the axiom is what tips the scale. The axiom might be fine on cariboo and moose, but I'd opt for more on a big bear, like a grizzly or an Alaskan brown bear.

Good luck! Keep us posted.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i have shot caribou and black bears with a longbow so your bow would be ok there but anything bigger i would go for more power 355 and up a good fixed blade i feel would be good slicks tricks and ramcats are at the top of my list jmo
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Biggest game i have killed with mine are 200-235 lb Hogs & a Buck. Use an arrow in the 425 gr on up n keep shots as close as you can. Bears you need 600gr arrows with fixed BH's n a good 12 ga wid slugs as a back-up!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Hello Chief. Have not shot a moose with a crossbow but shot plenty in Alberta with a compound bow. Arrows were all in the 400-425 gr range. I don't have a good relationship with mechanicals so I primarily use fixed heads. I have used Magnus 2 blade, Muzzy 4 blade, Muzzy 3 blade , Montec, all with success on moose. There are a few 150 gr fixed crossbow heads out there (WASP/SLICK TRICK and Excalibur Boltcutter) and maybe more that I am not aware of. Arrows out of your crossbow with standard alum inserts/knocks/fletching and a 150 grain head are probably going to be in the 420gr range. That is a good setup right there. You can use more readily available 100-125 gr heads but recommend using brass inserts in your arrows to get the weight up.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
BobbyR

Post by BobbyR »

I don't think you would have a problem with elk or moose. Many of them drop to 60 lb. vertical bows every year.
Grizzly hunting with a bow is a stunt. I don't think anyone should face an animal with something they cannot stop a charging animal with.
I saw a brown bear on YouTube being shot with an xbow, then someone with a heavy rifle smoked it up after the initial shot. That is not bow hunting my friend. Sorry if that offends some, but carrying a firearm as backup isn't bow hunting.
Retired CPO

Post by Retired CPO »

Thanks for your responses. I'm an experienced hunter with a rifle and a muzzle loader. And a very good, careful shot-if I do say so myself. And I've hunted deer with a vertical compound with modest success. Looking at the tables of arrow weight and kinetic energy it looks like the Axiom would "technically" be up to the task. I was just wondering how heavy I could go without losing too much speed. I think I will be using the bolt cutters, I like the idea of that heavy head. Bobbyr- I disagree completely with you opinion, but that's ok, everyone has a right to their own opinion, and I appreciate them all :D. As I said, I don't plan to hunt the big bears, I've never hunted them with a gun either, but no one knows what the future holds. And if I change my mind, I will definitely have a reliable back up with a big gun. I don't go wandering around in the bush, hunting or not, without being adequately armed.
BobbyR

Post by BobbyR »

I am glad that we can disagree, and still be respectful. Good luck on your future endeavors, and be safe with whatever you choose.
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

I have a vortex, taken black bear at 25 yards. Complete pass threw. 375 lb, 18 1/2" skull. My dream hunt is a brown bear with it. Wouldn't hesitate doing it with my vortex. A well placed shot is the key, with a great bh. :D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I think a stiff shaft will help as well. Something like a zombie slayer with a good fixed head. A 20" zombie slayer with a 110 brass insert, blazers, and a 125 gr head would be around 440 if I remember right. You would have 235 up front for a nice FOC. If you are set on bolt cutters drop the insert to 92 gr. You'd be right around 450 gr. and 285fps.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Tom

Post by Tom »

Retired, as was stated above, a 150lb crossbow had taken the record moose in Ontario. It will not matter if you have a heavier bow if you make a bad hit. Hitting a shoulder neither arrow will be effective. A heavy bone will also do the same. If it is a correct shot placement, a 150lb bow will be enough.

The only disadvantage in my opinion with a 150lb bow would be on a frontal shot. I have heard of getting full penitration to getting to the fletching. I personally prefer broadside shots.

How heavy of an arrow can you shoot (for KE) all depends on you and what your comfortable with. Heavier arrows will cause a greater arc in the flight of the arrow. This can cause more difficulty in range estimations as more accuracy is needed then. If you are comfortable estimating distances and do not worry about "arrow lob" you can go as heavy as you want.

My suggestion for moose and elk is to use an arrow setup you are most comfortable with. Comfortable equipment and confidence is very important in success. A quality arrow/head setup for deer will be enough for moose and elk.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Retired CPO

Post by Retired CPO »

Hi Keith; Thanks for your input.
Tom; Thank you. The reason I bought the Axiom is that I have a bad back and was concerned, even with the Axiom, about cocking. Turns out, it's not a problem, tho I have to say after about 20 shots to get it sighted in I was definitely feeling it! I hunt with a good quality laser range finder so distance is pretty much locked in, leaving little to chance in that department.
Knowing what I know now, I might be able to develop some kind of back exercise program tailored to easing the pain of crossbow cocking. Then I could buy a more powerful crossbow :lol:
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Get you a C2 cranking aid & you can hunt with the 405 if you want!! :D
You can find some killer deals on the older Exomags & Exocet's right now...you could take an elephant with one of them. :mrgreen:
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Here's the thing, of course you can kill elk and moose with your axiom. As mentioned, laub an arrow in the 440 -450gr range with a good CUT ON CONTACT broadhead such as a magnus buzzcut or qad exodus to name a couple. Use a broadhead requiring the least amount of energy to penetrate. The other thing to be conscious of is that you'll want to be as close as possible for maximum shot effectiveness and efficiency.

.......BobbyR, respectfully I must also disagree completely with the backup comment. If an animal is finished with a firearm it can't be considered for a P&Y score, but to say having backup isn't bowhunting is equivalent to saying having a net under a tightrope isn't really tightrope walking.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.