FOC's on my quills.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

njlungbuster

FOC's on my quills.

Post by njlungbuster »

I think the Micro has enough power to shoot the FOC broadheads so this is my future plan for hunting arrows. Feel free to critique my planned setup.

Stock quill = 250gr
Remove stock rear insert = -18gr
Add Nu-Fletch Ignitor insert/nock = +39gr
Add NAP FOC head = +170gn
Total arrow weight = 441gr
2015 Excalibur Micro 335
njlungbuster

Re: FOC's on my quills.

Post by njlungbuster »

Maybe not a good idea?
2015 Excalibur Micro 335
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I think you'll be fine. If you're not worried about a few feet per second, that should work well for you. I feel sorry for anything you shoot with that setup! :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
njlungbuster

Post by njlungbuster »

xcaliber wrote:I think you'll be fine. If you're not worried about a few feet per second, that should work well for you. I feel sorry for anything you shoot with that setup! :lol:
Ok cool. So you don't think I'll have a problem with it on deer and turkey?
2015 Excalibur Micro 335
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Nope, the deer & turkey will have a problem! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

I shoot a 430gr total weight arrow outa my 165# exocet . Bow is rated at 270fps and has no trouble going straight though a deer and a good bit into the ground after . Although I do shoot a fixed blade in that bow .

I'm not sure how much energy is needed to open a FOC , but with that heavy of an arrow in a bow rated at 335fps It should be fine . you would lose some speed but gain KE .
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
njlungbuster

Post by njlungbuster »

Cool. Thanks guys. Unfortunately winter bow finished here this weekend and I'm working anyway so I'm done deer hunting until October. But I'll be getting some FOC broadheads and getting her dialed in to try and whack a turkey this spring. I've never shot a turkey with archery equipment so it should be fun.
2015 Excalibur Micro 335
Spike Country

Post by Spike Country »

Sounds like a great turkey set up but I would be worried about not getting a pass through on deer. I guess it would depend on several factors max range being one.
MICHIGAN MEAT HUNTER "Shooting Tomorrows Trophies Today"
Proud member of the Michigan Crossbow Federation!
Boo

Post by Boo »

They will shoot just fine. With a 150 gr broadhead the Quills shoot really well. So, you've added 21 gr to the rear and 20 gr to the front. So you have not upset your FOC by any amount.
I am happy with the way the Quills shoot with a 150 field tip or 150 gr broadhead. The only thing I may do to mine is replace the vanes with Blazers using an Arizona EZ Fletch Bolt.
You should have no worries shooting those shovels on the Quills. Adding a bit more weight is actually insurance for a 3" mechanical.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

njlungbuster wrote:Cool. Thanks guys. Unfortunately winter bow finished here this weekend and I'm working anyway so I'm done deer hunting until October. But I'll be getting some FOC broadheads and getting her dialed in to try and whack a turkey this spring. I've never shot a turkey with archery equipment so it should be fun.
Shot placement on a turkey is critical. Check out a few videos for shot placement. It's a pretty small area.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
njlungbuster

Post by njlungbuster »

UPSMAN wrote:
njlungbuster wrote:Cool. Thanks guys. Unfortunately winter bow finished here this weekend and I'm working anyway so I'm done deer hunting until October. But I'll be getting some FOC broadheads and getting her dialed in to try and whack a turkey this spring. I've never shot a turkey with archery equipment so it should be fun.
Shot placement on a turkey is critical. Check out a few videos for shot placement. It's a pretty small area.
Yeah I've done a lot of research top know the best places top shoot them for both am ethical kill as well as a shorter tracking job(aka no flying away). I'm pretty stoked about it to be honest. It'll be a big challenge to do it without a blind too.
2015 Excalibur Micro 335
SEW

Post by SEW »

I think the FOCs will work well with your set up. Center of back has been my best turkey killer.
mbc4

Post by mbc4 »

i shoot a 520gr arrow out of my vortex no problems at all. killed a doe this year ground shot 12 paces quartered to me, thru shoulder out the back destroyed its rear leg bone arrow buried in ground ten yrds behind. but i shoot fixed at around 295fps. the focs look scary, the deer i think will just die of fright.
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
Chefrific

Post by Chefrific »

I use FOC's with my Vortex and I get pass through on deer and then some. The only thing I have noticed is that It is accurate out to 40 yards but at 50 it starts going all over the place. As long as you are shooting 20,30,40 yards, you should be fine. BTW... Just ordered my micro last night. Can't wait.
-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex