Ibex string tips?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Minnow

Ibex string tips?

Post by Minnow »

Hello all! I'm a newb to this forum and crossbows as well. Got my ibex for Christmas and been reading on this forum constantly ever since, it's an endless well of info and I'd like to thank excalibur and all of u who share you're info!

Anyways, on to my question...
I'm not interested in max speed, I'd rather have strong impact so have decided to use an arrow with a total weight between 400gr and 450 gr( prolly around 425gr) would I benefit from switching to a Flemish string? I'd like to get the most out of my bow and I understand that it can depend on a combination of weight vs string? Any info would be appreciated
Last edited by Minnow on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender
Mo wannabe

Re: Ibex tips

Post by Mo wannabe »

Welcome to the forum ... I don't know a lot about the strings and different weights but I'm sure someone who does will chime in and help you out. Enjoy that new xbow !
Micro 335 Camo. Micro Nightmare. Vixen Matrix 310 Axiom
Leupold scopes VixenMaster Strings
Big john arrows. BOO strings & things
Montec g5
DaGriz knive
Less work.....more hunt
Derry Hicks
Excalibur only
SniperWolf

Re: Ibex string tips?

Post by SniperWolf »

I had an ibex. I had a Flemish string on it and used the firebolt bolts and 100 gr. tip. I got the whole 305 fps out of this set up. Used 100 gr. Magnum Slick Tricks in the fall. Arrow went through a deer like it was butter. Great bow. Lots of fun to shoot. Hope this helps.
Matrix 330 "Mercy"
Slick Tricks
Boo Custom String
SniperWolf

Post by SniperWolf »

Also: put the dissipator bars on that bad boy. It will quiet your bow down quite a bit and throw on the S5 stoppers as well. I tried the bow before I put this stuff on and I found the bow to be quite loud at firs .
Matrix 330 "Mercy"
Slick Tricks
Boo Custom String
Boo

Post by Boo »

Buy another string like the one that came with the bow. Shoot them both until they stop creeping. When they're worn out, ask yourself if you wanted a "better" string.
A Flemish string gets you some speed but at a cost of forgiveness in the event of a dry fire. Once you've dry-fired it a couple of times you'll have gained enough respect for your equipment to make a decision which way to go.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

On the other hand you can have a Flemish style string made of the same material as yer Factory stock string n have the best of both worlds :) Yup some of the String makers here make them. Danny Miller also has them as the optional Flemish dacron. Every thing has a learnin curve so jus don't be in a rush to pickup 10 fps more at the expence of breakin parts by owner error.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bubba

Post by bubba »

Both Boo and Vixenmaster, are right on, but once you feel you are good and familiar with your outfit, have the cocking and putting the safety on, loading your arrow, doing all these things until it becomes a second nature. Because like said moving up to a custom Flemish string, will give you more speed, but along with that speed comes more vibration and stress on your bow, especially in a dry fire situation. But I have a Ibex and I upgraded my string first with a Danny Miller fast flight flemish, and then a Boo custom force 10, and I gained 8 f.p.s. shooting a 374 grain finished arrow, I'll never look back its what I prefer...This is my opinion, I like the extra speed.. Just make sure you are ready,and choose for yourself, Welcome to the forum and congrats on your bow, and may you have the pleasure of slinging many a arrow down range..............
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Minnow

Post by Minnow »

Thanks a lot guys :D I think I'll stick with the excel string for this season, get used to my setup, then I may order a boo string for next year

Also: great to know that Don Katsumi (maker of the boo string) is a resident here in Toronto, might save on delivery!
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender