Rangefinder for Turkey

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Fred T

Rangefinder for Turkey

Post by Fred T »

I'm looking for a rangefinder that will work good for turkey and deer.I'm of the understanding that most will have no problem with deer but can be marginal for turkey even in bow range.Any feedback on models anyone has found to be effective would be appreciated.
Ibex SMF-S5-TactZone-BE Zombies/blazers
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
UPSMAN

Re: Rangefinder for Turkey

Post by UPSMAN »

Use my Leupold rxi 1000 all the time for turkeys. Great piece of equipment.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I use the bushnell scout 2000 it has arc for calculating range and compensating for elevation but that is not necessary for bow applications. It has no problem hitting those birds and I suspect lower end bushnell models would probably do the trick too.

F
bubba

Post by bubba »

There is a lot of good ones out there. And if money is no object some real sporty ones, but if your like me and money matters a whole lot and is in less supply as in my case, then look at the best you can afford.. I looked thru some big money ones that sure was nice, and a few that had terrible optics, I finally settled on a Simmons Tilt, plus or minus I foot accuracy out to I think 600 yards, It works fine for me and the glass an'it that bad 104.00 American dollars plus I spent 9.00 dollars for a two pack of batteries..........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I've been using the same old Bushnell Yardage Pro 800 since the late '90's, and it works on deer as well as turkeys.
greentag

Post by greentag »

ive got a redfield raider 600,its not real expensive but works good for turkeys,it will work through the mesh on a blind,if that helps...
2004 Exomax
same ole Varizone
Danny Miller's strings
20" Black Eagle Executioner's with Blazers
100 grain 2" Swackers
(why such wide limbs you ask?.......cause chicks dig em!)
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

Thanks for the replies.Cost is certainly a factor for me.After some searching the Bushnell The Truth looks like a strong candidate in my price range.I know I won't get top end optics in that price range.Thats fine as long as it will accurately range a bird.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
greentag

Post by greentag »

Fred T wrote:Thanks for the replies.Cost is certainly a factor for me.After some searching the Bushnell The Truth looks like a strong candidate in my price range.I know I won't get top end optics in that price range.Thats fine as long as it will accurately range a bird.
thats the one i was looking at when i decided to get the redfield,if you can,look through them before deciding,the print is really small in the truth,but it has the arc thing in it for hunting out of treestands.
2004 Exomax
same ole Varizone
Danny Miller's strings
20" Black Eagle Executioner's with Blazers
100 grain 2" Swackers
(why such wide limbs you ask?.......cause chicks dig em!)
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

The Redfield looks nice ,6x mag.,compact and in my budget.I will certainly take a look at it as well.Quick easily read range indication will be important.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I don't use a rf for turkeys. I just pace off how far my decoys are up and that's worked for three of them...... :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

awshucks wrote:I don't use a rf for turkeys. I just pace off how far my decoys are up and that's worked for three of them...... :mrgreen:
I usually set my decoys at 20yds.However if Mr Tom gets hung up 10 or 20yds out from them and does'nt want to play I would like to have an accurate distance instead of a guessimate.With so small a kill zone on a gobber every advantage to reduce the margin of error is good in my book.Of course the RF will be used for deer as well but want one that can also properly range the smaller black target.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've got the Primos Truth with the arc. It works fine as I've used it for some hunter 3D shoots that allow rf's. The one thing I found is that in poor light and deep canopy it had trouble registering at times. My two buddies found the same thing but although I don't know what they were using I'm sure they weren't expensive rf's. The Primos is fine for my application and I liked the price point. I just need it to range, I'll keep the high quality optics on my bow and around my neck.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

One thing I would suggest is to stick with 4X magnification. Everyone has their own preferences but I've used 4X and 6X and I much prefer a 4X. The higher the magnification the harder it is to hold steady, for me anyways. Assuming max range on turkey or deer w/ crossbow might be 50-60 yards, I feel 6X is just too much. JMHO :D
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Fred T

Post by Fred T »

i snagged a Nikon Prostaff 5 on sale.Still a little above my budget but it looks like a quality unit a should serve my purpose well.
Wasp Jak Knife,Drone.
Vixenmaster string.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

you will like that one they work just fine, I got one :D :D :D