O T shotgun guys

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

dutchhunter

O T shotgun guys

Post by dutchhunter »

as I was saying in another post I made a trip to are local gun shop looking for a scope ,something ells cought my eye well looking around ,He had a rugger red label in a 12g with 2.75inch chamber with mod and improved cyl fixed chokes .I can not find any info for this gun .some one had got blood or put it away wet as there is a little damage to the blueing at the muzzle end .other wise she is a very nice shotgun and it fits me to a tee .anybody got any info on this gun in this configuration and a potential value .thanks Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
TPM

Re: O T shotgun guys

Post by TPM »

Short chambers and fixed chokes is likely a 1970's gun.
Some guys love these guns and have great luck with them but I'm not one of them. I had one about 20 years ago and I had nothing but trouble with it. It went back for warranty work three times in the first year I had it. Ended working out a deal for the dealer to take it back.
Having said that, you should be able to pick a used one in 12ga with fixed chokes for around $650-$750 but I'd look for a used Citori or low end Berreta. Much more gun for a liitle more money.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
bubba

Post by bubba »

Ruger red lable 12ga side by side shotgun, can really varies in price, depending on wood, metal work, a lot of things but I've seen them from 800.00 to 1600.00 like said on how much custom work is involved. go to the gun trader web site and try and compare there, I've always been a rimington, browning guy as far as shotguns go.......
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
TPM

Post by TPM »

The Red Label is an O/U. The Gold Label is a SxS. You're right though, prices can vary but the biggest price killer is fixed chokes. The whole world seems to want choke tubes.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Retired CPO

Post by Retired CPO »

TPM is right, Ruger Red Label is an o/u, not side by side. I've owned one for more than 20 years and it's the best o/u I've ever owned or shot. With the little damage you mention and age and fixed choke, you should be able to get a good deal on it. In U.S. dollars, I'd say $500 to $600. And you won't regret it. The most important thing about a shotgun is the fit and feel.. I would jump on it with both feet. :!: :!:
dutchhunter

Post by dutchhunter »

I backed away when he said the best he would do was 800$ .It did fit me very well but with the bluing being damaged at the muzzle and fixed chokes I was not in to big of a hurry to lay out 800$ ,thanks for the info ,Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
Pintail

Post by Pintail »

TPM wrote:Short chambers and fixed chokes is likely a 1970's gun.
Some guys love these guns and have great luck with them but I'm not one of them. I had one about 20 years ago and I had nothing but trouble with it. It went back for warranty work three times in the first year I had it. Ended working out a deal for the dealer to take it back.
Having said that, you should be able to pick a used one in 12ga with fixed chokes for around $650-$750 but I'd look for a used Citori or low end Berreta. Much more gun for a liitle more money.
I agree, I still have a few Citori's. The first one I got back in the early 80's has more then 20,000 rounds through it( skeet and sporting clays) and the box is still tight. The rugers are nice guns but can't take the punishment of competition shooting.
Have crossbows will travel