NEWBIE suppressor and string issue help

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pawguy

NEWBIE suppressor and string issue help

Post by Pawguy »

I have yet to fire my new matrix 380 bow and noticed the string is leaving marks in my suppressor pads. I read in posts somewhere the string should be approx. 1/4 inch from suppressors.

Any input on whether this is normal or how to fix is appreciated. :(
2015 matrix 380 camo
2015 Sierra 3500 Diesel
diablo 18 lumenoks
Anderson 125 fixed blades
bikerbob24

Re: NEWBIE suppressor and string issue help

Post by bikerbob24 »

about 1/4 inch will work fine.... :D
Micro 335
Nightmare 335
Matrix 330
Axiom
Vixenmaster Flemish Strings
K-9 handler and trainer , K-9 Baily my partner for 7 years, we are now retired , spending our time hunting & fishing or just enjoying life.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

It will leave marks when shot, but not deep grooves! Make sure the seems are NOT parallel to the string, you will see the molding marks, or seems, if you hit them square, they will split right now!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Pawguy

Post by Pawguy »

xcaliber the string is sitting on suppressor pad leaving a slight groove about as deep as string but suppressor pad seems are not on same line as string . IS this ok or will they loosen off as fired ?
2015 matrix 380 camo
2015 Sierra 3500 Diesel
diablo 18 lumenoks
Anderson 125 fixed blades
SEW

Post by SEW »

Do you have a stringing aid? If not, you'll need to get one. The string stretches causing the brace height to lessen. The string should be slightly off the suppressors . Often figures like 1/4" are given. I think this is to allow for continued stretch. Boo, Vixenmaster, JBK(Wyvern Creations), others make aftermarket strings that are prestretched. They will stretch less. Eventually, the higher quality strings will essentially quit stretching. Eventually is a long time. Stringing aid!!
I keep mine appx 1/16-1/8" off the suppressors , which you should have extras. Welcome to starting to shoot Excaliburs. To me, this is the only downside; and it's not bad.
I believe I get better accuracy with the Boo and Vixenmaster strings.
Last edited by SEW on Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

You need to twist the string Counter Clock Wise to raise the brace height, thus get the string off the bumpers as B/Bob stated. Ideally a 1/4" gap works great. Do you have a stringing tool?
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

SEW got you straight there. If you don't have the tool, please help yourself by not shooting until you correct that. it is HARD on the limbs if the brace is too low!!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Yer 380 new? with new string twist that booger up 3/8" above the pads it will stretch real quick.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Stringing Aid included with a simple instruction tag attached :idea:
You are not the first to have this issue. The good thing is you knew enough to see that it was a problem and asked for assistance before causing any damage.

This is the only negative in my opinion with Excalibur. Not including one of the most important tools necessary especially when maximum string creep is a given during initial break in.
Hopefully the shop where you bought the bow has one in stock I know when I first bought an Excalibur once I discovered I need one after getting home and all set to shot for the first time that the 4 Excalibur dealers in the area did not have any in stock. Resulting in a frustrating delay of 2 weeks while I waited for one to be ordered in before I could use my new crossbow for the first time.
Some say it is operator error but I say it is up selling at the cost of customer satisfaction.
My 2 cents
Good luck.
Stringing Aid
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Just in case you don't know what it is, the brace height is the measure from the split/seam where the riser (with the limb assembly) meets the rail to the front of the string. That measure is recommended by Excalibur to be set at 3/4" and that's exactly where I keep mine. As mentioned as well, initially set your brace height about 3/16" or higher than you want to end up at.1 1/8" is a good starting point. The stringing aid is a must have. Well done with the sharp eye. :wink:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

paulaboutform wrote:Just in case you don't know what it is, the brace height is the measure from the split/seam where the riser (with the limb assembly) meets the rail to the front of the string. That measure is recommended by Excalibur to be set at 3/4" and that's exactly where I keep mine. As mentioned as well, initially set your brace height about 3/16" or higher than you want to end up at.1 1/8" is a good starting point. The stringing aid is a must have. Well done with the sharp eye. :wink:
X2. One of the biggest assets of the Excalibur Crossbows is that with the recurve limb design, you can change/adjust the string yourself, at home, in the field,easily. No need to have a press or go to the bow shop. But you cant do this without a stringing aid. If you dont have one, order one. Either the Excal brand or the Danny Miller made version(thumbs up) Until it gets here, you can make one easily out of mower or chain saw pull cord,or simular rope, with a bowline knot in each end.These are easy to do and work well. You can google the bowline. Good luck and congrats on the new bow.