NO REAR INSERT???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

OK. DEER HUNTER

NO REAR INSERT???

Post by OK. DEER HUNTER »

Some friends and I were shooting this eve when a guy stopped to watch us shoot. He soon asked if he could join us and we said sure. He showed up with a nice looking horton xbow but was shooting Terminator shafts with out rear nocks. They were just bare carbon shafts at the rear and when I asked why, he stated he bought the full length arrows from wal-mart and cut them down to length and just removed the vert bow nocks. His bow shot fare and nothing went wrong in my presence but I was concerned. Since without a doubt I am certainly not an authority on xbows just yet, with just over a year of experiance, I held my tounge and didnt offer any advice on the subject. Is this normal or even acceptable? I figured with any kind of regular shooting this would destroy the string. He said he would join us again somtime and I would like to help out when I can but until I have confirmation I feel I am not at liberty to correct somthing I am not sure about to someone I barely know. I may never see him again but figured I would ask the pros to enlighten me so I can pass on knowledge especially if it is dangerous and possibly harmful to me or a friend. Anyhow guys thank you as I know I will be at least a little smarter for asking. :lol:
For God so loved archers that he gave his only son in sacrifice for our sins. God will bless you with the flesh of the earth and is willing to help them who are willing to help themselves to mega bucks if you ask and he will!!
Digger

Post by Digger »

OK Deer Hunter:
Not only can he cut the string with the raw end of his shaft , but he could split the bolt of a cabon shaft if the rear of the bolt is not snug against the string when fired. Nocks whether flat, half moon or theaded keep the rear of the bolt right angles to the string. If the shaft wasnt cut straight it can throw the accuracy off and wont be consistent. This practice could be dangerous not only to the shooter but also to a spectator.

Digger
Digger
2008 Y25 Relayer #593 Boo string, lumizone
2-1984 Relayer,
2-1992 Wolverine
Excal Phoenix, acudraw, VARizone
T.P. Titan TL4, acudraw 50, Varizone
Vixen, Steddy Eddy, Varizone
Martin Rage
Martin Jaguar
PSE Infinity
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

That sounds like an accident waiting to happen.

It probably would mess with the FOC too.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
OK. DEER HUNTER

Post by OK. DEER HUNTER »

Thanks for a definitive answer guys, this is somthing I had not encountered in my short xbow carreer as of yet, but we should all be better for it. I will try to give suttle advice to correct the things I see that could use some tweeking. In fairness I should state he was not a hunter and purchased a xbow in interest to its history and archery in general and was not inclinded to use these tactics hunting game, but for the safety factors you all mentioned I will try to promote safer and more accurate practices to ensure if he should one day go afield he and our critters will be better because of the info you have shared. That is after all, what its all about right.... I should also state that he showed a great enthusiasum towards my Exocet and I have certainly swayed him towards Excalibur with the accuracy of my shots and reluctance to fire twice at the same target point :shock:
For God so loved archers that he gave his only son in sacrifice for our sins. God will bless you with the flesh of the earth and is willing to help them who are willing to help themselves to mega bucks if you ask and he will!!