Round #3 Antlered Deer in Arkansas

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Round #3 Antlered Deer in Arkansas

Post by SEW »

I live in the very NE corner of AR. I hunt in my backyard at Piggott, AR and a lease of ~600 acres near Boydsville, AR. Gave the names in case some wanted to look it up.
This evening at 5:30PM, I flew out to Boydsville and saw 30-35 deer in an 80 acre wheat field just across the creek from my lease. Configured the airplane where I could fly 70-75 mph and into the wind so about 60 mph ground speed. I came by them at about 30' abs alt and saw 4 antlered bucks, but none even averaged size for deer in this area: a couple of 6's and 8's. These were small! My understanding is that older bucks loose their antlers first and become immediately nocturnal out of fear of the still antlered smaller bucks. Now for the strange part, 2 of the bucks were fighting : seemed more like playing - a shoving match.
Incidentally, a front is moving in which often causes deer to be more active. Also, a flock of turkeys were in their midst.
So, some antlered deer still around. Only 17 more days of bow season left! (27 Sep - 28 Feb).
Lake shooter

Re: Round #3 Antlered Deer in Arkansas

Post by Lake shooter »

Hey SEW, THAT's pretty cool.

Of the bucks that I have on camera, most that have dropped are yearlings. Have only seen one older one with a slick head so far. I have read the exact opposite, that the older bucks drop later, but there's so much crap out there about deer that anything is possible. They do what they do, when they do it. THAT by golly, is a fact!!!! :D

I know this; I stopped hunting in early January this year and just had fun with my cameras, mainly because I wanted video evidence of how late the bucks in my area carry their antlers. I wanted no part of shooting a nice buck and having his rack pop off in my hands, or when he hit the ground! :shock: I have no problem giving them another season to get bigger, and I WILL by golly be buck hunting until late January, next year! 8)
GGC

Re: Round #3 Antlered Deer in Arkansas

Post by GGC »

LOL....Buzzin' those deer. Had a Cherokee 180 for 20+ years.
Have a friend still in the AF over in McGuire AFB. Get up with him every once in awhile. He belongs to a club at Flyin W.