Micro\Quill and NAP FOC redux. NO GO

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Chefrific

Micro\Quill and NAP FOC redux. NO GO

Post by Chefrific »

My vortex loved the 170 grain nap foc's. Had great accuracy and devastating results on deer.
So when I got my micro, I was excited to use the same head. As I posted on some other threads, I put the 170 grain field points on and the chronograph avg was 319fps. However, as I shot at various ranges I began to notice erratic flight. VERY inconstant. Would shoot 1 to 3 inches in any direction at 20 yards and as you can imagine, this problem got worse at 30 and 40 yards.
I thought, is it my scope, is it the bow itself, or is it me?
I'm no expert BY FAR, but I wondered if the shorter quills just did not like the 170 grain heads.
This morning I setup exactly how I did shooting the 170 grain. Starting at 20 yards, from a rest and I switched to a 125 grain field tip and instantly shot perfect bulls-eye's every shot! It's a little breezy here so I did not back up and shoot at 30, 40 etc. But by switching to the 125 grain, it became a tack driver at 20 yards.
Eureka...perhaps.
Just wanted to share my experience for the sake of anyone else considering the nap foc for their micro.
-2019 Assassin 420
-2015 Micro 335 RTX
-2013 Vortex
MI Yeti

Re: Micro\Quill and NAP FOC redux. NO GO

Post by MI Yeti »

Seems like to much weight up front for such a short arrow . You could try installing heavy nocks and light composite/carbon inserts . Some lighted nocks are pretty hefty .
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Thanks for the report, i have not tried them on the Micro, and probably won't now!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!

Post by newbie »

Try a stiffer arrow.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Boomer81

Post by Boomer81 »

Thank you for this post! I am expecting a mag340 shortly and have the 170gr FOC set up on my 350LE, i guess my plan to throw the heads onto the quill wont work out. Maybe ill try shooting the diablo/foc together with the mag340 and see how that works. I also have 150gr boltcutters i can try on the quills too.
"Rumble"
Matrix 350LE Treestand Camo

"Ravage"
Micro Mag 340 Mossy Oak Camo
AJ01

Post by AJ01 »

I would think with all that weight "up front" your FOC would be way out of whack. Probably close to 30% or better. I shoot a Micro. BEE's with 110g Brass insert and 100g pointy things up front, they fly just right. As you noticed the lighter "head" flew much better. I don't know your arrow set-up but I think you'll have better results with a different lighter point.

AJ
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming "Wow, What a Ride!
janesy

Post by janesy »

Chefrific wrote:
Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:40 am
My vortex loved the 170 grain nap foc's. Had great accuracy and devastating results on deer.
So when I got my micro, I was excited to use the same head. As I posted on some other threads, I put the 170 grain field points on and the chronograph avg was 319fps. However, as I shot at various ranges I began to notice erratic flight. VERY inconstant. Would shoot 1 to 3 inches in any direction at 20 yards and as you can imagine, this problem got worse at 30 and 40 yards.
I thought, is it my scope, is it the bow itself, or is it me?
I'm no expert BY FAR, but I wondered if the shorter quills just did not like the 170 grain heads.
This morning I setup exactly how I did shooting the 170 grain. Starting at 20 yards, from a rest and I switched to a 125 grain field tip and instantly shot perfect bulls-eye's every shot! It's a little breezy here so I did not back up and shoot at 30, 40 etc. But by switching to the 125 grain, it became a tack driver at 20 yards.
Eureka...perhaps.
Just wanted to share my experience for the sake of anyone else considering the nap foc for their micro.
Did you spin the arrows with the FOC's on there? Curious if they many need a slight tune. Also as Newbie mentioned, a stiffer shaft would help.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Normous

Post by Normous »

The 170 gr FOC was my broadhead of choice for many years puting down deer in short order.

My Micro 360 shot the FOC very well with a 16.5" .001 Zombie shaft.

Instead of the 170 gr FP I used the actual FOC JB WELDED shut I might add.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

What weight inserts are you shooting and what brand shaft?
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boomer81

Post by Boomer81 »

Update

Tried the 170gr FOCs on the factory quill arrows (for a total of 420gr) out of my mag340 and they shot great! I zerod at 20 then moved back to 30 and 40 and after adjusting the speed ring to about 330fps it was hitting dead on at every range.

My longest shot would be between 30-40yrds out of my treestand and 17yrds from my ground blind so i am confident i will be good to go in either spot.

I tried them on my diablos as well and they shot great, was surprised that they did amazing on the shorter quills but i just wanted to mention this incase anyone else was wondering about factory arrows and the Nap FOCs i did not get the random flyers like the OP. I would say try for yourself and see if it works for you. They also burried the quills almost to the fletchings into my Block Target (not new but def not shot out) and at 20yrds you could see the block recoil with the impact.
"Rumble"
Matrix 350LE Treestand Camo

"Ravage"
Micro Mag 340 Mossy Oak Camo
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

You did not say what kind of fletching you are using it does make a big difference.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I shoot 16" Zombie Slayers with 110gr brass inserts and 150gr Magnus Stinger 2 blades and they fly perfectly. 20grs would not make much of a difference IMO so the issue is not too much weight up front. In fact I probably have more weight up front (260gr) verses a stock Al insert and a 170 gr FOC. FOC helps everything. You could try a heavier insert than the stock Aluminum one.

Since there is no "Archer's Paradox" to overcome, crossbow arrows should be as stiff as possible. Black Eagle ZOmbie Slayers or Gold Tip Nitro Pro arrows are about the stiffest. Also, with a shorter arrow, you may need more correction from the fletchings than you get with the stock 2" offset vane. Try 2" Blazers put on with lots of helical. A stock Quill weighs 250gr, so adding a 125gr head is definitely on the light side for hunting.

I would think this would fly very well and hit very very hard:
16" Zombie Slayer, 110gr brass insert, 2" Blazer put on with helical, standard flat plastic nock, 170gr FOC broadhead. Total weight around 450gr
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><