Attempting Bolts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

tripNchip

Attempting Bolts

Post by tripNchip »

Use to build and repair my own arrows and have over a dozen XX75 2315's laying here. I checked the Diablo's .016's smaller outside dia. then the 2315's At least as close as I could tell. I know 2219 is what is normally used but that's not what I have and I'm bored. OH this will really make you shake your head, I don't inserts so I'm just using the 2315 point inserts on both ends.
So this is what I am setting with.
Shaft 1 XX75 2315 Shaft 2 XX75 2315
cut to 16 inches cut to 16 inches
2 in. blazers RH low profile 4 in RH
100 gr. field point 100 gr. field point
total wt. 375.2 gr. total wt. 386.7

I had to trim a tad off the blazers as they touched the bottom of the rail. Has any one used a 4 in. fletch in their cross bow? I wont be able to do a good test on these bolts until spring. About 8 yards is all I can get in the basement.
Have a blessed day
strum

Re: Attempting Bolts

Post by strum »

maybe im wrong on this but I feel those shaft walls are too thin..
are we talking a Micro?
and the inserts for knocks..i don't feel good about this either.
Micro RTX
Nikon Bolt XR
BEE Arrows
Slick Trick Magnum
Unshot Beta Chrony
John3:16
tripNchip

Post by tripNchip »

It is a Matrix 330. The inserts appear to be made the same way as the ones in the Diablo, just different size. Just took mesurment on shaft wall and it looks like about .015.
Comments are what I'm looking for before shooting them.
Thanks for yours
Have a blessed day
JPjunkie

Post by JPjunkie »

strum wrote:maybe im wrong on this but I feel those shaft walls are too thin..
are we talking a Micro?
and the inserts for knocks..i don't feel good about this either.
I smell fish Brother :shock:
Matrix 405 Boo string Big John arras Praise the Lord For all Things
bikerbob24

Post by bikerbob24 »

I may be wrong ...but back in the day didn't Excalibur use 2117's ? I shoot 2219's as I have about 6 dozen shafts I got from a place that was going out of business a few years back... :D
Micro 335
Nightmare 335
Matrix 330
Axiom
Vixenmaster Flemish Strings
K-9 handler and trainer , K-9 Baily my partner for 7 years, we are now retired , spending our time hunting & fishing or just enjoying life.
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Yes 2315 walls are thinner by .01 than a 2216, but they are stiffer than a 2216. Not as durable as a 2219 but are still a viable arrow for a crossbow. 2315 converts to .359375 diameter, slightly larger that the typical .344/.346 carbon crossbow arrows. String will sit below centre of arrow because of the larger diameter. I do not believe there will be a problem using those arrows. I don't see any problem using inserts at both ends either. Never used 4 inch fletch but what the heck.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
Normous

Post by Normous »

Your 2315's will be fine on your M330.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
tripNchip

Post by tripNchip »

Thanks for the reply's and info. Like I said I wont be able to really try them out until spring, unless we get a nice day and I take a target to the fish house . Just my luck the CO would come along and want to know what I'm doing with the xbow when I can't shoot any fish with it. can't figure out why I can shoot deer, bear, turkey's and so on but can't shoot a sucker, or carp. Guess I'll just be happy I can use a crossbow now that they consider me old.lol
Have a blessed day
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

tripNchip wrote:Just my luck the CO would come along and want to know what I'm doing with the xbow when I can't shoot any fish with it. lol
Sure glad I live in Ohio, we always been crossbow friendly,,, I don't think we were ever restricted weapon wise from using a crossbow,,,, maybe waterfowl, not sure, but I don't play that game,,,, :wink:

Fer inexpensive arrows see the Spynal Tapp special from SSAS, when there gone there won't be no more quality $3.00 a piece shafts for us recurve folk's,,,, 18" is all he has lft @ 30 buck's a dozen!!s
Last edited by wildcatter on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Boo

Post by Boo »

If a Blazer is too long for your mainframe/rail then you are not shooting the Blazer fletched arrow out of an Excalibur. That issue does arise in Ten Point and some other crossbows. There is however, a minor issue that sometimes arises where the Blazer touches the riser on a burr where the bolts attach the mainframe to the riser or the riser itself. If that is the case, you'll notice no real wear on the Blazer and there is no accuracy degradation. You do not have to trim the Blazer vane.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I recommend polishing the aluminum inserts you're using on the nock end. I used a fine grit sanding sponge on mine when I shot aluminum nocks. It doesn't take much and just smooths it out nicely to avoid any sharp edges cutting your center serving material.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
tripNchip

Post by tripNchip »

Boo, these are fletching I had bought for the v-bow and the package says blazer. I'm thinking the 2315 extra diam. sets the fletching a little lower in the rail. The fletching also rubs the scope mount a little harder on the 2315's then what it does on the Diablo's. Like I said all this started out of boredom, if it works out great if not I have only cut down two arrows that I haven't used in years.
I will look into the spynal taps and polishing the nock end.
Have a blessed day
Boo

Post by Boo »

tripNchip wrote:Boo, these are fletching I had bought for the v-bow and the package says blazer. I'm thinking the 2315 extra diam. sets the fletching a little lower in the rail. The fletching also rubs the scope mount a little harder on the 2315's then what it does on the Diablo's. Like I said all this started out of boredom, if it works out great if not I have only cut down two arrows that I haven't used in years.
I will look into the spynal taps and polishing the nock end.
A 23 series may not fit between the latches.
The wider the shaft is, the higher it rides, so depth is not an issue with Blazers with a 23 series and any appropriate shaft.
Don't worry about the scope base pushing down on the fletchings, it will not effect flight at all.
I chamfer any aluminum nock that I use on my bows. If you don't, the rear nock will scrape the arrow channel and you'll get a burning smell.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
tripNchip

Post by tripNchip »

:lol: I was standing between the furnace and freezer when I shot one of the arrows a couple times, the smell had me checking both of them out. :oops: Thanks for the heads up.
Have a blessed day
shafferm

Post by shafferm »

I would recommend using the composite style of inserts in the rear. You do not get the wear and tear on your rail nor the burnt smell and they do not get the sharp burrs on them that can cut into your serving. They are also typically lighter than their aluminum counterparts, which helps a tad with your FOC.

AAE makes quite a few different sizes, you can usually still find them on Ebay. That is how I build my aluminum arrows, aluminum inserts in front and composite inserts in the rear.
2002 Exomag
Varizone with Burris Sig. Zee Rings
My mods:
Scope cover adapters
Optomechanical rangefinder
Custom built lit nocks
BCY Trophy flemish string
20" XX75 2219 arrows with 4" feathers