Air-Brakes Review

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xbowhunter10

Air-Brakes Review

Post by xbowhunter10 »

My Air-Brakes came today and I got them installed on my 355 . Installation was easy I thought . I recommend removing the stirrup after the string is removed . This makes it a lot easier to remove the 4 shoulder bolts and also when its time to install the new longer ones that are supplied . I shot my 355 about 8 times immediately before installing the Air-Brakes so I could make a good assessment on their performance before and after . I was impressed ! On the first shot I noticed more difference in shock and vibration than noise but as I kept shooting it I could also tell a substantial difference in noise also . I think the first shot caught me off guard with so much less shock that I didn't really notice the noise difference until the next few shots . I weighed all the supplied parts before installing them and then weighed the discarded parts after installation and subtracted them from the new parts total . Final weight that is added to bow is 6.37 oz according to my archery scales . Since I had handled the bow right before I could tell a slight weight difference on the front of bow , but I honestly don't think I would have noticed it otherwise . I am very happy with the Air-Brakes and would recommend them to anyone with a Matrix .
Pa.hunter

Re: Air-Brakes Review

Post by Pa.hunter »

Thanks for the review. I have a set ordered for my 380 from Danny Miller. Can't wait to get them. After the guy did the review with his micro I thought maybe I wasted my money. Great review thanks. Charlie
Matrix 405 with Leupold VX-R FireDot duplex
Matrix 380 Xtra with Leupold VX-R FireDot duplex
Matrix 330 with Leupold Crossbones
TriggerTech Matrix hunter 2.5 in all 3
Black Eagles
bubba

Post by bubba »

Hmmm sounds good, no pun intended and the first positive review outside of they are ok,, and that isn't that much more weight, interesting............
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Thanks for the review Xbowhunter! :D
SEW

Post by SEW »

Thanks also for the review. I have a set to put on my M380 and will get another set for my 405 depending. My understanding is that accuracy improves with additional weight forward, to counteract the xbow's tendency to raise at the front upon firing. This weight should help in this aspect also.
stephenlnoe

Post by stephenlnoe »

I put the Air Brakes on my Matrix 355 and here is my take. It is quieter for sure but don't think it will be a miracle. The xbow is still plenty loud. What I purchased the air brakes for mainly is the vibration dampening. It does dampen the vibration considerably.

As far as the noise, it will get rid of the sound which I alway related the xbow to when a baseball is hit with an aluminum bat. It will get rid of that high "KinK' sound (ie vibration sound).

It weighs about 6 ounces which will add since you're not taking much hardware away (4 bolts and 2 plastic spacers).

Overall, I do not regret getting them because it's always the vibration aftershock of a shot which I never liked.
otisbrazwell

Re: Air-Brakes Review=A +++ nice

Post by otisbrazwell »

well I put my air brakes on the micro and it was well worth the $60 bucks..bow sounds like it shooting a 450gr arrow and no vibration..took about 40 mins as I had to deal with allen head issues on 2 bolts no big deal..my limbs were numbered 27.5 & 28..bow shoots sweet and the forward weight isn't noticed.. :D :D :D
rolandmartinez@

Post by rolandmartinez@ »

What's the limb # all about, saw them on mine while putting my brakes on.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

stephenlnoe wrote:I put the Air Brakes on my Matrix 355 and here is my take. It is quieter for sure but don't think it will be a miracle. The xbow is still plenty loud. What I purchased the air brakes for mainly is the vibration dampening. It does dampen the vibration considerably.

As far as the noise, it will get rid of the sound which I alway related the xbow to when a baseball is hit with an aluminum bat. It will get rid of that high "KinK' sound (ie vibration sound).

It weighs about 6 ounces which will add since you're not taking much hardware away (4 bolts and 2 plastic spacers).

Overall, I do not regret getting them because it's always the vibration aftershock of a shot which I never liked.
...welcome aboard Stephen..nice to have your AB report...welcome to the forum..why not go back and complete your registration so we all know where you hail from....again nice to have you and looking forward to more input!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

rolandmartinez@ wrote:What's the limb # all about, saw them on mine while putting my brakes on.
It is how they rate the deflection of each limb. I have one bow with matching deflection rating on both limbs and one .5 difference. I see no difference in consistency or accuracy in either 380 I own, one is a Lynx and one Mad Max.

Thanks for the review amythntr!! I will be adding them to both soon!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

We get this question a lot. To match up the limbs to the best of our ability we have a machine that measures the deflection of each limb. There is about a .5 possible error in the system so we match the limbs within .5 difference. Some customers lose their stuff if those numbers are not identical but it makes no difference.

I find it somewhat amusing that when I first started working here we never tested the limb deflection, if the camo matched they were good to go. We almost never had anybody complain about tiller issues. :D

Thanks for the review on the Air Brakes, they do make a surprising difference in both noise and vibration.

Peter
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:
We get this question a lot. To match up the limbs to the best of our ability we have a machine that measures the deflection of each limb. There is about a .5 possible error in the system so we match the limbs within .5 difference. Some customers lose their stuff if those numbers are not identical but it makes no difference.

I find it somewhat amusing that when I first started working here we never tested the limb deflection, if the camo matched they were good to go. We almost never had anybody complain about tiller issues. :D

Thanks for the review on the Air Brakes, they do make a surprising difference in both noise and vibration.

Peter
...but how come they are so hard to get Peter?....Promises are made to distributors for shipments and then they don't get what is ordered?....what's up?

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

got mine on ebay with free shipping and no bull chit story. had them in my hands in 3 days.
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

...but how come they are so hard to get Peter?....Promises are made to distributors for shipments and then they don't get what is ordered?....what's up?

The problem with new products is it takes a while to get items into the supply chain. We didn't release the new Air Brakes until the ATA show in January where a lot of dealers ordered them. But, many don't want inventory this time of year and program the items for delivery when the sales normally happen. Plus, we don't know how well something will go over so its difficult to predict volumes for production. All this adds up to delays. But, we are cranking them out now and you should see them at dealers shortly. Some dealers actually have them now. If you can't find them send me a PM and I will find a dealer to help you.

Peter
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:
I find it somewhat amusing that when I first started working here we never tested the limb deflection, if the camo matched they were good to go. We almost never had anybody complain about tiller issues.
Peter
Interesting response.
Why would Excalibur bother with deflection?
Unless I have misunderstood what you are saying you seem to dismiss the importance of minimizing limb deflection differences.
Further to that suggest that anyones concerns about measurable side to side tiller differences is unrelated, misguided and unimportant.

I suggest however that todays user are more knowledgable

Interested to hear others take on the subject.