O/T - HOMEMADE SHOOTING MACHINE

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

O/T - HOMEMADE SHOOTING MACHINE

Post by paulaboutform »

Hey all, as mentioned this is off topic from crossbows. This is for you compound shooters.

Yesterday I started and finished a little project building a homemade hooter shooter. Last year I picked up a Ryobi miter saw stand on sale at home depot for a song. Picked up a 1200lbs boat winch with the 2" webbing from princess auto along with some 3/8" braided clear tuning (about 6-7" to fit the 3/8"×2"×4 1/2" u-bolt I picked up a Canadian tire). I used a small piece of a kids swimming 'noodle' I had left over from the dollar store and of course duck tape to put it in place. I also picked up three 3/4" bolts, nuts, and six fender washers and lock washers. (The lag bolts that come with the miter saw stand are too long). I used an old release I already had so that cost me nothing.
I read about this a few years ago and had to figure out how to put everything together. Now that I've done it, I can say this is easy peasy. It works like a charm. It's great as a draw board, checking cam sync/timing, rest timing (for drop aways), bow tune, arrow tune, bad arrows....and the winch can be removed and attached in seconds and the stand legs fold away underneath the stand. This whole thing can be built for probably around $120-200 depending on the sales you can find. Perhaps Boo can post a couple pics of it if he's inclined and has time.
I wasn't going to even post about this but it's so easy and cost effective compared to the $1200 price tag on the actual units, I thought some vertical shooters may be interested. If anyone is interested message me and I can talk you through this in about five minutes. It's probably a 20-30 minute project.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
ehntr

Re: O/T - HOMEMADE SHOOTING MACHINE

Post by ehntr »

Cool Paul. I probably have the parts in my garage incl the mitre saw stand and the winch :D

Boo is your photographer of record? How about turning on your phone, select the camera app and then press until you hear a crick :lol: .
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

ehntr wrote:Cool Paul. I probably have the parts in my garage incl the mitre saw stand and the winch :D

Boo is your photographer of record? How about turning on your phone, select the camera app and then press until you hear a crick :lol: .
:roll: ....all you flatlandeds are comedians apparently because you sound just like my Alberta buddies. :lol: I've got the pics which I can email but haven't posted from my phone. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll be happy to share the info.

Paul
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: : :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You won't be able to insult me like that for much longer. Moving to Crowsnest pass this summer..............as quick as I can get a house built there. In the mountains AND on the RIGHT side of the continental divide. I'll be talkin' down to you guys on the LEFT coast.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

You're moving to some game rich country! :mrgreen: Good luck with the move. Still,some of my fondest hunting memories are of bowhunting elk and mulies in southern Alberta in the Beaver Creek country of the Porcupine Hills. :D .....except for all those dang ranchers and cowboys I hunt with! :lol:

....and to be honest,it didn't seem so flat trecking up and down those hills for hours chasing critters. :D
Boo

Post by Boo »

Some people just like stepping on rakes
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

Crowsnest.................Elk, Mulies, Whitetail, Sheep, Mtn goats, Turkey, Bear, Cougar..................Moose......not real abundant and Antelope takes a little drive but everything else is right there. Have to open your pics when I get home. I noticed there were 13MB's of pics attached to the email :!: :shock:
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

That is right on........I'll tackle that this spring for sure. Thanks for sharing guys.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

Now THAT's an industrial strength crankaroo :lol: :lol: Nice work Paul, man that looks great!
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Yep, what Keg said! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Nice looking rig.

I thought this was going to be about potato cannons.

This certainly has potential you just need to add a high torque battery operated motor (20 V lithium-ion Dewalt drill motor would probably work) complete with remote release (12 V solenoid would work for this). Couple everything with a dual axis tracking motor for the stand and bam you are there. Than via wireless link, a video feed and a cheap PLC you can fill your tag from bed. You would likely need to add a solar panel to keep all the batteries charged.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Species8472 wrote:Nice looking rig.

I thought this was going to be about potato cannons.

This certainly has potential you just need to add a high torque battery operated motor (20 V lithium-ion Dewalt drill motor would probably work) complete with remote release (12 V solenoid would work for this). Couple everything with a dual axis tracking motor for the stand and bam you are there. Than via wireless link, a video feed and a cheap PLC you can fill your tag from bed. You would likely need to add a solar panel to keep all the batteries charged.
Lol :lol:

Nice work, Paul. Beautiful bow too, I'd own that exact model if I still shot vertical bows. I like how the QAD rest is now integrated into the riser with that cut-out...must add a measure of stability and would certainly ensure a level rest, very cool.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

Nice machine Paul. But I can just hear what my blond daughter in law would say about it....Helllo...how you gonna git that thang up in a tree with you?
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes