Excal twilight delux scope

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Sloppy Does

Excal twilight delux scope

Post by Sloppy Does »

Any one got any opinions on this scope. Especially low light capabilities.
Axe 340
308 SHORT
ZEISS XB 75
racking up points

Re: Excal twilight delux scope

Post by racking up points »

Sloppy Does wrote:Any one got any opinions on this scope. Especially low light capabilities.
I don't own one but I've used a few belonging to friends. It is bulky and the optical quality leaves some to be desired. I can't comment on its low light capabilities, but I'm guessing it'd be OK. IMHO, pinch your pennies and buy something of higher quality if low light gathering ability is important to you.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Excal is a crossbow company not an optics company. Their optics are adequate for hunting but they are overpriced if purchased as stand alone aftermarket items. There are far better choices on the market (my opinion) for aftermarket upgrades.

Hawke XB30 SR is an illuminated scope in the same price range and is a far better scope in every way.

For twice the price you could move up to a Vortex Viper XBR illuminated and if you want go all out for 3-4x the price you would be into a Zeiss Duralyt. These are noticeable upgrades from the Hawke and make the Twilight look like junk.

On the non-illuminated side you could go Leupold crossbones for about the same money and have far better glass than what is on the Twilight.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
bubba

Post by bubba »

I concur. Excalibur is a bow maker not a scope maker. Haven't seen any of there scopes I like as for clarity goes , but they still have there followers.. I say look else where...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

I have one, and I think it's awesome. Have had numerous Vari/Shadowzones as well, and the Twilight is much better at dusk. I personally don't understand how everyone compares these scopes to scopes where clarity is "everything" such as long range rifles..

I could do the same with an XB30 against a Bushnell Elite 4200..
Nobody needs or could care about that clarity <100yds..BUT I should can gain plenty from having a crossbow scope with a short range parallax ajustment..

All you guys who need to count hairs on deer at 100 yds with your Leupolds etc, are welcome to explain to me your logic in wasting that kind of money as the longest I've taken a deer is 63 yds(xbow) and that was with a Varizone...which isn't nearly as bright/clear as Twilight..Then again I've taken a buck with a compound@42# @ 68 without a scope/magnification and through a peep..and it was getting pretty dark. So..
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

tomcat wrote:I have one, and I think it's awesome. Have had numerous Vari/Shadowzones as well, and the Twilight is much better at dusk. I personally don't understand how everyone compares these scopes to scopes where clarity is "everything" such as long range rifles..

I could do the same with an XB30 against a Bushnell Elite 4200..
Nobody needs or could care about that clarity <100yds..BUT I should can gain plenty from having a crossbow scope with a short range parallax ajustment..

All you guys who need to count hairs on deer at 100 yds with your Leupolds etc, are welcome to explain to me your logic in wasting that kind of money as the longest I've taken a deer is 63 yds(xbow) and that was with a Varizone...which isn't nearly as bright/clear as Twilight..Then again I've taken a buck with a compound@42# @ 68 without a scope/magnification and through a peep..and it was getting pretty dark. So..
Parallax setting on any scope when shooting at targets less than 100 yards away is essentially irrelevant as the error induced will never be more than about 1/4 inch in the worst case scenario.

Clarity and light transmission are also largely irrelevant for 85% of the day. For the other 15% of the day they are relevant. I have owned varizones, shadow zones, twilights, vortex, bushnell, swarovski and the list goes on. It all comes down to how much you are willing to pay to guarantee that you can hunt to the end of legal light. It's a personal choice and there is no right or wrong. But to think that the Twilight can compare at the ends of spectrum is just plain wrong.

With a Swarovski I can hunt until the end of legal from inside a blind that is under heavy cover (shade) during the pouring rain with light fog (have actually done so). With the best optics Excal makes (Twilight) I would have been done 30-40 minutes earlier.

If all you are doing is hunting normal hours (1/2 hour before, to 1/2 hour after sunrise/sunset) in normal weather than like I said it is adequate. If you want to hunt at night for something like hogs or in heavy cover (shade) in the rain/fog at the end of legal than the Twilight cannot come close to the Vortex XBR or Zeiss Duralyt.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

Honestly, I like both my Twighlight DLX and my Tact-Zone. As for low light, they work well enough for me, but I do not shoot anything I can't see clearly with the naked eye, no matter if my scope brings their silhouette in view, I need more than a silhouette.

Why I like the lighted reticle, is not for shooting in the dark, but rather when I am in a hollow and can still see the animal clearly but my crosshire is dim, I can barely light it enough to see my hash marks for yardage etc. That is what I like, otherwise I use a flashlight if it were for dark only, or night vision scope. LOL

I will admit I almost sold the new DLX and bought another Tact-Zone though as I like it's size.
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
mbc4

Post by mbc4 »

have no problem with the shadowzone , one can hunt well past legal hours if one was inclined to with more than enough clarity. just my two cents :wink:
better an overkill than an underkill
vortex,vixenmaster string
2219s, abc steel sonics
Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

I know nothing of hunting at night and for those with a need to justify that clarity vs dollar it makes sense, however for the other 95% of crossbow users, the Twilight and Shadowzone scopes provide the needed clarity to shoot deer in that 15% of legal last light without any question.

Guys with compounds and peeps take deer in the last minute ALL the time..

If you can't see it with your naked eye, you probably can't shoot it with a scope.

Proper stand setup maximizes your hunting times more than the negligible scope clarity differences inside 40-50 yds.
In fact....IF you want to hunt later...climb down from your stand just before dusk and sit against the tree itself. You would be amazed at how much longer you can hunt.

Too many guys get hung up on "treestands" and for those bucks that come through at the last minute, sitting on the ground downwind along an expected travel route will let you shoot him versus sitting in that treestand wishing you had spent more money on a scope with "better" clarity:)
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I believe it comes down to expectations. I've always said buy the best quality optics you can afford, regardless of rifle or crossbow. I had a taczone and went to a Luepold VX-R. I also had a nib DLX that I put on my Exomax and can tell you it falls way short of the loopy. If I could afford a top of the line swaravsky or Zeiss I'd have that but my Leupold will have to do and I love it. Remember, you can put open sightson your bow and kill deer jjust fine but even the Excalibur scopes look pretty good compared to that. It's all a matter of perception and expectations. Jmo.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
TPM

Post by TPM »

I used a DLX for a couple of years and I will say it's by far the best of all the Excal scope offerings. Yes there are a lot better scopes out there but I never felt handicapped with the DLX. Light gathering was plenty adequate in most conditions until the end of legal. I do understand that higher end scopes do offer superior optics no matter how you measure it but for me it's a "nice to have" not a "must have".
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger