Which Excalibur for me?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

J-kid

Which Excalibur for me?

Post by J-kid »

I was about to hit "buy" for a Micro and had second thoughts. I know very little about crossbows - is this the best crossbow for ME? I like longbows and recurves (never had a bow with wheels which is why I'm drawn to Excalibur). I like bolt action rifles, pump action shotguns and revolvers. I like function over form.

I have 5 acres of woods close by with plenty of deer and turkey, however, I don't hunt with guns because of some neighbors I don't want to disturb. A crossbow will increase my odds when I just want to put deer in the freezer and work much better out of a turkey blind then my longbow.

Which bow would you recommend for me and why? I want to be ready for turkey this spring.
xcaliber

Re: Which Excalibur for me?

Post by xcaliber »

Here is the list of questions most here will ask.
How old are you
How good is your physical shape
Do you want to hunt in tree stands, in thick cover, or field edges
Do you intend to hunt with kids, grand kids, or wife

The Micro is my favorite in the tree stand, but my Matrix 355, which is a bit more powerful is my favorite range bow, and is a bit easier to cock. It is not bad in the stand either, but in a ground blind, especially with two hunters, the Micro is the most nimble.
All Excalibur crossbows have enough juice to kill deer, bear, etc. The longest range bow for flat out speed, and flatest trajectory is the 405. You can get a crank, and the power required to cock them is a non equation, but adds cost. The newer models out like the grizzly, might be a great entry price bow.
Now, if you were not undecided, the 330 Matrix is sweet shooter too from what others here say.

Good luck, can't go wrong with any one of them. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
J-kid

Post by J-kid »

55 years old, 6 foot/200 pounds. No medical issues. In better shape than most my age. Hunt from treestand and ground blind. Could have someone with me in the blind (wife or daughter). I'm not obsessed with speed if it negatively effects stability or shooting characteristics.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Micro, hands down. :wink:
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

I love my micro...
it was my first crossbow...there will be others someday I am sure.
check out the ugly old dude in this youtube review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHtL24fsvXI

if you add a Caldwell fieldpod you will be getting easy one inch groups at 30 yds in just days...
http://www.amazon.com/Caldwell-488000-D ... B005CF0MVK

norm
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

a 380 or a micro.

405 would be overkill for what you want to do. The 380 is fast, the micro is compact and plenty quick.

any of the so called older bows would do a great job too and they can be had at a discount if your not hung up on size.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
J-kid

Post by J-kid »

coolhl wrote:I love my micro...
it was my first crossbow...there will be others someday I am sure.
check out the ugly old dude in this youtube review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHtL24fsvXI
I've watched your video numerous times before. Thanks for posting. It's the best one out there on the Micro! Looks like the Micro is probably the way to go for me too.
bubba

Post by bubba »

J-kid, I can relate to you being hesitant to push the order button, last year I had difficulty in picking my first bow, and I chose the Ibex, which is already nearly extinct, I'm happy with the performance of my bow, and was real successful with it this past hunting season, but if I had it all to do over again I would go with the matrix 380, the extra power, speed, flat shooting, it really leaves nothing left on the table. They are all great bows. Just think about touching all the bases.... Know what I mean? Good luck bud.....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

11 posts means you can get/send pm's, so I sent you one, lol..........
"Eze 18:21"
MprBlackout

Post by MprBlackout »

I picked the 380. Awsome xbow. 10# less pull, but 30fps faster for flatter
Shooting. I personally like TZ scope better than one with micro.
Not that much heavier either. I did install micro trigger.... nnnniiicceee
Now to pull trigger on buying some zombies.
Nothings safe from the sexxy exxy
380 BLACKOUT w/ T-zone 100
Tact handle, ACP trigger, Dr Stirrup w/ bumpers
335 Micro BLACKOUT & 355 Micro camo, both ACP triggers, T-zone 100'd, all w Lumi'd weight matched Zombies
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

Matrix 355 was my choice, I love it. Easy to load, very accurate and compact enough for a blind or tree stand, and pretty good price
XcaliburFX

Post by XcaliburFX »

Honestly, you can not go wrong with any of them. I have had 5 or so, lol ... Kind of sorta have 3 now, but one has been sold. So, I guess just two is all I own, those two are my personal favorites. The Matrix 355 and the Micro 335 Nightmare. Both are beasts, the Matrix 355 shoots pretty much the fps stated with the correct gr arrow and the Micro 335 shot out of the box 341 fps. So, take your pick :)

The short stroke makes the Micro not seem as hard to pull, just the last inch you feel it and by then the inertia of the pull just bangs you right past the last inch.

I hunted all last season with the Matrix 355, it was awesome in the stand ... no issues, was nice to have a more compact bow there, so I imagine the Micro will be a treat and a half in the stand.

Either of those two would be a perfect bow, to start with. JMHO
Assassin 360 Strata
BEA Zombie Slayer - BEA Executioner
Boo/VixenMaster/Xcaliber/NCHunterKW Strings
bobcattrapper

Post by bobcattrapper »

Don't forget the 330 matrix! I really like mine! :mrgreen:
J-kid

Post by J-kid »

Wow! It sounds like I can't go wrong with any Excalibur. That's comforting to know. I think the Micro will be more forgiving in a stand or blind so I'm leaning toward that one. I'm used to a 62" longbow so I'd probably be satisfied with any of them.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Well, if you don't mind a bit wider bow, the 355 is as sweet as can be, and plenty of zip. Mine is about 25% easier to cock, maybe more, and coming from the Mag Tip to the Matrix was a huge leap forward, and many a critter met it's end to the Mag Tip bows. :wink: That Grizzly model is gaining some fans too, and the price is a little easier on the checkbook. If you really want a deal, snatch up a used Matrix from the post.