set screws in the nocks?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

W.Miguire

set screws in the nocks?

Post by W.Miguire »

I read about some one putting set screws In the knocks to take up the weight of the lumenoks so you don't have to practice with them. thought it to be worth a try. so of I went to the local hardware store with my gram scale and my knocks . what the heck are you doing now Bill? the clerk ask. I don't know yet , show me your set screws . so I got out my scale and found a screw that fit in the knock end . yep this is the one 10/24just fit and did not changed the structure of the knock at all . took them home and installed them with a drop of glue . and it worked. don't know who posted it , but want to thank you for the idea. :D :D :D
W.M.
racking up points

Re: set screws in the nocks?

Post by racking up points »

W.Miguire wrote:I read about some one putting set screws In the knocks to take up the weight of the lumenoks so you don't have to practice with them. thought it to be worth a try. so of I went to the local hardware store with my gram scale and my knocks . what the heck are you doing now Bill? the clerk ask. I don't know yet , show me your set screws . so I got out my scale and found a screw that fit in the knock end . yep this is the one 10/24just fit and did not changed the structure of the knock at all . took them home and installed them with a drop of glue . and it worked. don't know who posted it , but want to thank you for the idea. :D :D :D
W.M.
Normous posted about this a while ago. It works great. A drop of glue, then thread that set screw in and voila...weight-matched for a lumenock.

On a side note, BassPro had a sale on the Lumenock batteries and I bought a lifetime supply. If anyone needs a pack, let me know.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Being the brain dead individual I am at the moment, could someone please post a few pics of the process and how everything looks etc.

Thanks in advance

George
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

no big deal. just screw a 1/2"- 10/32 set screw into the back end of a plastic nock. with a drop of glue. take your scale to the store to be sure. good luck.
W.M.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hey Bill. I think that was me as i recently posted that but as racking up points mentioned, that is Normous' idea as that's where I heard it. That Norman is certainly a wealth of knowledge and full of helpful tidbits of great information. I'm glad the screw in nock technique worked out for you. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Might have started by me trying to change the FOC. Didn't do much, same size groups at 50 yds but they hit lower on the target. A 1" threaded steel rod weighs 25 gr. I got them at Ace Hdwe. :mrgreen:

p.sp they sold me 6" long rods, I cut them to whatever length I needed and then cut a slot in the end for a screwdriver..........put loc-tite on them.
"Eze 18:21"
Hawkeyemd

Post by Hawkeyemd »

For Your Info.: Cam-X makes aluminum nocks that weigh the same as the Lumenocks weigh!! The ones I got are for .300 i.d. They have the threads just like Excal's. do, so you don't have to glue them in. This lets you use the same arrows that you hunt with!! Good Idea!! Regards, Hawkeyemd
Normous

Post by Normous »

Here is a Lumenok on the left, middle photo- is a Black Eagle plastic rear nock with a 8/32" 20 grain aluminum insert glued in and right is a 20 grain aluminum insert.
I have since switched to a 8/32" 20 grain steel insert that does not protrude the BE plastic nock.

EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I tried the 8/32 and was a little sloppy for me so I went with 10 /24 the tread was courser and grabbed the side of the nock . did not need any glue but used it for safety . do whatever works for you.
thanks Norm for the tip it what makes this place so special :)
W.M.
Normous

Post by Normous »

W.Miguire wrote:I tried the 8/32 and was a little sloppy for me so I went with 10 /24 the tread was courser and grabbed the side of the nock . did not need any glue but used it for safety . do whatever works for you.
W.M.
The 10/24 is a good idea as well. Thanks.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
john g

Post by john g »

I'd like to add my thanks here also, to Anthony for posting the "Micro Arrow Soup" post and Racking up Points for his answer to that post. That's where this discussion started for me. Racking Up's description of his arrow setup "turned the light on" for me. I knew I had to balance the nock to compensate for the lighted nock. I'm new to this crossbow world and appreciate the help you folks give me.

Garry
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Normous wrote:
W.Miguire wrote:I tried the 8/32 and was a little sloppy for me so I went with 10 /24 the tread was courser and grabbed the side of the nock . did not need any glue but used it for safety . do whatever works for you.
W.M.
Norm, that's excellent! Simplicity and genius. I'll be doing a changeover to all my plastic nocks and going to 125 grain points to give my arrows the same balance but 45 grains more hitting power total weight. Thanks.
Last edited by paulaboutform on Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

paulaboutform wrote:
Normous wrote:
W.M.
Norm, that's excellent! Simplicity and genius. I'll be doing a changeover to all my plastic nocks and going to 125 grain points to give my arrows the same balance but 40 grains more hitting power total weight. Thanks.
Sorry to be OT...but Paul, when you make a change like this in your arrow setup, do you need to take off your old HHA tape and make another?
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

We need a sticky with just great ideas like this one.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Hey Derrick, I'm making some 'changes' :wink: to my setup so I'll have to see what my speed is with the extra 45gr.. I'm guessing it will be a tape change.