Why Exomax?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shakky

Why Exomax?

Post by Shakky »

I'm interested to know why you purchased your Exomax. As most of you know I shoot a Vixen so we are at either end of the Excalibur line. Did you choose it because you want more power to hunt moose etc. Or because you wanted to increase your range on deer size game? What limit have you set for the Exomax? Is this a 40 - 50 yard bow? I'm considering getting an Exomax but only if it will increase my range on deer sized game. For 10 yards I think it may be worth it.
striper

Post by striper »

Shakky: I think there are at least 2 reasons people want the Exomax. Number 1- They anticipate going after heavy, big boned game. Number 2- It is the hottest thing around. I haven't considered buying one because with my messed up arm it is hard enough to cock the Exocet. It is like the Corvette. I always wanted one, but it wasn't practical since i had a family. Has anyone got another reason? Striper
May your days be long and your hunts many. Pray that the God of the Bible will protect you as you go.
Philip W.

Post by Philip W. »

I bought one because it is the latest and greatest...

Also, with all the concerns about string jump and such, I figured getting one that will fling it out there at 350 FPS will help that...

I still won't shoot a deer beyond 40 yards...But I do feel more comfortable with the 30-40 yard shot now (expecially on a calm deer)...
Gary in Ohio

Post by Gary in Ohio »

To quote Tom Cruise: "I feel the need. The need for speed."

That's my guess anyway. I'm still using a Horton so I can't speak first hand.

If (or better yet when) I get an Excalibur I'll most likely go for the Exomag. 200 pounds is the max weight allowed for a crossbow in the buckeye state. So that will give me the most speed.
Partikle

ExoMax

Post by Partikle »

How I love thee Exomax, let me count the ways:

I went for the Max for a few reasons:

Less String Jump with a bolt flying that fast.
I can use it for Moose and it will do a better job then any other model, especially if I hit a couple of big ribs.
The bolt drops less on longer shots.
Nicer Camo Finish.
The Corvette thing that Striped talked about. (you get to tease your buddies and tell them "yours is a good bow... for you") ;-)

I target shot with my buddy and his Exocet, we notice on 40 yard shots that my max has a flatter bolt flight. On the downside, I need a string cocker or heavy gloves ever time to cock mine, I can load his over and over again with my bare hands.

Nick
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

IMHO - It has always been my opinion to shoot and hunt with the biggest bow you can handle and shoot accurately..

There is no such thing as "overkill"...
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

I didn't want one, I didn't ask for one....I don't even think I hinted about one. I certainly didn't need one.

But on my birthday one just showed up....and who am I to say "no" to a gift like that? :wink:

(ok so now I want it but I sure don't need it)
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

Red Label wrote:I didn't want one, I didn't ask for one....I don't even think I hinted about one. I certainly didn't need one.

But on my birthday one just showed up....and who am I to say "no" to a gift like that? :wink:

(ok so now I want it but I sure don't need it)

Would your family adopt me?? :wink:
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
Red Label

Post by Red Label »

Woody,

Once my oldest boy moves out we should be able to feed you. Come on up, bring your climber and bow, it'll be a blast!

PS - don't bring your cats unless they like big hairy dogs..... :wink:

Mikey Vee
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Striper- funny thing you should mention a corvette because I have one and I'm selling it because I don't drive it much. I have a two and a half year old daughter and a son being born of Aug. 23. so I don't think I will be driving it much in the future. So I see your point but it was fun while it lasted. I will be buying another one is the future is say around 15 years or so. I own the 25 year anniversay addition now I think I will buy the 50th year anniversary next time. Everyone should own a corvette at least once it there life. :D
Stalker

Post by Stalker »

Shakky,

speed and kinetic energy are the 2 of the 3 things that make archery equipement work.... the
third and most important is shot placement. All of the excalibur bows will put the arrow where it needs to be as long as the shooter does their job. A lot of people forget that a lighter arrow loses energy faster than a heavy arrow so if you compare a vixen at 295 ft/sec with a light arrow (20 in. laser II + 100gr point) vs an Exomag at 300 ft/sec (22 in. 2219 + 125gr point)....... (these are just estimates of what the speeds would be with those setups).... even thougn they start out at about the same speed the Exomag will have more punch when it reaches the target...... (I would have tried to use the Exomax in the example but I couldn't think of a point/arrow combination to slow it down enough)........ this link gives great information on arrow speed and drop etc...........

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/arrowselect.html
AIROHS

Post by AIROHS »

Here are my reasons for getting the"MAX". I bowhunted for a long time with compound bows and would always upgrade when a faster smoother bow came out after my accident i had to turn to a crossbow. After doing some shopping i found that the "MAX" was "the" bow for me. 1) SPEED, when i'm archery hunting the faster the arrow the better, makes for little errors in distance judging no big deal.POWER i shoot 2216's at "WELL"over 300 fps if my aim is off and i hit shoulder blade or spine not a biggy i know my arrow will keep on truckin.
EXOMAXXED and LOVING it
claude

Post by claude »

[quote="Shakky"]Striper- funny thing you should mention a corvette because I have one and I'm selling it
you'll be sorry was in the same boat 16yrs ago dumbest thing i ever did
was selling my vette
Deadeye

Post by Deadeye »

tom cruise is a bad dude, and so is my exomag

deadeye

oh and you guys that didn't wanna buy it when it was for sale missed out! it ain't for sale anymore, f-it! I sold something else and kept the Mag!

Rock on for sept 25th,it's deer season!
Blood make's the grass grow, Owh-ay!
Shakky

Post by Shakky »

Thanks for the responce guys. Anyone feel comfortable shooting live game out to say 40- 50 yards with their Exomax? Whats your limit?