Turkeys - Passthroughs good or bad?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vpsaline

Turkeys - Passthroughs good or bad?

Post by vpsaline »

Turkeys - Passthroughs good or bad? I noticed some use broadheads designed NOT to overpenetrade like the Blunted NAP broadhead and some people even have adders on the base of their broadheads :?: :?: :?:

Micro_335 - Nikon Bolt XR - 15.5'' Zombies - Killzone 100GR
Matrix G340 - Nikon Bolt XR - Muzzy 100GR
ehntr

Re: Turkeys - Passthroughs good or bad?

Post by ehntr »

This is just me thinking (caution :D ). A large dia mech head that passed through would be more effective than one that did not pass through in my mind. A fixed blade bh of relatively smaller dia may(?) be more effective if it did not pass through.......I am really struggling to come up with a reason why passing through is not a good thing? Never shot a turkey with a broadhead so I have no experience shoot a 20#+ bird. I hope to rectify that next year though :mrgreen: Shot plenty of partridge with all different kinds of tips. I didn't like shooting them with fixed heads cause the arrow passes through and they fly away just like they didn't know they were dead. Used judo points on them and they still passed through except they made an ugly hold through the breast, dragging feathers through it (but they don't fly away). I know that is no comparison to a turkey......just my meandering off track thought process :mrgreen: My fav tip for partridge is a blunt point rubber point........quarter sized at the blunt end.....................the hammer :D
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
Tom

Post by Tom »

ehntr wrote:This is just me thinking (caution :D ). A large dia mech head that passed through would be more effective than one that did not pass through in my mind. A fixed blade bh of relatively smaller dia may(?) be more effective if it did not pass through.......I am really struggling to come up with a reason why passing through is not a good thing?.............. :D
To have the head make a complete pass through is a good thing. To have the arrow make a complete pass through is not. I have found that the Zwicky Scropios (an arrow arrestor which slides on the shaft of the arrow) works best.

A complete pass through (arrow) only leaves cutting damage and very little KE is displaced onto the turkey. If the shot placement is NOT perfect, the turkey can still easily run or fly before it dies.

By using an arrow arrestor, the full KE of the arrow is displaced into the turkey. With the arrow still in the bird, it will have difficulty running or flying as well.

My suggestion is to use ANY HEAD which you are comfortable and confident with, as well with an arrow arrestor (I prefer the Scropios).

Hope this helps.

Tom

Sorry I eddited my post as I named the arrestor incorectly. It was a Zwickey Scorpio not a NAP.
Last edited by Tom on Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
vpsaline

Post by vpsaline »

That makes a lot of sense. I think I'm going to pick up some Adders and try them on my CX Torrid SS 100GR heads for turkeys. The heads come with a 15GR collar on the back which I can remove and replace with the 25GR adders for very little weight difference in the end. Some other forum has a picture of the end results...
You can clearly see the removable metal collar on the back in this picture.

It's almost like if it was designed to be used this way :lol:
Micro_335 - Nikon Bolt XR - 15.5'' Zombies - Killzone 100GR
Matrix G340 - Nikon Bolt XR - Muzzy 100GR
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I have shot turkeys with the 170 FOC by NAP the arrow passed thru and the bird went 20 ft. also shot turkeys with fixed blade and went 20 ft. also head shots with fixed blades and it also worked ok . so it is up to you what to use . if they work good for deer it will work for the thunder chicken. yes pass thru is a good thing ,just my thought.
W.M.
Tom

Post by Tom »

As for extra weight, the scorpio's add very little, the piont of impact did not change for me or my dad.

As for these fixed arrestors, I feel they are better then nothing, but they will either limit the head penitration or cause damage to the meat of the turkey.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

VPSALINE, I've whacked 6 or 7 birds with my Equinox. My current set-up is a fixed Muzzy MX-3 with a grasshopper attachment. The grasshopper doesn't slide down the shaft on impact. It will pass thru with the head and bolt. Grasshopper will keep your bolt from getting lost in the grass & dirt. Shot placement is CRITICAL with any type of head. Search the web for proper shot placement if you have any doubts. Best of luck.

Dennis
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
wabi

Post by wabi »

I tried some of the "adders" you pictured years ago, but they were not sold as "arrestors", but rather a "small game point" to be used with a field point or blunt.
Not all that effective IMO.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/Tiger+Cla ... eitem.html
wabi
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I was using fixed blades lost a bird a couple of falls ago went to mechanicals 2''Rages and have not lost any since but shot placement is everything IMO.

I have heard that there is a shock value kinetic energy in the opening of the mechanical on the thunder chicken!!
The best things in life are not things!!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Tom wrote:As for extra weight, the scorpio's add very little, the piont of impact did not change for me or my dad.

As for these fixed arrestors, I feel they are better then nothing, but they will either limit the head penitration or cause damage to the meat of the turkey.

Tom
The Zwickey Grapplers come in different sizes, you shoot a 22/64's carbon, but try a 21/64's one.......I checked my xbow [Ecet] on a rooster whose time was up, arrow stayed in, worked great at 20 yds...... :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
Horizontal Hunter

Post by Horizontal Hunter »

I am not a big turkey hunter and have only shot one with my Exocet was while I was deer hunting.

So FWIW: The Broadhead I used was a 125g NAP Spitfire. I waited on the shot until the tom was going away from me and I aimed for the spine. The arrow didn't pass thru but took out the spine. The turkey was DRT.

I only go a few times a year and when I go I use a shotgun. I would rather chase lakers than turkeys.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire