Opinions on which Matrix for me

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: Opinions on which Matrix for me

Post by nchunterkw »

If you want to hunt field edges and shoot 50 yds, then I think the 405 is all you. Everything else will have more "rainbow" than it will, so in my mind it's a done deal. Personally, I'd buy the package deal and then put the brand new scope on the Trading Post here if you don't like it and get what you want. Or if you have the funds, keep it as a backup and buy what you want. Arrow-wise, you will need more than what it is the package anyway and the Diablos are not bad, and certainly accurate enough for hunting. Several guys (Danny Miller, Wyverns, Main ST) will usually work with you packages as well.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

Yeah really been looking at Wyverns deal. A lot of extras with his big package, but don't know if I would rather piece it together. Choice in Hawk scope, trigger tech trigger, case, string, 3 broadheads, 12 BEE's, sling, stringer, and lubes for $479 +/- for upgrades. But I already have a few rifle scopes that I could use, broadheads, and lubes. Plus from what I read, some triggers are a-ok from the start. So it may be worth the gamble to go bare to start with and piece it together. I guess the consensus is to go with the 380 or 405 so I will be on the lookout for best price of those. I suppose the stock package is plenty good enough if you are not too picky, right, except for better arrows as stated?

Jay
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

deadeer wrote:Yeah really been looking at Wyverns deal. A lot of extras with his big package, but don't know if I would rather piece it together. Choice in Hawk scope, trigger tech trigger, case, string, 3 broadheads, 12 BEE's, sling, stringer, and lubes for $479 +/- for upgrades. But I already have a few rifle scopes that I could use, broadheads, and lubes. Plus from what I read, some triggers are a-ok from the start. So it may be worth the gamble to go bare to start with and piece it together. I guess the consensus is to go with the 380 or 405 so I will be on the lookout for best price of those. I suppose the stock package is plenty good enough if you are not too picky, right, except for better arrows as stated?

Jay

Jay, ask yourself on a scale of one to ten how much testosterone is in your system...sounds like you will need the 405 which has the better trigger anyhow. Hell, I am 61 and I want a 405!
Still, no matter what, you will never regret a trigger tech trigger.
Norm
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

Testosterone? :mrgreen: I just want to shoot deer and turkeys to feed my family. I work hard, we live simple, I don't ask for much. Hunt, fish, garden, firewood, small farm house, used vehicles, pretty much sums it up to keep cost of living down. Why not get what you want if you earn it? I have settled for less on a lot of things in my life. Just looking for a one time buy that will last a while and full fill my goals on the first try without re-doing things. :wink:

Thanks, Jay.
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Bare bow 405, and a dozen of spine tuned Black Eagle Zombie arrows with brass inserts. You already have the rest. Put it together and start shooting, you can always make adjustments as you go. Save the lube for the arrows.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
bubba

Post by bubba »

deadeer wrote:Testosterone? :mrgreen: I just want to shoot deer and turkeys to feed my family. I work hard, we live simple, I don't ask for much. Hunt, fish, garden, firewood, small farm house, used vehicles, pretty much sums it up to keep cost of living down. Why not get what you want if you earn it? I have settled for less on a lot of things in my life. Just looking for a one time buy that will last a while and full fill my goals on the first try without re-doing things. :wink:

Thanks, Jay.
Hey Bud, i can relate to all that you are saying, on getting it right the first time not wasting money, to do over... The 380 or the 405 is all you will ever need.. David at wyverns will set you up right, in fact that is were i plan on getting my 380 from... 380 bare bones for 860.00 tipped with either a Nikon Bolt or a hawke XB-1 or XB-30 for a little over 1000.00 like said also on e-bay there is a couple bare bones 405 for around the same price 850.00 or so, either bow will harvest anything and every thing...With a life time warranty, and the best customer service period. My two nickels...........bubba.....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

I would strongly recommend the 405, even if its only deer and turkeys you shoot. It's unbelievabley flat shooting and very fast. Which means even if you make a bad shot it still has the power to shoot through bone with almost any broadhead you choose. Also a 50 to 60 yard shot can be taken with confidence ,good luck
Michiganhunter

Post by Michiganhunter »

I went through the same thing you are going through now..405 or 380..Went with the 380 and love it. It really is over kill on just about anything in north America anyway. However I tried drawing the 405 and it is really not much more to draw. I am 63, 6'2" 210 lbs and can draw either bow for as many shots as I want to take there just is not much difference between the two in terms of draw resistance in my opinion. The 380 will drive tacks out to 50 yds for me and I feel even farther if I really settled in and set up for it. While I love my 380 and it has plenty of power for me if you are wavering that much on the 405 then by all means get the 405. You will always wonder what if afterwards. I went with the bare bow from Wyvern and added the Trigger Tech 2.5 and a Hawke scope,very happy with my choice. Call Danny as well and give him a chance to sell you a bow he is a top notch guy who will take care of you for the long term. Good luck.
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
DES

Post by DES »

Another vote for the 405, sounds like what you need especially since draw weight isn't an issue.
Excal 350 SE
Stryker LS 390
Scorpyd Vent 150
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

Draw weight is NO issue. 40yo 6'3" 300lb, mechanic, firewood toter, at home weight lifter, no problem, strong as Kong! Ha.

Jay
bubba

Post by bubba »

Strong as Kong....Smile, That's what our simi world famous honorable forum member, Vixenmaster named his Mega 405.... And if you listen to him write about Kong... I think that will probably hit the nail in the coffin, and seal the deal on a 405!! Yeaaa buddy.........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Given what you have said...here are a few more thoughts

380/405? - 405, flatter shooter for 50yd shots. The only CON I can think of is that it might be a little tougher on a serving but I have not seen that being reported on here so it's a small con, if any

Rifle Scope - will certainly work, but it won't be made for a crossbow so you will be doing the hold over deal at different ranges. A crossbow scope will have multiple reticles setup for 10 yd increments that you can dial in perfectly. Then all you need to do is range the deer and take aim with the appropriate reticle.

Trigger - I put a TT in my Vortex and it was a big improvement. But had I had my trigger worked over by Boo or Danny it would have still been an improvement but not as much. I like my stock Micro trigger just fine, and it will improve some as I shoot more. I'd wait on this and see how you like the stock trigger first.

Arrows, BHs etc. You probably have stuff that will work just fine. At 405fps you will need good arrows to shoot fixed blades, but mechs should be fine if you choose that route.

I'd want the quiver and quiver bracket, but I never use a sling.

You absolutely NEED the stringing aid

I don't use lube. Just Dalton's string wax

Case is nice if you travel or for storage. I have one for my Vortex since I go out West, but I don't use one travelling locally to hunt. My bow just sits in the back truck seat.

Strings you will need over time anyway. The stock string is just fine to start. A backup is a good thing though.

So here's my list
405 w/ a scope, quiver and quiver bracket
Rope Cocker (should be included)
Stringing aid
Backup String
6 -BEA Zombie Slayers w/ brass inserts

Hope that helps.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
SEW

Post by SEW »

I have both 380 & 405. If I only had one, it'd be the 380. If I could have two, obviously, what I did. I hunt more with the 405. I like to shoot, thus the 380 is my major tgt and back up hunting bow. If I only hunted, 405, but I'd want a backup.
Bigship

Post by Bigship »

Strong as Kong, (I like that). I just talked to Dave at Wyverns and Danny. Both had good deals on 380 and 405, just different stuff. Dave offered to throw in a case with the extras he was already providing. Danny's bare bow was a bit cheaper.They are both great guys to deal with. I want to weigh in on the scope. Either bow is fast enough to employ the HHA Optimizer with your rifle scopes. I use a Hawke XB30 Pro for my Velocity 165 because it can handle the speed, and you can see to shoot easily out to 70 yards with +- 2 inches vertical and +-1 inch horizontal accuracy (and that variance is not the scope of course but my arrows and me). It is clear out to the edges with a better FOV than the XB-1. I also use the EOtech 512 Xbow holographic sight. Its great for easy target acquisition, but past 30 yards I have to use my Vortex 3x magnifier. The whole rig is a bit pricey ($449 + $199) but shooting with holographics is a lot of fun. The hold overs and hold between dots can be confusing until you shoot enough arrows to know where to position the dots. You will enjoy either sighting system, and the XB30 pro will be cheaper. I'm waiting on my used Excel Matrix 380 to be delivered Monday :D Enjoy your new bow!
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

Great opinions fellas. I got derailed with pneumonia for a few weeks now and missed all turkey season and desire to do anything. Starting to come around finally and feel a lot better. Need to build up a few bucks lost for time off before I can get back in the game. Always something!

Jay