Opinions on which Matrix for me

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

deadeer

Opinions on which Matrix for me

Post by deadeer »

I'll preface this with, I have bowhunted for 20+ yrs. Mainly hunt field edges and a longer shot like 40-50yds is common. Not a competion or target shooter, just deer and turkeys, and a few shots throughout the year. I am big and strong so draw weight means nothing. Went to crossbow 2 yrs ago with full inclusion in Indiana. I have a TP Titan Extreme, rated at 333fps that I got a "can't pass up" deal on. I am happy with it except for the weight and rainbow trajectory at 30 yds and beyond. I have shot an Equinox and loved it's speed and accuracy, even with the 2219 I used. I have handled a few Matrix but haven't got to pull the trigger on one. I am sure it is same or better, not a concern. I do love the balance, weight, and overall feel of it the Matrix. OK, so I found a good deal on a one yr old 330 with extras. Hawk scope and rings, Reds, cheekpiece, JBK string, low shot count, $800. Very good deal, but I thought it said 380 and I was all over it. Then seen it was 330 and I am afraid I wouldn't be gaining any performance. Now I found a 355 at Dunham's for $900 and have a 20% coupon, but it has all standard accessories. Would I see enough difference between the two and what I currently have? Or would I be better off ponying up for a 380 or 405 and have no doubts?

Thanks, Jay
SEW

Re: Opinions on which Matrix for me

Post by SEW »

I have both a 380 and 405. Equally accurate, M405 is 30'/sec faster. The 405 is my primary hunting bow. 40-50 yrs is not long range, IMO .
bubba

Post by bubba »

My opinion, I'm fairly new to the Excalibur crossbow world, but I do have some hands on experience, I have the Ibex shooting advertised speed of 305 f.p.s. and was successful this past season, but after seeing first hand the speed and power of the matrix 380, at how flat the trajectory was out to 60 yards and better compared to my Ibex. For me was a game changer, I thought about the M 355, and compared it to the 380 and with all the extras the 380 comes with standard, that you have to purchase for the 355 made the choice of my next bow simple. The 380 is it. But you say you are big and strong and the weight of the bow is no obstacle, I would be all over the matrix 405 the beast the Kong of crossbows nooo doubt.. Then like you say and I agree with completely, there wont be any thing left on the table all the bases are covered. And right now there are bare bows on flea bay going for 850.00 less that a matrix 380... my two nickles...... Oh by the way Welcome to the forum.. and good luck.....
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I have the 355 n 405 Kong :) The 405 is bad news, i jus took a break from shootin Kong. When i shoot the 355 i can watch my arrow hit the target. Its quick but you can see it. The 405 you don't see the arrow til after it hits, it flat out moves an arrow to the target. Example i have a 1x Hawke on Kong jus to see what its doin. My arrows went so deep at 20 yds i went to 25 yds. Weren't enuff shaft to get yer hand on. I had to use Millers arrow puller. I got it sighted in at 30 yds 1st xhair, used 2nd xhair at 40 yds n it hit 1 foot high. I would have to use the xhair leg ends. That will get bad confusin when tryin to shoot deer movin. So my friend SEW is sendin me a Tac to use. They way i can use diff xhairs n or chevrons at each 10 yds. Oh did i say 405's are very fast :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I have the M380 and love it. That being said my mind does wander to the 405. I understand they're all equally accurate so it really comes down to what you want. I agree with what Bubba already said about the 355 and the add ons that are stock on the 380 and 405. For your use I think those are the two front runners for you. The one add on I highly recommend for whichever bow you choose is the HHA Optimizer. This comes with tapes that get you out to 80yards. I've extended mine with my M380 out to 110yards and the 405 would be even further. I'm not sure what else to tell you. Seeing as you won't be shooting for fun and practice year round the 405 would be a deadly accurate, fast, flat killing machine....then again, so is the M380. Good luck and welcome.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

X2 on the 380 and 405. But...Have you cocked a 405? Last couple of inches is pretty tough. Its doable but pretty tough. It is not a bow that you would take out and shoot all day for fun.Its more of of a specialized hunting tool. There is the crank cocking device but some dont want to be bothered with that in the woods. Just throwing thoughts out.... My advise would be the fastest Excal that you can shoot and cock comfortably. Do you have a shop that has Excals that you could shoot? Do you live near someone that has a couple Excals for you to try? If you fill out your profile a little more to show where you live it is sometimes easier to help.
On cocking the bigger bows, there are a couple of tips that might help. Shorten the cord on the rope cocker a bit, so that you have to pick the string up to get it on the second hook. You wont be able to shorten it a ton, because you cant pick the string up that far on those bows.
Second, once you get the cocker on the string, make sure the hooks are against the rail and your foot is WELL into the stirrup .Then stand up. This will do most of the cocking. A little practice and I bet you can do it. I saw a young lady learn to cock a Micro( also have a pretty stout cocking effort) recently. All it took was a little technique and a LOT of determination.
Any Excal you pick will put a smile on your face you cant wipe off! Welcome to the forum.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have a 355, love it. Shot the 380, love it too, and you get all the goodies with the 380, that makes it a bargain for a bow you can shoot for extended outings on the range, go with the 380, you won't regret it.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Welcome, X2 on the 380. I bought the 355 and had all the bells and whistles and the price was about the same. so if you can handle the extra weight go with the 380. JMO. :)
W.M.
Pa.hunter

Post by Pa.hunter »

With what you say you want. Without a doubt you want the 405 and you will never look back :wink:

Charlie
Matrix 405 with Leupold VX-R FireDot duplex
Matrix 380 Xtra with Leupold VX-R FireDot duplex
Matrix 330 with Leupold Crossbones
TriggerTech Matrix hunter 2.5 in all 3
Black Eagles
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

I do have a shop about an hour away that I have dealt with before. He is a good guy to work with so I will go and see what he has in stock. Is the tac zone scope any good, or should I think about a bare bow and put on what I want. Not concerned about 100 yd shooting, but 60-70 seems quite doable from what I have read. Had an
HHA slider on my last vertical bow and loved it, so the Optimizer has crossed my mind. Definitely going to be an exciting time weighing out all the options before the big purchase. Thanks for all the comments fellas.

Jay
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

X2 what others have said. If most of your shots are going to be in the 40-50 yard range, I would say the M380 at a minimum. The faster your arrow gets to the target, the less time the target has to react ("jumping the string"), the flatter the trajectory will be, and it will retain more energy at longer range. Although I have not been presented with a 50-yard shot yet, I have complete confidence that my 380 could do the job. Obviously the 405 would outperform the 380, it comes down to what you and your budget can handle.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Love my 355!!! I can shoot it all day. Enough power and speed for me. And easier on the string. Good luck on what you pick and post pics later of it
:D
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Hey if'en an old cripped fart can rope cock a 405 most anyone can! :) Now 405's rip wid power, i have a 2 yr old yellowjacket bag target out at 50 yds. I shot it wid Kong yesterday one time. Arrow went thru the bag n ripped couple vanes off. Everyone should have the 405 to hunt wid. Now they should have anudder Excal jus to shoot fer enjoyment. You can't really own to many unless you have a bossy wife like mine :lol:
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
bubba

Post by bubba »

Deadeer, as for the Tac-Zone scope goes, now you are really getting into a personal area. My opinion I am not a big fan of any Excalibur scope, They are all made for them in china, with subpar glass and assembled there also, but there are some, well a lot of people and members here that like them and swear by them, and personally its really comes down to what you like, and can afford. Then there is lighted reticles vs map. Its a long list of of preferences, Here is a short list of some to look thru if you get the chance, and should be the final deciding factor when you buy your scope. Leupold Crossbones, Nikon Bolt Xr, Hawke XB-1 XB-30 Pro Sr All under 250.00 pretty much, and then there are the 300.00 up into 700.00 dollar and beyond. There is so much variation, Just look thru as many as possible and decide, hope I didn't confuse you to much smile................
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Rusty Gate

Post by Rusty Gate »

405.......if you don't you'll always wonder! :twisted:

RG