Feral Pig and Moose Sausage

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

IronNoggin

Feral Pig and Moose Sausage

Post by IronNoggin »

So after my Bow Hunting Partner collected a Feral Pig while hunting last fall here in BC, he and I chatted a fair bit about just what to do with the thing...

We decided that it would be a great idea to create a type of Polish Hunter's Sausage with a fair bit of it, and so began the search for just the right recipe. After much searching (including many sites in Polish) we decided to create one based on a Traditional "Mysliwska" (Hunter's Sausage) type, with of course a few alterations of our own.

Here's the main Guest of Honor on the hoof:

A short spell ago, my Buddy wandered over to chase steelhead with me, and drug along a hind and both front shoulders from this "guest".

I had a little moose grind left, a bit of domestic free-range pork, and some straight pork fat hanging about, so after some head-scratchin' this is the recipe we came up with:

Tad’s Mysliwska Sausage

Ingredients:

37 Pounds Wild Pig
13 Pounds Domestic Pig
13 Pounds Moose
15 Pounds Pork Fat

Total: 78 Pounds

20 Tblsp Salt
6 Tblsp Prague Cure # 1
12 Tblsp Ground Black Pepper
24 Tblsp Fresh Copped Garlic
12 Tblsp Garlic Powder
7 Tblsp Ground Juniper
28 Grams Marjoram
200 Grams Yellow Mustard Seed
100 Grams Coriander Seed

12 Cups Ice Water
375 ml (Mickey) London Dry Gin

The Feral Pig was ground Coarse (as called for in the traditional recipe), the moose and domestic pork ground medium, and the fat ground fine.

Here's a shot of the whole lot thawing out in a full-sized bathtub:

After the meat was prepped, we mixed up the cure, spices, water & gin and let sit until all was dissolved / well mixed. Then added that to the meat, sprinkled the two seed types on top and mixed Furiously until it was all well blended. Then into the Uber-Cold Fridge overnight for the various flavors to blend, and to get the meat Damn Cold for shooting the next day:

Continued...
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
IronNoggin

Re: Feral Pig and Moose Sausage

Post by IronNoggin »

As we prepared to shoot the sausage, I was once again Very Pleased we had collected that new Cabela's One Horse Commercial Grinder this year! We would have been there for DAYS with the old machine! :lol:

Deciding on 2 foot lengths, we then shot the product into standard hog casings, coiled and hung the sausages to dry a spell:

They were then held for ~ 8 hours at 60 degrees F and were nicely dry to the touch.

Pre-Heated the Smoker to 160 degrees F for an hour or so, then the lot was stuffed inside - arranged most carefully such that none touched each other or any of the walls:

Even in my Big Box, this run damn near had her at Capacity!

Initial Smoking (Hickory Chips btw) started at 140 degrees F for 2 hours. Then gradually over many more hours the internal temperature of the sausages was brought up to 154 degrees. The Entire Neighborhood simply knew what I was up to, as the Awesome Smell wafted Everywhere!!

That process was Greatly Facilitated by the use of an "Auber" Smoker Control Unit - kind of like a Thermostat on Steroids. It has 6 programmable settings, allowing you very precise control of the heating / smoking process.

Here's a shot of it in action. The left reading is the temperature inside the smoker, and the right, the internal temperature of the meat:

Getting Closer:

When the product's internal temperature reaches your desired level, the unit shuts it all down, sounds an Alarm to let you know, and flashes the fact it has done so:

We've done a PILE of smoking over the years, and now having one of these little units, I honestly do not know how we managed without one! It is a close to Plug 'n Play as it gets!!

Continued...
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
bubba

Post by bubba »

Sounds Delicious to me all ready...........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

At this point, a fair amount of moisture had been shed, and the links had shrunk a little as a consequence.

The Incredibly Fantastic Smell damn near knocked me over when I opened the two bay doors:

The sausages were Immediately dumped into a large "Coffin" (Fish Cooler) full of ice cold water to drop the heat and halt the cooking process - something that takes ~ 15 minutes or so:

Then onto the racks to "Bloom" overnight:

These did Bloom overnight, and are now into the drying process. Held at 65 degrees F, they can dry up to 6 or 7 days. The product was designed to NOT require refrigeration so as to facilitate riding in your pack for multi-day hunts:

Awoke early this morning to check on them and the whole house smells YUMMY!

Simply HAD to have a Taste! And the verdict is: Houston! We Have A WINNER!!! :wink:
In fact, I believe this is amongst the Very Best we have ever produced!!

This is the Largest batch (77 coils @ over 80 pounds!) we've ever run in all the years working with this stuff. And as much as we may have Whined while doing so, the end result is WELL Worth the effort put in!!

Have a pig hunt lined up in Arizona this summer, and certainly now HOPING to connect on a few! If I don't I then am going to be putting a LOT of Pressure on my Hunting Partner to dig a couple out of the woods here in BC. LOL!

If you happen to be reading this Buddy, I'll be shipping off your end tomorrow...

Cheers!
Nog
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Wow That's simply awesome!! That's a big batch of sausage for sure. Looks great!
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

That's makin' my mouth water, Nog! Looks and sounds delicious!

Edit... that's quite a setup you have there, color me green :lol:
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

I'm confused!! Didn't know that was a polish staple. :roll: :lol:
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
Cali74

Post by Cali74 »

Nice work.
There is a lot of hard work and love put into that product.
Congrats it looks delicious.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Looks great!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Ont_Excal wrote:
I'm confused!! Didn't know that was a polish staple. :roll: :lol:
Juniper is. The gin is the same flavor, so added as a little "Booster".

Thanks for all the kind comments Folks! Appreciated!

Been a long run of production this spring. Now pushing 450 Pounds of various sausage types through our mitts, and Thankfully nearing the end! One 50 Pound lot for me & my Partner, a smaller run of 35 or so pounds for our Rancher Buddy, and that's a Wrap! Right Looking Forward to The End!! :lol:

KegBelly: My set-up is the culmination of struggling for a few decades with less than ideal equipment. Started off rather simple and basic, but as our efforts increased, and the Liking of doing this grew, we've slowly but surely Upgraded in most departments now. Final piece of kit on the Wish List is a Large Capacity Meat Mixer. That will indeed be in hand this summer, and at that point, all of our equipment will be First Rate. Sure makes the "job" one hell of a lot easier!! :wink:

Cheers,
Nog
Ont_Excal

Post by Ont_Excal »

Just a little sarcasm about London gin in a Polish sausage.
I know about the juniper connection but never used it in sausages.
I pick my own seed cones as I have a 1/2 dozen or so trees on my property and use for flavouring.

Kiełbasa Żywiecka and Kiełbasa Cygańska are a couple of my favourites for at home.
Kabanosy - Hunter's Sausage is a stick sausage I like for portability and no refrigeration needed. Polish version of a pepperette.
I like to make some really hot sausages once in a while....love my heat.

Good luck and Smacznego!
"Death leaves a heartache no one can heal. Love leaves a memory no one can steal"
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Nog, you had me at feral pig...
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
taz3

Post by taz3 »

So this means you'll have some for Boofest right? :lol:
Phoenix Crossbow
Outdoors and Cars
I'd rather be hunting
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Nog, congrats on the great looking sausage. I hope I get to try some with you one day. Now then, onto the serious matter at hand.....WHERE THE HECK ARE YOU SHOOTING FERREL PIGS HERE IN BC??? I've heard of them up around Harrison and even up around Mission and Chilliwak but shrugged it off as nonsense. Dial me in buddy, I'd love to get in on that hog action. You know how much I love hunting those hogs! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
DaveShooter

Post by DaveShooter »

IronNoggin wrote:At this point, a fair amount of moisture had been shed, and the links had shrunk a little as a consequence.

The Incredibly Fantastic Smell damn near knocked me over when I opened the two bay doors:

The sausages were Immediately dumped into a large "Coffin" (Fish Cooler) full of ice cold water to drop the heat and halt the cooking process - something that takes ~ 15 minutes or so:

Then onto the racks to "Bloom" overnight:

These did Bloom overnight, and are now into the drying process. Held at 65 degrees F, they can dry up to 6 or 7 days. The product was designed to NOT require refrigeration so as to facilitate riding in your pack for multi-day hunts:

Awoke early this morning to check on them and the whole house smells YUMMY!

Simply HAD to have a Taste! And the verdict is: Houston! We Have A WINNER!!! :wink:
In fact, I believe this is amongst the Very Best we have ever produced!!

This is the Largest batch (77 coils @ over 80 pounds!) we've ever run in all the years working with this stuff. And as much as we may have Whined while doing so, the end result is WELL Worth the effort put in!!

Have a pig hunt lined up in Arizona this summer, and certainly now HOPING to connect on a few! If I don't I then am going to be putting a LOT of Pressure on my Hunting Partner to dig a couple out of the woods here in BC. LOL!

If you happen to be reading this Buddy, I'll be shipping off your end tomorrow...

Cheers!
Nog
Ya all got ya some mighty fine eating there- Enjoy !!!! :D