O/T Copperhead Snake Pic

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rufus

Re: O/T Copperhead Snake Pic

Post by Rufus »

I grew up working on a ranch in south Texas an I'm sorry guys but as far as rattle snakes go, kill them all. The people I know who where bit were not even aware the snakes where there.
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

If all the people in the world shared the philosophy that every snake should be killed on sight, snakes would be eradicated and go extinct. As a result, the rodent population swells to uncountable numbers. Crop fields are devastated by the rodents. Humans die of hunger. The rodents bring disease and the remaining humans die (see plague).

How can anyone subscribe to a philosophy that leads to the extinction of man? :wink:
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Was bite in 79 didn't know it til my left leg from my knee down got as big as a foot ball with clammy feeling and cold sweat, was going thru some hook briers and thought they got me. I'm not afraid of snakes up here in VA. how ever just came back from Tampa the python's are eating every thing that moves, I wouldn't take any of those alive.
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
bubba

Post by bubba »

Been around snakes all my years, and to say [ only good snake is a dead snake] is just wrong. Now I don't care much for the poisonous ones, on my property. And will do whatever it takes to rid them. But the non poisonous black snake king snake all others are welcome... They are completely harmless and help keep the rodents numbers down. don't have any problems with them around at all........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

carvedtip wrote:If all the people in the world shared the philosophy that every snake should be killed on sight, snakes would be eradicated and go extinct. As a result, the rodent population swells to uncountable numbers. Crop fields are devastated by the rodents. Humans die of hunger. The rodents bring disease and the remaining humans die (see plague).

How can anyone subscribe to a philosophy that leads to the extinction of man? :wink:
That's a bit of a stretch dont ya think? :lol: I caught and played with garter snakes as a kid but I dislike snakes in general, and the harmless ones I let go, I understand all things have a purpose. But if I get a chance I'll take out a venomous one every time. It goes back to man's primal distrust and fear of the serpent maybe?
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

Rufus wrote:I grew up working on a ranch in south Texas an I'm sorry guys but as far as rattle snakes go, kill them all. The people I know who where bit were not even aware the snakes where there.

the western diamondback has a temper compared to the more sedate eastern diamondback and is much more common. there is no shortage of them and they are MUCH more likely to bite than their eastern cousins.
norm
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

Kegbelly wrote:
carvedtip wrote:If all the people in the world shared the philosophy that every snake should be killed on sight, snakes would be eradicated and go extinct. As a result, the rodent population swells to uncountable numbers. Crop fields are devastated by the rodents. Humans die of hunger. The rodents bring disease and the remaining humans die (see plague).

That's a bit of a stretch dont ya think? :lol: I caught and played with garter snakes as a kid but I dislike snakes in general, and the harmless ones I let go, I understand all things have a purpose. But if I get a chance I'll take out a venomous one every time. It goes back to man's primal distrust and fear of the serpent maybe?
American Indians managed to live just fine with them and didn't kill them on sight from most accounts I have read. I will not tell you what to do on your own property but if the venomous snakes are protected on the public lands you hunt you should respect that.
norm
frisky

Post by frisky »

coolhl: I watched the video, creapy.
I am not in love with snakes. I will go out of my way to avoid them. They go their way I will go my way. :) :)
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I will go out of my way to avoid them. They go their way I will go my way.
Great attitude for Wi, no copperheads there. My problem is I don't see them til it's too late.....soooo, it's 38 SPL warning shots for them.

The mocs get real possesive late July/August in my 3.5 acre pond......same warning shot for them too.

On average, I warn about 6 a yr :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

I would say you have ample enough reasons to "warn" them based on AK law regarding the subject.

Arkansas:
From the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission:
All native snakes, including venomous snakes, are protected by law and are illegal to kill unless they ‘pose reasonable threat or endangerment to persons or property’ on your private property, according to the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission wildlife code. The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission enforces regulations that prohibit killing nongame species, including snakes, except under limited circumstances.
Evidence indicates some snake species are declining due to habitat destruction and human activities. The Arkansas Wildlife Action Plan (wildlifearkansas.com) identifies seven snake ‘species of concern’ because of declining numbers, including two venomous species, the western diamondback rattlesnake and the Texas coral snake.
carvedtip

Post by carvedtip »

Kegbelly wrote: That's a bit of a stretch dont ya think?

Of course that is what I think, hence the wink.

I wanted to post something so absurd to point out how absurd the opposite statements are saying that all snakes should be killed.
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

carvedtip wrote:
awshucks wrote:Good thread! \

I find it interesting that the “only good snake is a dead snake” contingent have yet to post anything justifying their actions except the statement itself.
what I said is self explanatory, so no need to say more to defend my words.
everyone has their own opinion
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

Deaf jeff wrote:
carvedtip wrote:
awshucks wrote:Good thread! \

I find it interesting that the “only good snake is a dead snake” contingent have yet to post anything justifying their actions except the statement itself.
what I said is self explanatory, so no need to say more.
everyone has their own opinion
That is an odd statement from someone living in the mitt of the lower peninsula. Having lived in Traverse City for a while I know there is only one species of venomous snake in your area and it is very very rare and limited to a few bogs west of Traverse. I have searched and never found one. It is a type of pymy rattlesnake called the massasauga.
now a statement I would agree with would be "the only good feral cat is a dead feral cat".....
norm
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

I find it interesting that the “only good snake is a dead snake” contingent have yet to post anything justifying their actions except the statement itself.[/quote]

what I said is self explanatory, so no need to say more.
everyone has their own opinion[/quote]

That is an odd statement from someone living in the mitt of the lower peninsula. Having lived in Traverse City for a while I know there is only one species of venomous snake in your area and it is very very rare and limited to a few bogs west of Traverse. I have searched and never found one. It is a type of pymy rattlesnake called the massasauga.
now a statement I would agree with would be "the only good feral cat is a dead feral cat".....
norm[/quote]

add wild hogs to that list also
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

I have 18 nonvenomous snakes in my house right now. I have a Florida permit to breed and sell nonvenomous snakes. I sell my snakes for $400 to $700 a piece..I have some breeders worth more than a Scorpyd or two decked out Micros...
who in their right mind would want to kill this???
norm