nocks

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BrotherRon

nocks

Post by BrotherRon »

Just got 1/2 doz arrows I won on another site.
They came with plastic nocks so I ordered aluminum nocks for them.
What nocks do others usually use?
Is there any advantage to particular nocks?

Thanks
Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
bubba

Re: nocks

Post by bubba »

All the stock arrows for Excalibur bows come with the alu, nocks, I have had no problems with them, + and - alu nocks are heavier. plastic are a lot lighter, some say they have problems with them slipping off the string? I have never had that issue, and much prefer them to the alu, Main reason plastic nocks helps me keep my total arrow weight down, and helps with the f.o.c. Just my thoughts, I'm sure others have theirs..........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)

Post by newbie »

i too use plastic nocks and have yet to have an issue with them. They are easier on the rail and string if they get nicked and are easily replaced. Ever smelled the sulphur smell after shooting aluminum nocks? that us the coating on the rail burning from friction.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

My Bee's have plastic and work fine w/ a 200# xbow.......
"Eze 18:21"
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've shot both and absolutely prefer the plastic nocks. I've shot literally thousands of arrows and have never had an issue. I like having the lighter weight on the back end to have the slightly greater foc, as Bubba mentioned. Also, when an aluminum nock gets nicked by another arrow, you need to file out the burr that's created then sand it down smooth and polish it. It's easy enough to do and I did it a lot, but the nicked arrow is out of commission until you get it done. Failure to do so can result in a damaged serving or string or can actually severe the string in half. A damaged plastic nock is simply removed and replaced.
Finally, if you're completely enamored with aluminum nocks and are installing them yourself, don't use epoxy to hold them in place. It's not necessary and will be a nightmare to replace when need be. Rather, use a low temperature archer's glue stick and just use a small amount on the aluminum nock when assembling. This way, when you need to replace it you simply screw a field point into your nock and heat the point with a lighter and it pulls out like butter....with pliers of course. Hot points and fingers don't go well together. :wink: That's my $9.95 (> .02cents)

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Rather, use a low temperature archer's glue stick and just use a small amount
Quote of the day........... :mrgreen:
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

awshucks wrote:
....I wondered what happened to that stuff...all of the bow shops use it but I have never heard of it on this forum before ...yes it is the, "Quote of the day!"

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

amythntr wrote:
awshucks wrote:
....I wondered what happened to that stuff...all of the bow shops use it but I have never heard of it on this forum before ...yes it is the, "Quote of the day!"

Anthony :)
I'm at that stage where I forget what I don't have, what I do have and if I have it.....where is it? Yes, I have some of that glue lol...............it's where it should be in my archery paraphernalia that I haven't used since I switched to carbon 15 years ago.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Ta Da! :mrgreen:
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

I will just leave the plastic ones in then. I have only ever hit one nock with another arrow and have never shot at the same spot since. The plastics ones don't need glued do they?
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

BrotherRon wrote:I will just leave the plastic ones in then. I have only ever hit one nock with another arrow and have never shot at the same spot since. The plastics ones don't need glued do they?
No they don't.
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Thanks everyone :)
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Yep plastic for me, flats all year till hunting season then I put the firenocks on, lighted and full capture,,,,, but all are plastic,,,,till Dorge lets me know what kind of hi tech poly what ever the firenock is made of,,,,:lol:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Remember all the posts on 'how to remove.........? Been a bunch since '06.... :mrgreen:

I'v used hot melt on nocks for years, in the event I ding one, it's the easiest to remove. I've had poor results w/ it on inserts, however. For those, it's gorilla carpenters w/ no water.....Life is good ... :mrgreen:

I didn't know plastic's are not glued. It goes against my grain, lol..... :mrgreen:
Mister B

Post by Mister B »

Put some black plastics in my BE's. Shot good until one day a nock came out and I didn't notice it since it was so much like the same color of the shaft. Shot the arrow without nock. Cut a Boo string. Scared the crap out of me. Went back to Aluminum. Now I've gone to NuFletch lighted nocks without the lite stick in it to practice. Works fine so far...all I have to do is put the light stick back in and I'm ready to hunt. Even if the plastic NuFletch nock comes out, the aluminum base is glued in the shaft so it can act like a nock too and not cut the string. It is as safety and convenience factor for me. Cheers
Micro nightmare (Mini Pearl)
Matrix 355 (the Shrike)
Matrix 330 (the Mini-Mag)
Rage Extreme & slick trick mag BH
Diablo arrows with 2"blazers and Laser II and
BE executioners with 3" Duravanes