SIGHTS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

confederate

SIGHTS

Post by confederate »

Hey guys, I have about decided on the Exocet. Have not made up my mind if I will get a scope or not. I have Shot a compound all these years with a peep so it shouldnt be any different i would assume. I was wondering if I decide to shoot with the Fiber optic Pin, how should I sight in? If I sight in at 25 yards how will I hit at closer ranges and farther ranges?
Matrix 330
Micro Axe 340
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

confederate : This question comes up now and again and I believe the debate always comes out in favor of the scope . I've seen many guy's settle / or start out with the stock fibre optic sights which are effective and have been proven many times but these guys soon switched to scoped bows when the many advantages of a scope became evident ...

Here is a good quote from Woody that I saw on a previous similar thread ....
I'm a firm believer in scoping whatever can be scoped. It gives you a much finer aiming point. IOW- You aren't aiming at a place behind the shoulder of the deer, you are aining at a hair on the place behind the shoulder of the deer.

Besides a scope will give you five aiming points 10 through 50 when about all you can get with a pin sight is 3.

BUT - The very best thing about an Excalibur scope is you shoot in the 20 yard mark and the rest are RIGHT ON THE SPOT. With pins you have to shoot in all of them.
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "
Leo in Ga

Post by Leo in Ga »

I prefer the scope, it just makes everything so much more accurate and removes a lot of the "estimating" required with a single aiming point :D

Have you actually shot one Charles :?: , there are a few places where you can here in Ga., depending where you are located :D

I think the Exocet is a fine choice :D

leo
Deadeye

fill the freezer

Post by Deadeye »

I have a varizone scope and don't use it...In fact I don't can for it..Not because it doesn't work.. It works really well in practice, but on a deer at close range I have a hard time finding the little critter. It use Bill T's original open site the (fiber) optic.. That sucker has killed more deer for me accurately thAn anything else. Go with the open sight and try to keep the shoots with 40 yards and you'll fill the freezer!

deadeye
Blood make's the grass grow, Owh-ay!
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Confederate,

I started off with the fibre-optics. Told myself I didn't need or want anything more. Recently I purchased a vari-zone. I didn't realize how accurate my Exocet was until the first outing with the scope on. If there is a deer fly on that deers' side, you can get the both of them at the same time. If the bolts were smaller you could almost aim for the vitals on that deer fly.

Once sited in at twenty yards, and the speed ring is adjusted to your bow, it will be pretty much dead on at 10/20/30/40 yards(with appropriate pointers). I would have included 50 but I haven't practised out to that range yet.

Fifteen yards? Aim with the mid-way point between 10 and 20yds. No problem, dead-on!!!
oneshot 1

Post by oneshot 1 »

I've been thinking about a Scope.Right now I have one plain Pin.Got it set for right on at 30 yards,aim little low at 20,a little high at 40.Shot it at 3 Deer last Season.3 Deer down.

oneshot 1
Vince (not logged in)

Post by Vince (not logged in) »

Confederate,

Here is some background on my experience's.

I'm a compound bow shooter too, have been for many, many years.
Vertically speaking, Hoyt's are my preference....sorry!
Xbow speaking, Excalibur is the only choice.

I became accustomed to shooting my compound with both eyes open, peep sight and a single pin:
The peep provided consistency in anchor point and the single pin eliminated the multi-pin clutter and achieved an overall better sight picture for me.
PLUS, I like watching the travel path of my arrow on it's way to the target.

With the speed of today's bows and the realistic hunting distances, i saw no reason for 5 pin set-up's.

Sighted-in at 25 yds, i'm 3" high at 15 yds and 3" low at 33 yds.
Knowing my mid-range trajectory is +/- 3" between 0 - 33 yds, i simply
compensate (gap shoot).

It's the same principle i use for sighting-in my single reticule scoped 30.06 rifle.
Sighted-in at 25 yds, i'm 3" high at 100 yds and 3" low at 250 yds.
Anything between muzzle and my realistic shooting distance is within the +/- mid-range trajectory.

To answer your question: without a doubt, a scope will give you the utmost in target picture.
But if you're like me and like to watch the travel path of your arrow, you may want to stay away from a scoped xbow.

I've tried the 2.5x scopes on my Exocet and didn't like using them because i couldn't see my bolts travel path to the target.

I went with a Red Dot scope on my Exocet and have it sighted exactly the same as my vertical.
I shoot it with both eyes open and am very satisfied with it.