what would cause a 405 to smoke a plastic nock?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

otisbrazwell

what would cause a 405 to smoke a plastic nock?

Post by otisbrazwell »

today when shooting my 405 with a 431 grain executioner that had a plastic nock on it things didn't go well..arrow hit 12" right at 50 yrds when I took the arrow out of the target i noticed back end of nock was gone and string had gone 1" into shaft and thats were rest of nock ended up..string is toast on the bow also cut serving and strands on Flemish string..is this what happens when you shoot a heavy arrow that has a plastic nock with a 405? :arrow:
GrassyKnoll

Re: what would cause a 405 to smoke a plastic nock?

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Are you sure the arrow was all the way back against the string before you shot it? It is possible it was not seated fully on the string.

Was this the first shot with this arrow nock combo or have you been shooting it for a while? Maybe the back of the shaft was cracked?

Just a couple ideas...
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger

Post by newbie »

Partial dry fire.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

I know that's what it seems I checked before I shot. it was the first shot from 6
arrows I just had fletched checking the other 5 the knocks didn't fit tight as knocks I had so I replaced them and glued them..
Masboy

Post by Masboy »

I have a power bow that does the same thing with a 440gr. BEE with a plastic nock . It blows the nock apart an the string cuts into the back of the arrow . I switched to aluminum flat nocks an problem solved. the strings black serving leaves one heck of a black mark on the aluminum nock dead center but no problem. some say they have no problem with the plastic nocks but I,m not one of them.
bubba

Post by bubba »

Interesting... First i have ever heard of such a thing.............
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

guess its time for zombies whit aluminum knocks :D
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

My 405 shoots 412fps with a 350gr arrow and a Boo string. I hunt/practice with an arrow that is 395gr. I use plastic nocks exclusively and have never had a problem.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

I have shot 350gr and 395gr with no problem it was a 431gr that failed maybe knock fitting poorly.i did shoot more but at 385gr with glued plastic knocks.just seemed the heavy log didn't move fast enough for the string don't think I would try that again .
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I shot it wid 385gr total arrow wt. 150 shots i put on it, usin the blk plastic nocks never had that happen. Was the string the Monark i sent on it ? I
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Talltines

Post by Talltines »

With my 405 I am shooting around 430 gr arrow but am using ignitors for a nock. Sweet combow. Oh yes they are zombies :D
Scorpyd SLP 165. For now but not for long
New Matrix 405

T/C Encore's MGM 14" 445 supermag
Gary Reeder 16" 41 GNR #2 Encore
Hobie Outback for hitting the Salt.

Too many hobbies and never enough time
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I've never been a fan of plastic nocks. I'll say that up front. I do realize there are some situations where you must use one, i. e. If you want an illuminated nock, but I think plastic nocks fix a problem that doesn't exist, and open up a whole 'nuther can of worms. Now with the higher poundage bows it just amplifies the problem. Nobody has ever crushed an aluminum nock, and nobody has a partial dry fire with aluminum nocks either. And I know that this shooter or that shooter has shot a jillion arrows with plastic nocks and never had a problem. Plastics nocks work perfectly ..... Until they don't! Just my 2 pesos, but I'll shoot alum. Unless I want it illuminated . A glued in aluminum nock has to withstand more than a pressed in plastic nock, and the bows have gotten stronger and stronger. JMO :mrgreen:
How many times that dog gotta bite ya?
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

mike the string was the green gator the bolts that I had fletched had 110 gr inserts the 6 that were fletched had 92 gr..i didn't weigh any until after (dum ass) ..with 100 gr heads they were pretty stout..bows fine strings in the trash can
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

otisbrazwell wrote:I have shot 350gr and 395gr with no problem it was a 431gr that failed maybe knock fitting poorly.i did shoot more but at 385gr with glued plastic knocks.just seemed the heavy log didn't move fast enough for the string don't think I would try that again .
"nock fitting poorly"...... is it possible that the nock itself backed out of the arrow enough to where it would be similar to a partial dry fire :?:
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvesteD
REVX
matrix 355
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
SWAT BROADHEADS
Boo string
Dagriz knife
Normous

Post by Normous »

I have been using the Black Eagles with plastic nocks since Boo started carrying them. I did experience one new never shot BE plastic nock fragment the first time I shot it. BE sent me a replacement and spares when I called them. I think that there might have been a slight flaw in the plastic material that was exposed by my 405.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family