What cover scent do you prefer?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BrotherRon

What cover scent do you prefer?

Post by BrotherRon »

I know that there is a wide variety of cover scents out there, but am wondering what works best for others? I had really good luck using skunk scent years ago, and had deer walk within 10 feet of me when sitting along a fence line with a bottle of skunk scent sitting next to me opened. Recently I have heard of people smoking their cloths with wood smoke.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
xcaliber

Re: What cover scent do you prefer?

Post by xcaliber »

Deer Dander, messy bottles, but good stuff. It is a trail scent. Also, Lowes buck butter, it is a deer bedding scent, works great.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Cohiba Cuban Cigars
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
galamb

Post by galamb »

I don't hunt in an are where the deer see severe pressure - or any pressure for that matter.

That may make my experience different than others.

I don't now and never have used any cover scent of any kind to try and "hide me".

I do put out minerals, feed and use attractant scents (smoke sticks and estrous scent primarily depending on the time of the season).

My last three deer were taken while smoking a cigarette after I had (mentally) given up hunting for the morning and was planning on getting down to get some "brunch" (and try and get the crossbow down off the hook while you have a smoke in one hand and a coffee in the other while perched in a ladder stand - almost like the deer stayed away until they saw me in that predicament).

So depending on where you are (deer around me don't know what sugar beets are as an example) and what kind of pressure the deer may be under (public lands with lots of activity) what may work for "Bob" may not necessarily work for you or even be needed.

Sorry - no suggestions really, but "my experience" has been that cover scent is not needed and it's a massive marketing ploy to separate you from money in your wallet - at least where/when/how "I" hunt.

(ya, I'm long winded)

There was a decent article a few years back in one of the deer hunting magazines. The author went to one of those deer ranches in Texas and made four (4) large scrapes some distance apart and then they put camera's on them to count the number of "deer encounters".

In scrape 1 they put buck urine, number 2 got doe urine, number 3 got human urine (the author) and number 4 (the control scrape) got "new car scent" - the stuff to make your car interior smell nice.

The buck and human urine got the most "visits", the new car scent beat out the doe urine over the one week period.

And while I'm not in Texas, at least those deer not only didn't shy away from human odours/scents, they checked them out more frequently then doe urine.

So tell me why we are trying to hide our scent?
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Generally I just try to go "no scent". But late last year I used some Evercalm. It is just a deer "herd" scent. No data good or bad on it though.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

nchunterkw wrote:Generally I just try to go "no scent". But late last year I used some Evercalm. It is just a deer "herd" scent. No data good or bad on it though.
X2, I would much rather smell like "Nuthin" than synthetic anything.
Riflemanz

Post by Riflemanz »

I spray deer dander on my boots before walking in.
Team Matrix 355
Matrix 355 The Crusher
TT 2 stage trigger
Executioner arrows
Easton XX75 magnums 2219
Xcaliber custom string
Boo Custom String
Vixenmaster Custom string
8ptbuk string
Rocket 3 blade 2" cut
Slick tricks
HSS Vest 30' lifeline
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

I find that fried chicken works great. :shock: Just slather yourself with a couple of drumsticks and your good to go. :wink: :wink:
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

deer smoke screen for me. it not only covers human scent but all the scents associated from my atv that I must use to get to my deer blinds
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

take a shower with no sent soap and your good to go :)
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Only thing I do is store my hunting clothes in the man cave in rubbermaid tub's, and use fresh walnuts, cedar and pine, thats all thge cover scents and depends on where I hunt,,,which tubb I take my clothes from, like M.Miguire said fresh shower, only use a hand made bar soap, made with earth leaves and nuts, it works!!! Hope the Old gal I get it from can keep making it, I keep about a 2 year supply on hand, will buy some more this season!! but I always hunt the wind,,,always! :wink:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

None. When the leaves fall, I can see a half dozen houses from my tree stands. The deer I hunt smell human scent all the time at a distance. I've noticed them pay no attention to me when 40 yards or more downwind since they are used to it. Things change when they get inside of about 20 yards. For that reason, I prefer my shots at around 25 yards.

If I were to use a cover scent, it would be something food based like acorn scent that acts as an attractant more than a cover.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

No scent shower and crushed pine needle juice sprayed on duds. Smells purdy. :lol: Hank
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

The "Hunt Upwind" cover scent and the "Minus 40"cover scent. Both are unconditionally guaranteed.

I make my own mock scrapes and urinate in them too. Two things about that: one - deer will check it out; and two - I'm certain they do not know it was a human that pee'd in the scrape. I have watched them, many times, check out a fake scrape. They have never been spooked.
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

not much on sents .i do use evercalm and scent free soap for shower