What cover scent do you prefer?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

drkeenan

Re: What cover scent do you prefer?

Post by drkeenan »

DuckHunt wrote:None. When the leaves fall, I can see a half dozen houses from my tree stands. The deer I hunt smell human scent all the time at a distance. I've noticed them pay no attention to me when 40 yards or more downwind since they are used to it. Things change when they get inside of about 20 yards. For that reason, I prefer my shots at around 25 yards.

If I were to use a cover scent, it would be something food based like acorn scent that acts as an attractant more than a cover.

DuckHunt
^^^^This
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
Rusty Gate

Post by Rusty Gate »

Typically prefer to go sent free.....but if I'm out for a few days and still at it, I'll hang my outerwear in the cow barn overnight. I figure that should override my own stink with something the deer recognize as "friendly" :wink:

RG
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Species8472 wrote:Cohiba Cuban Cigars
....now dats what I'm talkin bout! 8)

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Big D

Post by Big D »

Scent Killer on all clothing.
Trophy blend whitetail herd in a stick on my boot and then hung near my tree stand. All this after a scent free shower. All clothing scent free in tots in back of truck all season. Base layers stored and put on in basement washed after each use. (multiple pairs washed at one time.)

Had used deer dander with success in past. but stopped using after I tried to call company to find out how many seasons it last. I never received a call back after leaving several messages. The last thing I want to do is use a product that expires and spooks game.

Big D
fredd

Post by fredd »

vanilla extract or vanilla syrup.
jd4223

Post by jd4223 »

I agree with Fredd,however,I put a pumpkin out in the open approx. 20 yards from my stand and pour vanilla extract on the pumpkin.The orange pumpkin is a visual attractant for them and when they smell the vanilla extract on the pumpkin,they get all upset/excited and become distracted while jumping and prancing all around the pumpkin.It's as if they are confused by the scent of vanilla on the pumpkin.They know it's not natural for the pumpkin to smell like that.I watched deer for a good 20 minutes jumping and prancing all around the pumpkin never even paying attention to anything around them.All I had to do was pick which deer to shoot.Only problem was getting a decent shot because the deer wouldn't settle down or stand still.
rayman

Post by rayman »

Redman used to be favorite but quit about 10 years back so just go clean and scent free as possible now. :)
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Deer are just like humans... they can smell two scents at one time. So the deer smell you and the fox pee at the same time... problems is you put fox pee on yourself on purpose... :lol:
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
bgarchery

Post by bgarchery »

We at the shop, and alot of our customers like using the candles, Doe Urine, or the apple scent seem to be popular choices. In all our experience though its best to just have the wind in your face, no better cover scent than your scent being blown away from the deer trail! Try the candles, if you don't like them they make a great prank for intimate dinner parties.
Woody's Sporting Goods-Helping our customers get the most out of their hunting season with sales and service for ALL their bowhunting needs!!!
bubba

Post by bubba »

Scent killer, Dead down wind, and Scent away for me, i also prefer to just be scent free, except for a little earth cover scent...........
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Waif

Post by Waif »

Baking soda for shower. Scent away earth scent dryer sheets for hunting cloths. A half sheet for all, tumbled a while and the used sheet can go in the bag with the cloths. Smells like dirt.
Left an apple,leaves and pine needles in with my cloths during the off season once. Apple was not too happy and had a mild funk about it.
Not as bad as the bag of whole smelt forgotten in a vest returned to the closet after fishing once. Ya, they smelt! Wife at the time had complained and set my spare shoes and boots out of it thinking they were the source. :lol:
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

Gasoline. seriously! with a combo sometimes consisting of diesel fuel and oil. its an occupation hazard & Its been working so far..i don't get winded often..but I could die soon.

But I typically don't use cover scents, I do use an ozone generator for eliminating obnoxious odors from my clothes (me) before going out. last year was my first year trying it and results seem to have been good. If nothing else it prolongs clothing life b/c im not washing in scent free detergent nearly as often.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
otisbrazwell

Post by otisbrazwell »

chain saw gas ,bar oil,diesel fuel all good cover sent as deer are attracted to the logger & skidder in the woods to them it means food (tops,tender buds)..happens all the time fire the saw up and here they come :lol:
BobbyR

Post by BobbyR »

I had to go crap really bad once at about 7:30 am, I covered it with leaves and dirt, but I had no expectations of seeing anything. At 9 am an ear wide 8 point bit the dust while sniffing the area that I had just used! Worked for me on that day, but I honestly would never do that again, unless I was about to mess myself like that morning.
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

Depends where I hunt. If in my back yard in the middle of the day I prefer 87 octane scent with my boot muffling John Deere tractor. I've even driven to within 10 yds with my xbow but it just didn't seem fair!!

https://youtu.be/b7kzC0QZEmw
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera