Reduced Noise Results W/Micro 335

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wildcatter

Reduced Noise Results W/Micro 335

Post by wildcatter »

I have a new (2 months old 70D canon) I did a little video after finishing all the mod's I made to quiet the Micro all I could,,,, I am quite happy with the results and actually I am surprised how well the mods worked. This is only the 3rd video I have made so it is definetly not the greatest, but the sound level is obvious, and cocked loaded, and shot within 3 feet of the camera, and I stick my hand in front of the lense to asure everyone there are no tricks and I am standing right there when I shoot the bow,,,, I myself am quite impressed with how silent this little gem is......
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dcc-MX4JrbY
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
agingcrossbower

Re: Reduced Noise Results W/Micro 335

Post by agingcrossbower »

Very quiet. Could you show us the Mods? Thanks for the video. :D
Good Stuff

Post by Good Stuff »

Tell us what you did to make it quit Catter.
Micro Nightmare
Hawke XB30 Scope
365g at 330 fps
16 inch BEE
Boo String
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I think I remember reading that Catter foam-filled his rail.

I found the Micro to be the quietest crossbow I had ever shot and that was before I did all the common things to deaden vibration. They are sweet shooters for sure.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

agingcrossbower wrote:Very quiet. Could you show us the Mods? Thanks for the video. :D
^^I too would like to know your mods??
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
wabi

Post by wabi »

What kind of nock does that arrow have?
wabi
Bigship

Post by Bigship »

Holy smoke Catter. What did you do, develop a crossbow suppressor in your spare time? My MICRO nightmare sounded like a 22 rifle going off.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Bigship wrote:Holy smoke Catter. What did you do, develop a crossbow suppressor in your spare time? My MICRO nightmare sounded like a 22 rifle going off.
I bet it doesn't if you are not the one shooting it. But that is a REAL quiet one . Nice job.
I thought mine was pretty loud and was thinking on what I might do to it. Colton shot it with me behind him a couple of feet and 4-5 yards. To the side. MUCH different when it's not in my hands!
I would love to know the mods also and break in the new cam with a step by step video. :D
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Thanks guy's!!! when you have the approval from the folks here,,,,you know you got 'r' done,,,, :wink:

1) I waited a week with custom Hydro Dipped camo bow parts for my buddy to get and use his auto acoustic foam, I think this is a big improvement. But it takes a special gun kinda like a caulking gun to apply. He is a car and truck body shop owner, and this acoustic foam they use in new cars was his idea, I think a good one.

2) I put about a 1" long piece of surgical tubing on the arrow holder, then slid a piece of heat shrink tubing over that, once shrunk I slightly bend it up away from the rail to keep a slight amount of pressure on the arrow but not a lot, I then keep it lubed with Scorpion Venom.

3) Then I took a set of Sims Limbsavers,, solid limb dampeners, and carefully cut the the owl ears off one side (save these) then I cut the hard plastic adhesive end that attaches them on the bottom, and last modification to them was to make a slice in the center for some seperation and to allow the wire ties to set down in. This left the dampeners pliable at the bottom to force down in the cutout's in the riser, and with the owl ears cut of one side fit snug up against the side of the riser. By mounting these on the bottom side they are out of sight and I ran wire ties thru the cutout and around the dampeners bulling them tight till they sunk into the dampeners and out of sight, then cut the tag ends off with my diagonals cutters.

4) The owl ears I cut off I used one to glue on the arrow holder, about 3/4 the way up from the end, I glued it on with fletching cement, once setup I took an exacto knife and cut groove out on each side of center, making 3 owl ears sticking up instead of one, this leaves tentacles if you will, to vibrate independent of each other instead of together.

5) off course wrapped the sturip, this was already done when I got the bow from Glenn, but may change the material at a later date.
All in all I spent about 4 hours just preparing and adding the dampening. then I waited a day for the foam to be fully cured. I have a couple other things I think I may add but right now I am quite happy with the system as is.

I wish TT would add a bumper to stop the loud click of the claws slamming against the top of the trigger housing, this would make these little suckers the envy of most folks using bows that still require training wheel to shoot their arrows,,,,,,,, :wink:

almost forgot I also changed the front hardware 2@5/16 x 1 1/2" and 1@ 3/8" x 1 3/4" this was enough to offset the weight I added dampening.
Last edited by wildcatter on Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Forgot 2 other thing,,,,,Flemish string, an arrow around 400 grains,,,I have a couple Boo's come'n but till he get's caught up I have one of Danny Millers on now. I won't shoot any of my bows without one,,, I think they're that good, and they help save my limbs. I'll gladly give up 3 or 4 fps for performance anyday!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

Im wondering if you took rubber under/bed liner spray and sprayed a thin layer of it on the flat parts of where the riser attaches/touches the barrel how that would work for helping control vibration.

Just take the riser off, tape off around the flat sections, spray, let dry and put back on?
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
Kegbelly

Post by Kegbelly »

flightattendant100 wrote:
Bigship wrote:Holy smoke Catter. What did you do, develop a crossbow suppressor in your spare time? My MICRO nightmare sounded like a 22 rifle going off.
I bet it doesn't if you are not the one shooting it. But that is a REAL quiet one . Nice job.
I thought mine was pretty loud and was thinking on what I might do to it. Colton shot it with me behind him a couple of feet and 4-5 yards. To the side. MUCH different when it's not in my hands!
I would love to know the mods also and break in the new cam with a step by step video. :D
Exactly! I thought my 380 was still pretty loud even after all the mods I did (foam rail, wrap stirrup, etc), until I stood beside my buddy while he shot it several times. Big difference! I think a big part of what we perceive as a "loud crossbow" is the shock and vibrations being transmitted through your bones into your head, you're actually hearing it inside your head as well as through your ears. When he shot it I thought wow, that is pretty quiet! :D
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Keg I am going to implement the same process on my Mad Max,,,,I'll let you know how it works. I swear if I could kill the trigger noise of the claws slamming open,,,, it would compete with any vert bow quiet,,, as far as the bed liner I think it is to hard a material, the bed weatherstripping is a very dense foam, about 3/16" or so thick, I think the dense foam is what makes it work so well, wrapping helps but this really made a difference. I think the limbsavers worked better on the riser than they do on the limbs,,,,on the Micro anyway. I've had a Scorpyd, and a Stryker both very quiet, but the Gale Force I had was quieter than both of them, and this Micro will be right there with it!!! Everyone that has shot or listened to it can't believe it can be this quiet. Remember the flemish string and settling for 312 fps with the 412 grain arrows helped to.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
No One

Post by No One »

It beats my 405 to death. I think the wind in the vid was louder then your bow. Nice mods. :D
Matrix 405 Mega ( Sledgehammer )
Black Eagle Executioners
125 gr Grim Reaper Razor Cut.
bgarchery

Post by bgarchery »

Catter, you're the man. We've been selling the Air brakes lately and that takes quite a few decibles off, but you're like the god of mods...that thing was amazingly quiet!
Woody's Sporting Goods-Helping our customers get the most out of their hunting season with sales and service for ALL their bowhunting needs!!!