Brace hight line in my micro is chewing up my serving

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

amythntr

Re: Brace hight line in my micro is chewing up my serving

Post by amythntr »

Bones wrote:My 380 blackout has no line and I get the same black stuff in the same spot as your micro. If it was me, I wouldn't worry . Add to that my serving look's very simular to your's.

....after only 25 shots? :shock:

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Bones

Post by Bones »

amythntr wrote:
Bones wrote:My 380 blackout has no line and I get the same black stuff in the same spot as your micro. If it was me, I wouldn't worry . Add to that my serving look's very simular to your's.

....after only 25 shots? :shock:

Well ya !! and after a how many hundred's still going strong,in great shape with no reserve yet ! Thinkin it's material used ? But I don't build string's. My exo 200 did the same.
MCS

Post by MCS »

Keith that is a nice gesture thanks. Thanks to all who commented with ideas to help. Just so I'm clear. I don't care about the dark lines on the rail, I can clean the rail. It's that dang line they cut into the rail that's causing the problem. I hope they change that idea for future Excalibur owners. Thanks, Mike.

Post by newbie »

newbie wrote:hw many shots are onbtat string? Are you pulling the string into the rail as you cock it?
Are you doing this? As i stated i do that and it's hard on servings.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

newbie wrote:
newbie wrote:hw many shots are onbtat string? Are you pulling the string into the rail as you cock it?
Are you doing this? As i stated i do that and it's hard on servings.
.... I'm gonna take the liberty of answering for MCS here since he is working tonight....

.... I am not sure what that has to do with anything... Reason... The string's starting point is on the trigger side of the line ( if brace height is properly set)... So pulling the string into the rail as one cocks the CB should not have anything to do with it....

..... What MCS was trying to say was the sharpness of the groove comes into play as the string travels during the release and subsequent after shot vibrations until it comes back to rest....

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings

Post by newbie »

... I am going to take the liberty of answering as well for myself. :mrgreen:

...you dont think dragging the string hard into the rail as you cock it wont cause It to wear?

...I am fully aware what MCS was trying to say and as i have said my marks are sharp if you read my posts above.

...I contribute wear that i said was worse to me pulling the string into the rail as i cock it, yes behind said marks to where it latches behind the claws.

...Friction Anthony.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

newbie wrote:... I am going to take the liberty of answering as well for myself. :mrgreen:

...you dont think dragging the string hard into the rail as you cock it wont cause It to wear?

...I am fully aware what MCS was trying to say and as i have said my marks are sharp if you read my posts above.

...I contribute wear that i said was worse to me pulling the string into the rail as i cock it, yes behind said marks to where it latches behind the claws.

...Friction Anthony.
...Mike, I have a copyright on my posting format so don't go be stealing it without royalties :mrgreen:

....I guess we can agree to disagree...I will be more cognizant of how I cock the bow and the position of the string during the process... but if anything...with the bow either between your legs or off to one side I would think you are pulling the string away from the rail not into it...I will report back to you!

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

How many strands in the string ? I'm thinking there might be to much downward pressure because of heavy strand count ? Did the factory string do this also ? I would like to see a pic from the side showing the string angle as it meets the rail .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Nutshell....try to burnish the line and see if that doesn't correct the problem, burnishing shouldn't mess up the finish. If this doesn't fix it you may have to de-burr and polish, but this will affect the finish on the rail. If this is what has to happen I think I would call Excalibur, so that you don't have a new bow with a polished blemish right on top. One of the pics seems to show a pretty good burr on one side of line. I'm bettin' that's the culprit. Let us know what you do and if its a fix.

Post by newbie »

Yes correct Anthony the bow will be in said position unless you can cock it from behind. :shock: In said position you are behind the bow and may not notice pulling the string into the rail. I know i do it but the old dog new trick thing isnt working :wink:.

My string has pronounced fraying on the right side. its the way i cock my bow, left foot in the stirrup and im right handed so exert more force on that side and it results in wear almost exactly the same.

I will burnish my line before i reserve and see iffen it helps.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

newbie wrote:Yes correct Anthony the bow will be in said position unless you can cock it from behind. :shock: In said position you are behind the bow and may not notice pulling the string into the rail. I know i do it but the old dog new trick thing isnt working :wink:.

My string has pronounced fraying on the right side. its the way i cock my bow, left foot in the stirrup and im right handed so exert more force on that side and it results in wear almost exactly the same.

I will burnish my line before i reserve and see iffen it helps.

....Mike, I will be going shooting tomorrow and will be acutely aware of the process of cocking ....Bada Bing 8) ....I will then report back....so many steps...so little time :lol: :lol: :lol: ...and thanks for your input...really! :wink:

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

8ptbuk wrote:How many strands in the string ? I'm thinking there might be to much downward pressure because of heavy strand count ? Did the factory string do this also ? I would like to see a pic from the side showing the string angle as it meets the rail .
27 strands of D97. Factory EL string is 26 strands of D97 served with the same material. Doesn't seem a likely cause to me.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

Thanks for the timely heads up MCS.

Was ready to pull the trigger on a new Micro Nightmare this weekend.
Will now delay pulling the trigger and take a closer look at the brace line before committing.
I am one who really don't care how good Excalibur's CS / warranty is.
Especially on a new bow as in your case with only (25 shoots) when what it requires for you to benefit from the warranty is at your expense the added return shipping costs which can be another $30 to $40 on top of the $1100 after taxes purchase price. Plus having to replace your string / serving due to resulting premature wear $$.

This is something that should be caught before the rail is even installed during assembly at time of manufacturing.

The first thing your pictures make me ask is

WHY? Does the Brace Height Line need to be so aggressive.
It appears to me to be deeper, wider and with sharp square edges than it needs to have.
It's physical appearance alone screams serving slayer.

Thanks
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

colouredchameleon wrote:Thanks for the timely heads up MCS.

Was ready to pull the trigger on a new Micro Nightmare this weekend.
Will now delay pulling the trigger and take a closer look at the brace line before committing.
I am one who really don't care how good Excalibur's CS / warranty is.
Especially on a new bow as in your case with only (25 shoots) when what it requires for you to benefit from the warranty is at your expense the added return shipping costs which can be another $30 to $40 on top of the $1100 after taxes purchase price. Plus having to replace your string / serving due to resulting premature wear $$.

This is something that should be caught before the rail is even installed during assembly at time of manufacturing.

The first thing your pictures make me ask is

WHY? Does the Brace Height Line need to be so aggressive.
It appears to me to be deeper, wider and with sharp square edges than it needs to have.
It's physical appearance alone screams serving slayer.

Thanks
....well said and in total agreement CC...MCS and me were thinking...a "dot on both sides" of top rail would suffice alone...or the line or dots could be on the sides of the rail...or as you said, "much less aggressive"....

....even with those issues (which have resolutions) I, personally would not hold off on buying the Micro...however, it is another issue to consider....remember, nothing is perfect and issues do show up after a period of time....

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

My '13 M355 has no brace lines and am using my '11 Vortex trigger that had work done by Boo. Grant it I do not shoot a lot but enough preseason/season. Swapping out two of his strings from year to year. Those string are in great shape. I do agree brace indicators on the side would be the way to go!
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott