Compound xbow brand

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

SEW

Compound xbow brand

Post by SEW »

What brand/model of a compound xbow(s) do you own in addition to your Exclibur(s)? The reason for asking is wondering is self tuning is a major factor(Mission - can be done w/o a press) or maximum speed/etc -possibly a Scorpyd. I own one Bowteck xbow(Sol 350) , sent as a replacement for a non-repairable Strykeorce, that I have on permanent loan to a friend. So please post what compound you have, if any, or what one you'd like if any even if you don't have it or couldn't afford it.

Solution 350
dutchhunter

Re: Compound xbow brand

Post by dutchhunter »

before I got my first excel from bill t I shot hortons for years along with all my buddys , we shot a ton of deer with them ,the Horton hunter was a great xbow and served us well for many years ,my buddys still us them to this day ,,I did try a ten point a year ago but sold it ,,Dutch
addicted to canadian beaver
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i have owned 4 compound xbows had a parker it broke twice during the hunting season --bow tech 380 limbs kept breaking had a darton serving kept going they wanted to send the front end so they could do the string during hunting season had a ten point not a bad bow hated the forearm on it so tuning was a big problem since then misson has come out .there bows more user friendly the only one i would consider would be a scorpyd but since then i owned 6 excals really been trad all my so this fits me but never say never
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Funny this should come up now. I'll be sticking with my excals but have to admit I'm intrigued by the scorpyds. I've done a little research and from what I've read and people I've talked to that own them that would be about the only compound crossbow I'd consider. I too was concerned with tuning but was surprised to hear from all that they seem to hold their tune for long periods. I spoke to a dear friend that I trust and is a wealth of knowledge who has a couple of them, as well as many excals, and he's shot his for three years and they have maintained perfect tune. This actually quite shocked me. They come with winners choice strings and cables and can launch a 400gr arrow at 440 fps. Apparently you can achieve 1" groups at 100yards, that's impressive! So, that would be my choice. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
RexKay

Post by RexKay »

Scorpyd is the only compound I own. Very smooth and quiet. 135lb Telson. 396fps with 430gr arrow. I can change the string without a press as long as string is intact. Its big and bulky. But its an impressive shooter.
I like things with strings.....
4 Guitars
8 Excals
1 Scorpyd
PSE Tac Elite
13 Grayling Bears
And 2 Hoyts
Big John

Post by Big John »

I have shot a lot of Crossbows! Including compound ones. I shot a Scorpyd a bunch of times. WOW! :shock: Very fast and accurate! But then, one was shot at a 3D right beside me and Blew apart!!! Scary! :shock: Don't know why. But the Bows are good and fast. I would like to own one as well. Another Good bow is the Mission bow. Very quiet, smooth, and accurate. They are up there in price as well but very nice! I also shot Ten Points a bunch. Very good bows, but I don't like the feeling and sound they make. If you shoot one you know the sound I'm talking about.
So...., if I was to get a Compound Crossbow, it would be the Scorpyd or the Mission. With the Scorpyd trumping all other bows in speed and power!

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Boo

Post by Boo »

I have a Wicked Ridge Raider, 150 SZ, 320 Mission and a 150 Ventilator. I sold my RDT 150 and 165.
I would direct you to Scorpyd because of the over all quality and support. I own a Last Chance press but none of the Scorpyds have ever had to go on that press. Yet, the Raider and SZ have (both have crappy strings). I see the biggest advantage of the Scorpyds is the longer stroke, making it more efficient with heavier payloads and the personal support of Jim Kempf.
Having said that, all compounds bore me. I love my Excaliburs! :D
Stay tuned to see what comes of the Bowtech Offspring. From what I hear and see, they may just become one of the best compound bows made. Every time I talk to Danny Miller, he tells me how much he loves his. He's wearing me down and I may/will succumb to the calling! :mrgreen:
BTW, at this point and time, I would not buy a Ten Point. Their current situation is precarious at best. Looking at the numbers, their recall could send them to the poor house. :shock: Sucks to be them!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

The only compound xbow i have ever owned n still have is my Banshee. Its MXB320, i keep waitin on a 350-375 fps model on the shorter 320 platform. I have shot all of their models but the Sniper n its rated to slow to have my interest.Their 360 is really sweet but too long fer my taste
Last edited by vixenmaster on Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

If I had to own a bow with training wheels I'd be all over a Scorpyd. I like the compact, lightweight design and the speeds are off the charts.

I have owned one compound crossbow and I was constantly messing with worn and separated servings, especially on the cams. When strings stretched I was always bringing it in to have it pressed at the local shop because I never owned a press. So...I doubt I'll ever go down that road again!
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Boo wrote:I have a Wicked Ridge Raider, 150 SZ, 320 Mission and a 150 Ventilator. I sold my RDT 150 and 165.
I would direct you to Scorpyd because of the over all quality and support. I own a Last Chance press but none of the Scorpyds have ever had to go on that press. Yet, the Raider and SZ have (both have crappy strings). I see the biggest advantage of the Scorpyds is the longer stroke, making it more efficient with heavier payloads and the personal support of Jim Kempf.
Having said that, all compounds bore me. I love my Excaliburs! :D
Stay tuned to see what comes of the Bowtech Offspring. From what I hear and see, they may just become one of the best compound bows made. Every time I talk to Danny Miller, he tells me how much he loves his. He's wearing me down and I may/will succumb to the calling! :mrgreen:
BTW, at this point and time, I would not buy a Ten Point. Their current situation is precarious at best. Looking at the numbers, their recall could send them to the poor house. :shock: Sucks to be them!
Danny has talked to me too, about the Bowtech Offspring. Seems every call is a little better. If Danny Miller says it a " Good 'un", then I suspect it is. Danny is not afraid of the compounds, having been in on the design of the Buckmaster/ Maxpoint, bows which he told me recently he considered to be at least one of the finest compound crossbows ever made.
I have never even shot a Scorpyd, but have only heard good things, and their speed is impressive .
bubba

Post by bubba »

That scorpyd speed rating is out there...Never seen one except in pictures and its one mean looking sucker..And the reviews and ratings are really good. I thought i would be shooting my old mathews forever.. Never really had any major problems i could not fix.Except for my shoulder giving out. Any how happy with my Excalibur, and to old to change now.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
SEW

Post by SEW »

Please keep the posts coming. I expected to see 2 predominate brands: Mission (tunability) and Scorpyd (speed/accuracy).
I plan to stay with my 2 Matrix Xbows for many years as a fair amount has been spent on each, and they will truly group 1 1/2" 3-shot groups @ 100 yds. Arrows get there before 1 second. My efforts to quieten the 2 xbows have taken a toll on speed: 350 and 375'/sec with almost 400g arrows. Additional to the extreme quietness is the smoothness, lack of hand shock and maybe slightly greater accuracy. Out to 80 yds they will stay at or below 1" groups.
With all that the M405 can do, repeatability and accuracy-wise, something would have to be a lot faster to have any advantage performance-wise. Probably >410'/sec and very accurate (and reliable) would be needed to actually give a meaningful performance advantage.
Though I am reluctant to post my maximum kill and hunting ranges, I do frequently long range hunt and will continue to have an interest in crossbows with long range potential.
FWIW, I've never lost an animal shot at over 50 yds with an arrow. Surely, some day I will, but the percentage will still be low. FOCs and SFs have brought down over 60 deer with no losses. The FOC is so forgiving!
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

I have owned a Horton , 2 Barnetts,and a Tenpoint after I got my first Excal. I said goodbye to all those inferior bows. But if I had to buy a compound Xbow I would look at CamX. They only make one model and I have never heard anything bad about the bow or the guy who builds them. Made for hunters by a hunter.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
frisky

Post by frisky »

I have 2 compounds plus my Phoenix
1. My PSE Copperhead is entry level. A lot of bow but still entry. My first bow.
2. A Ten Point , Turbo XLT. Very narrow front end 17 1/2 axel to axel. And, yes it has a GOOD safty. I like it in a tree stand, easy to swing back and forth :D
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
xbowrook

Post by xbowrook »

I don't think I'd own one.... I love the simplicity of my Excal and the recurve limbs... Like that I can change the string in seconds... But, if I absolutely HAD to get one, it would be the Scorpyd....amazing look, compact and blazing speeds without sacrificing accuracy... But I love my Excalibur, don't see myself swaying from the perfect crossbow....
Excalibur Matrix 330 Bulldog Suppressed, 18" Diablo bolts, 100 grain Rage Crossbow X blade