Smallest Deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wildcatter

Re: Smallest Deer

Post by wildcatter »

My question is what is a antlered tag??? A male deer does not qualify for a antlered deer tag in the three states I hunt if they don't carry at least 3" of antler on at least one side, some states require 5" before it is a buck!!!

An antlerless tag is all that is needed for a spike or button buck if it has less than 3" of horn in Ohio.....

I would think a button is not called an antler???
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

wildcatter wrote:My question is what is a antlered tag??? A male deer does not qualify for a antlered deer tag in the three states I hunt if they don't carry at least 3" of antler on at least one side, some states require 5" before it is a buck!!!

An antlerless tag is all that is needed for a spike or button buck if it has less than 3" of horn in Ohio.....

I would think a button is not called an antler???
In Ontario (where One shot and I both hunt) there are the following types of tags:

- "antlered only" valid anywhere in the province. Deer must have 3 inches of antler on at least one side.
- "antlered" valid anywhere in the province or "antlerless" in a specific wildlife management unit.
- "antlered" valid only in a specific wildlife management unit (these are usually additionals)
- "antlered or antlerless" valid only in a specific wildlife management unit (these are usually additionals)
- "antlerless" valid only in a specific wildlife management unit (these are usually additionals)

Where "antlered" means any deer with at least 3 inches of antler on at least one side.

"Antlerless" in Ontario includes button bucks and/or any buck that has already shed or lost its antlers for some other reason.
Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I lived and hunted in Central Ohio for 17 yrs. Now I live in North Carolina and they are all small!!! :lol:

With my organization, Backyard Bow Pro, we hunt a lot to help manage and control deer for the landowners and to donate to the food banks. So I'll take whatever is legal, and routinely do. Although I had a young button buck in on me last year........ I was in a ghille suit on the edge of a field and he came in so close I could hear him ripping the grass out of the ground to eat it (that's why I knew he was a button)......and that is saying something because I can't hear squat. Could still see the spots, so he got a pass. I usually joke and say the spots are like targets on those "fork-tender" deer, but I just couldn't pop that one. Had it been later and no spots - would have shot for sure.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><