Excal Speed vs; arrow weight?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

L. E. Carroll

Excal Speed vs; arrow weight?

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Is there some correlation or chart I can use to calculate or look up speed and "Drop rates" I may expect with a Matrix-355 using arrows above 350fps ? For instance, 375 grns., 400, 415 and 425 ? These are weights I''m looking at hitting while putting arrows together for the 355 I have on the way. Any any results at these target speeds and weights would be appreciated...

I looking for this info with a scope purchase in mind that may not have a speed ring.

Thank's Gene
Last edited by L. E. Carroll on Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Kegbelly

Re: Excal Speed vs; arrow weight?

Post by Kegbelly »

I think the general rule of thumb is about 6 to 7 fps loss for every 25 grains you go up in arrow weight beyond 350 grains. It varies from bow to bow due to slight differences in limb stiffness, type of string, etc, the only way to know exactly what your bow does is to chrony it with different weight arrows and see where you're at.
Matrix 380
18" Zombies, 400 gr w/ 125 gr Magnus Stingers & Lumenoks
Exomag
20" Zombies, 380 gr w/ 100 gr Magnus Stingers
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Very true words there. If I based my calculations on the data from my 355 you would be around 339 - 341 FPS with 393 total grains. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Gene, do yourself a favour and either get a variable power scope or an HHA Optimizer. The great deal on a fixed power scope with preset yardage marks may cause a lot of frustration trying to match your setup to that scope. My two bits. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Thank's all, my plans are to put a Nikon Bolt on a M-355 real soon and I'm trying to see ahead of chrono. time what distance I may expect the bow to be " on " at the preset referance points in the scope, as I don't think the " Bolt" has a speed ring .... but does use a "Spot on" chart that can give some idea .. Dan made me up some 17" Zombies which will be very close to 393 Gns. with 100 gn G-5 montec's and 418 gn. with 125's. so I'm just planning ahead. :D

BTW, neither the bow nor arrows are here yet but are in the mail. I'm just making " scope plans" for the near future. :P

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Isn't the Nikon Bolt a variable power scope? I know there are many here that use it.

Post by newbie »

Paul it is not its fixed I believe at 3X
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Gene, I have swapped scopes on my bows, and put the Bolt on my Micro. I did find my chart from the 355, and it was setup like this.
393 grains
339 FPS
20 yards crosshair
30 yards first circle
47 yards second circle
60 yards third circle
67 yards fourth circle

What I did was set mine 2" high at 20 yards, and that put me dead on at 50 with the third circle, bottom of second circle was 40 yards! Go to Nikon BDC, and select crossbow, enter your data, and try it out at the range!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

xcaliber wrote:Gene, I have swapped scopes on my bows, and put the Bolt on my Micro. I did find my chart from the 355, and it was setup like this.
393 grains
339 FPS
20 yards crosshair
30 yards first circle
47 yards second circle
60 yards third circle
67 yards fourth circle

What I did was set mine 2" high at 20 yards, and that put me dead on at 50 with the third circle, bottom of second circle was 40 yards! Go to Nikon BDC, and select crossbow, enter your data, and try it out at the range!
Hmmmm, I don't want to step on any toes as I realize that we all have different needs...... but it seems to me that there are far better options available with distinct hash marks that can be set up in ten yard increments regardless of the setup you have. I really hope it works out for you but for my application that would be completely unusable.. Sorry.

Paul
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Paul, you are correct, and it does take a bit of getting used to. I like it for hunting, and plan to take shots inside 40 yards, it works great for that, but for 3D, it would not win prizes! :wink: For the price these days, and a completely adjustable scope, Hawke might be a good choice for a short model, I like my Redfield Revenge on the 355. My next will be Crossbones most likely!
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

xcaliber wrote:Paul, you are correct, and it does take a bit of getting used to. I like it for hunting, and plan to take shots inside 40 yards, it works great for that, but for 3D, it would not win prizes! :wink: For the price these days, and a completely adjustable scope, Hawke might be a good choice for a short model, I like my Redfield Revenge on the 355. My next will be Crossbones most likely!
I hear ya. If it's a close range hunter and all you're looking for is minute of deer accuracy there you go. Still, the OCD in me would never allow it as the sky may cave in over my head. :lol:

Paul
Bigship

Post by Bigship »

Take a look at Pete Ward's ballistic calculator.http://peteward.com/ballistic.calc.htm
Shoebuck

Post by Shoebuck »

I have a Nikon Bolt on both of my Micros. I am shooting 397 gr. Black Eagle Zombie at 328 to 330 fps. My crosshairs are set at 20 yds. the first circle is 30 yds and the second is 40 yds. The next circle is still a question mark, but I have no intentions of shooting beyond 40 yds at a deer. I tried scopes with crosshairs and for me the brightness and clarity of the Nikon won out. I highly recommend the Nikon. Dave
Micro 335 Camo
Micro 335 Nightmare
Black Eagle Zombies
Spynal Double Tapps
Slick Trick Mag
Wac'em Broadheads
DeerBoy Strings
Xcalibur Strings
8-PtBuck Strings
Nikon Bolt
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

The older wide models are real close to 5 gr= 1 fps. The newer ones are more like 3 gr = 1 fps.
"Eze 18:21"