New 405 problems

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Cobra

New 405 problems

Post by Cobra »

Just unboxed my Matrix 405 and put it together. After my third shot I noticed the inside of the limbs had lines in the camo. After looking at it closer they are pretty deep. Any idea whats going on? It's on both limbs but more on the right one.
Normous

Re: New 405 problems

Post by Normous »

The cosmetic lines that you see are cosmetic only and will not affect the performance of your Excalibur one bit. Each limb is hand made and some have more cosmetic character lines and some less.
No worries, shoot in confidence and keep your brace height correct.
Welcome to the forum.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Run a cotton ball gently back and forth along that line. I'm betting nothing catches but that's how to make sure you haven't got a splintered limb. What you're describing is normal and part of the manufacturing process. Don't get hung up on that. Make sure you have the right brace height before shooting your bow because every string will stretch and settle causing too low of a brace height. If you don't know what the brace height is or how to measure it and adjust it don't be shy to ask. All the fine folks here are more than glad to help, including me. :wink: .....now enjoy that smasher of a new bow you've got. :D

Paul

......X2 what Normous said. He's quicker on the draw than me and is one of those folks I was referring to. :mrgreen:
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

There is some great advice!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Big John

Post by Big John »

Purely cosmetic! 8)
As stated previous, "Watch Braceheight" this is number one issue.
Number two is partial dryfire. Not making sure the arrow is completely inserted all the way forward to string!!! Right up to the shot!

Have Great Fun! That is really a Beast!!! :D

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

These are what I have on my Lynx, 8 months ago they look the same they do today. Image

Looked scary but man does this thing continue to shoot great, and 5 shot groups within .9 fps of each other. Shooting 382 with a 351 grain arrow.
Last edited by wildcatter on Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

Mine are going from left to right and look and feel more like splintering. I'll take some pictures in the am. My string is pushing down very hard on the rubber stops so brace height is ZERO. What should it be and how would I adjust it on a cross bow. Thanks for all of y'all's help. This thing is wicked fast!!!
Tom

Post by Tom »

Cobra wrote:Mine are going from left to right and look and feel more like splintering. I'll take some pictures in the am. My string is pushing down very hard on the rubber stops so brace height is ZERO. What should it be and how would I adjust it on a cross bow. Thanks for all of y'all's help. This thing is wicked fast!!!
If your limb has splintered, the cottonball test will show that. If your string is against the rubber stoppers, your brace height is too low. There should be 1/4" between the string and the bumpers.

Remove one end of the string and add twists (twist in same direction as already in string) to increase your brace height.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Cobra wrote:Mine are going from left to right and look and feel more like splintering. I'll take some pictures in the am. My string is pushing down very hard on the rubber stops so brace height is ZERO. What should it be and how would I adjust it on a cross bow. Thanks for all of y'all's help. This thing is wicked fast!!!
You need a crossbow stringer BADLY. Don't shoot anymore until you get one. In the mean time you can read and watch how to use one in the DVD catalogue located to your left in the blue side bar. The gurus here will tell you how to set your brace height specific to your 405. Congrats on a wicked bow. Safe shootin,
Hank
CrazyAce

Post by CrazyAce »

I happened to have done a lot of research prior to buying my 405. So I ordered a stringer from excalibur as well. My bow came with 0 brace height as well. Don't know how long they've sat on the shelves and since they come already strung they likely stretched since manufacture. Added some twists and now my brace height is at 3/16th.
-SnotRocket-
Matrix 405
DLX scope
TriggerTech 2.5#
DrStirrup rig
8ptbuk, vixenmaster, Boo Flemish String
Zombie Slayer, Executioner
Wabi Call
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

As said, stop shooting until you can adjust the brace height!
The brace height is the distance from the seem on top of the rail where it meets the riser/limb assembly to the front of the string. You should be at about 3/4" or 1/4" off the bumpers.
To adjust your brace height, or change your string, or work on your front end (riser/limb assembly) you need a stringing aid. What you got with your bow to load it is the cocking aid. The stringing aid goes over each limb and you cock it using your cocking aid. You then remove one end of the string and twist it to make it shorter and reattach it. Let down the cocking aid as you would unload the bow. Check your brace height and repeat as necessary.
Keep a close eye on your brace height as your string will stretch and settle quite a bit initially but will slow down once it's settled. Notice I said slow down and not stop stretching. Enjoy and have fun.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

Here is the video for the using the string changer.... Look at 2:25 especially for the 405 as you will not be able to pull the string changer into the trigger group without using your rope cocking aid...

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/videos/player/374
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Cobra

Post by Cobra »

I called Woodys today and have a stringer and wax on the way. Would of been nice if a stringer would of come with the bow from the factory.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Cobra wrote:I called Woodys today and have a stringer and wax on the way. Would of been nice if a stringer would of come with the bow from the factory.

Whoever sold you ANY recurve crossbow without a stringing aid needs to give his head a shake. We have been screaming it for a while here on the forum, it needs to be standard issued in that package...bottom line.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, that's what's so great about the forum. You'll learn a ton. Fire away! But done shoot that bow until you get yourself a stringing aid in hand! :lol: welcome to the forum.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
CrazyAce

Post by CrazyAce »

racking up points wrote:
Cobra wrote:I called Woodys today and have a stringer and wax on the way. Would of been nice if a stringer would of come with the bow from the factory.

Whoever sold you ANY recurve crossbow without a stringing aid needs to give his head a shake. We have been screaming it for a while here on the forum, it needs to be standard issued in that package...bottom line.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, that's what's so great about the forum. You'll learn a ton. Fire away! But done shoot that bow until you get yourself a stringing aid in hand! :lol: welcome to the forum.
agree x2
-SnotRocket-
Matrix 405
DLX scope
TriggerTech 2.5#
DrStirrup rig
8ptbuk, vixenmaster, Boo Flemish String
Zombie Slayer, Executioner
Wabi Call