Limb ratings.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BrotherRon

Limb ratings.

Post by BrotherRon »

will the limbs with a higher rating be closer to advertised speeds?
My 310 limbs have 95.5 on them, and the ones on my 330 have 104 on them.

Just curious.
Ron.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
xcaliber

Re: Limb ratings.

Post by xcaliber »

Well the higher the number, the more pounds to deflection from what I understand, so yes, higher number, more power. I don't know what rating is used to evaluate speed rating, but my guess would be 95. Boo would probably know for sure. 104 should be SMOKE! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

Thanks
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

BrotherRon wrote:will the limbs with a higher rating be closer to advertised speeds?
My 310 limbs have 95.5 on them, and the ones on my 330 have 104 on them.

Just curious.
Ron.
Where are these numbers located?,,,my guess is on the inside of the limbs that attatch to the riser?? :?: :roll:
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

interesting..my 380 has limbs with a 104 deflection
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

They don't mean much as far as poundage goes. When I toured the factory in '12, there were nine numbers from 1 to 9. These were on the wider models.

There wasn't 2 # diff in them...... :mrgreen:
"Eze 18:21"
Normous

Post by Normous »

Read the post by the Excalibur Marketing Dude:

http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... 34#p551534
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

In my experience, the higher rated limbs are faster.

I have also found that there is more than 2fps to be gained by higher poundage limbs, (that may have been true for the EXO series but it's not for the new bows). I have tested this on 3 bows, (2 Matrix, 1 Micro), and in each case, the higher number produced more speed, sometimes by as much as 15fps but usually less. In no way is that a definitive study, it's a small sample size, but in my experience, yes it makes a difference, sometimes a big difference.

With that being said, as long as you're accurate a few FPS isn't going to change much of anything except the display on your chronograph. Another thing to consider, and I have this from The Man in Ohio himself, is that the higher deflection limbs are more prone to splintering and I can certainly my attest to that.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

As previously mentioned, you can't really compare one limb number to another. As an example, we just recalibrated our machine and limbs that use to show a 102 number can now be a 75. The number is only used to match limbs to avoid tiller issues and has little to do with the performance. I personally think we should use some code to avoid confusion.

You wouldn't believe how many phone calls we get where people want new limbs because their number is lower than their buddies limbs. :D If the number on your limbs is within .5 of each other you have a perfectly matched set of limbs and are good to go!

Peter
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

CC
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I'm fully with Marketing Dude, and could care less what number is on a said set of limbs, on my Matrix I had limbs that paired as 96-96.5, 97-97.5, 98.5-99 and 99-99, these were all 380's, the 97-97.5 set gave me my my most consistent speeds, and shot 10 shot strings with the closest Extreme Spread for a 10 shot string, keeping every arrow within .8 fps of each other. The 98.5-99 set gave me my highest speeds.

Now saying that,,, it is meaningless, as the fastest limbs shot 3 fps faster than the slowest set. I have said before 10 fps is totally meaningless for out to 50 yards, as long as each shot is the same. You are talking about 1.5" more drop at 50 yards. This means if you have a multi reticle scope setup at 10 yard increments it will be off 2 yards, or the 50 yard reticle will be 48 yards with the same speed (power) setting. I personally could care less how they label them as long as they are equal as a pair. and total believe .5 difference is meaningless!! I just want them to hold up, and will use arrows over 420 grains to help that happen, as I am killing deer with enough power to take cape buffalo as it is!!!! :wink:
Last edited by wildcatter on Fri Jun 12, 2015 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!

Post by newbie »

colouredchameleon wrote:Interesting discussion.
I'm appreciated the Marketing Dudes honesty on the calibration issues with the test equipment .
(102 vs 75) WOW!!!!!! concerns me alot more than the original question by "BrotherRon".
Unless I missed something logic tells me that the limb deflection test proceduce is NOT destructive. Which should make it easy to setup a simple control test procedure ensuring calibration is mantained within an established acceptable range.
It could be as simple as doing a reqular / daily / weekly control test on a established set of limbs throughtout the acceptable measure range as a test calibration check.
Quality Asurance 101 (understanding and minimizing test error)
I think you are are taking Peters post wrong. The equipment wasnt over rating the limbs. They changed how it displays the test information ie. same limbs that used to test at 102 now read a 75. I have no idea what the numbers represent Peter would but what he is saying as long as they match within .5 the numbera are otherwise meaningless.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
racking up points

Recalibrating the scale on that machine makes comparing older versions to new ones useless. But unless that scale has been drastically recalibrated and often in the past, there should still exist a relatively reliable baseline for us to compare one limb number to another. Has anyone ever seen a lower rated limb outperform a higher rated limb when all other variables were controlled? I have not.

Let's say something rated 102 and is now a 75 using the new "scale." Then an older 106 would still be heavier than something rated with 75 on the new scale.

To me, if I could add even just 10fps to my setup, I would do it. Even if it's overkill, even if it means just 1 1/2" @ 50y, I think the benefit is worth it. To a 3D shooter, that could mean being in or out of the 12-ring but for deer hunting, it won't make a damn of a difference.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

CC
Last edited by colouredchameleon on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
racking up points

colouredchameleon wrote:
newbie wrote:
I think you are are taking Peters post wrong. The equipment wasnt over rating the limbs. They changed how it displays the test information ie. same limbs that used to test at 102 now read a 75. I have no idea what the numbers represent Peter would but what he is saying as long as they match within .5 the numbera are otherwise meaningless.
re-
prefix
indicating return to a previous condition, restoration,

Word Origin and History for re-

word-forming element meaning "back to the original place"

as in Re-calibrate[/quote]

Well thanks for clearing that up, CC. :roll:
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits