335 vs 380 vs 405 limb and engineering stresses

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

MickB

335 vs 380 vs 405 limb and engineering stresses

Post by MickB »

guys obviously the speed bows put more stresses on materials. Is there any noticeable differences between the 380 and 405 in durability/warranty returns? I ask as I am in Australia looking to get either one of these or even a 335( just because it looks so cool).
While we do have the warranty, obviously returns are not timely. In my shoes which would you choose? Does the 380's lower poundage relieve some manufacturing stresses(or buyer stress if nothing else) over the 405, and where does the 335 sit.

I received advice on another thread to possibly steer clear of these high poundage bows just because we are so far away from north america. However I am pretty keen to give one a try anyways.

Thanks for any help stacking the odds in my favor with the best choice.
paulaboutform

Re: 335 vs 380 vs 405 limb and engineering stresses

Post by paulaboutform »

Hi Mick. I'm a huge fan of the 380 and am building a custom 40...5 :wink: . I'm not a huge fan of the 335 just because I don't feel the effort equals or surpasses the gains. Meaning, to me it felt at least equal to drawing a 405 but only getting 335-345fps best case scenario. The plus is it's tiny, light and well balanced. This is just my own opinion and it seems everyone else loves them. As much as I love my matrix bows if I was in your position I'd seriously be looking at a Vortex or Equinox. I believe they're just gentler on everything because of the added size. Another option that I'd suggest if you're dead set on one of the heavy hitters is to buy a second bow, used, here on the forum. I'd look at one of the bows I mentioned. If it's doable financially I'd say that's the best insurance you could buy. Remember, Bill Troubridge shot a big bull elephant with the Equinox. Anyway, sorry for being so long winded but with the turnaround time to another continent great customer service wouldn't be much help. Best of luck.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I'm curious as to why you left out the best Matrix of all :roll: That would be the 355 :P Plenty of speed, great trajectory, not as much stress on the limbs and not hard to pull for the performance given. :wink:

Just my $ .02 , of course I'm new to X-bows but I'm sure happy with the 355 I got in trade for my 330. :D

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
luckymike

Post by luckymike »

Love my m355!!
matrix 355,330
slicktrick 125
black eagle executioners
vixenmaster strings
nikon bolt
triggertech
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Here's my thinking. If the 335 was on your short list, then speed isn't a make or break for you.

Go with a Matrix 330, especially if you are a regular shooter. It's more reliable. I have owned a 380, I own a 405 and I own a Micro. I live in Ontario, a few hours away from the factory so returns are not an issue for me. But living down under like you do, go with a Matrix 330 and you'll never need to send your bow back to Canada to visit the warranty department.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

At this time, a Micro would not be my 1st choice as an only model in hand. Either the Matrix355 or the Equinox!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....As an owner of the 380 and the 335 (the only Excal CB's I have owned)...I have to defer to the above postings...If I lived in a part of the globe where getting warranty service would be an issue...I would definitely get one of their most reliable XB's out there along with some spare parts or a second XB ($'s not an issue)...these members know what they are talking about!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
MickB

Post by MickB »

Thanks for the good advice folks. You know I wish Excalibur would make another full sized high poundage bow, like an equinox that runs to 400+ fps with less pressure on everything. I guess the compact angle sells the most units though. Just a short disclaimer, I don't want to make our situation sound too bad here, the importer has said the Excalibur warranty stands and he also has spare parts, however I would assume its not the same as having Danny on hand and Canada a couple days shipping away of course.

Well I will have to take a look at the 355 and equinox and get my interest levels around them. My only other crossbow and excal experience was one of the earliest exomax's in Australia 15+ years or so ago, back when it was top of the tops, great item. Maybe that is another option too, there is cheap stock of them still lying around I could probably grab a couple of units.

Were these as reliable as the following equinox and matrix 355?
flinthead

Post by flinthead »

Get the 355... 8)
Vixen II
Ibex
Vortex
Swhacker Broadheads
MickB

Post by MickB »

I just might do!

actually a really helpful question would be what is a list of possible problems to be found, particularly with the heavier bows,which I could maybe order spares for? I could afford new limbs or get another set. Do any screws or mechanical parts fail? Ever any irreparable issues that cannot be switched out and thus do need an Excalibur tech only?
BrotherRon

Post by BrotherRon »

some very good advice given here, and you have done your research :)
Any of the older style ones with longer limbs are a good choice because there is less stress involved. Likewise, there is also less stress on the smaller Matrix 330 & 355 than there is with the 380, 405, and micro ones.
Matrix 310 ~ Hawke XB30 Pro SR ~ TT~Plano 36" All Weather Tactical Hard Case.
Danny Miller Top Mount Quiver.
Strings by Boo ~ nchunterkw ~ 8ptbuk
Jeremiah 29:13 :thumbup:
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

MickB wrote:I just might do!

actually a really helpful question would be what is a list of possible problems to be found, particularly with the heavier bows,which I could maybe order spares for? I could afford new limbs or get another set. Do any screws or mechanical parts fail? Ever any irreparable issues that cannot be switched out and thus do need an Excalibur tech only?
Mick, I'll certainly defer to the much more experienced folks but I believe the main issues to deal with would be limbs. As far as hardware I suggest having spare scope mount screws because the button head screws tend to strip the heads. Recommended would be replacing them with socket head cap screws. Also, get spare strings. I'd suggest having three or four on hand and go with the Flemish Twist strings. The S5 bumpers are a great idea but for half the price get the Danny Miller rubber baby buggy bumpers....and buy some extra rubber bumpers.
I'd be looking at being as self sufficient as possible, I do it here and would certainly do it there.
That to me would mean : *being able to work on my own bow (lots of help here)
*re serving my own string as needed *building and repairing my own arrows *having spare fasteners for the bow, spare nocks, points, inserts, fletching.

I can't comment on the 355 but if I was looking at a matrix, there, it would probably be the 330. You may also want to check out an HHA Optimizer. I wouldn't be without one. Also, if you buy a bow that doesn't come with the ADF (anti dry fire) absolutely get one! ADF IS A MUST HAVE!

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

PM sent
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
bubba

Post by bubba »

I think the 355 matrix, or the equinox or vortex would be great choices, hardly ever hear of any problems, and all have plenty of speed and power. I'm not a fan of the mini max, and as much as i like the 380 matrix, there has been quite a few limb problems, Living here in the states its only a couple weeks at best turn around time for repairs, but you being across the big pond is another story. Also as mentioned the 330 matrix is a great pick also. Let us know what you decide.. Good Luck...
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
SEW

Post by SEW »

Let's think about Consumers Reports car/truck ratings. Vehicles have gotten so reliable that a car like the 2013 Honda Accord EX-L V-6 was not recommended. Why? Something like 8% of the owners had to get a reprogramming of the radio/electronics equipment. Otherwise, it had virtually all, if not all, red circles. But the 8% of that one item gave it an "unreliable" score, ie, don't buy. 30 minutes at the Honda dealership fixing this gave it virtually all, if not all, red circles.

Now to the 380/405: how many are out there? How many have had problems? 8%? Likely less. I shoot my 380 & 405 a lot. No problems. However, no dry fires, no arrows below 396g except once to test speed, ie, not abused.
If I lived where service was hard to get, I'd have a 405 and a 355. Where I live, a 380 & a 405.
I disagree with having standard 'crossbow ranges'. I believe the faster the crossbow, all else equal - same arrow weight/drag, the greater that crossbow's range. So the M355's "ethical " range is less than the M405's "ethical" range.
Not to go off on a tangent, but so much plays into "ethical" range that for the same hunter with the same xbow, the max ethical range can vary tremendously.
I know this'll create a stir, but with a great stand, great rest, well set up M405, no wind, good range finder, adequate scope or adequate scope plus Optimizer, sleeping deer or resting deer facing away laying down, a 100 yd shot would be "ethical" if adequate practice to and maybe past that range had been done. Coyotes that far haven't been a problem with either bow. A M355 would have somewhat less range potential.